New Cell Phone, Not Doing Well With It

quietspirit

This past Friday, I received my free 5G phone from AT&T. This is the fifth day and I still have not got it mastered. Just this morning figured out the texting process. I have a few questions I would like to ask the company. But I don't know how I will come across if I do. I don't want to appear to be a crabby old woman nor do I want to come across as a stupid woman who has no business having a smart phone. I had to make a trip across town to get help getting this new one open to place the battery inside. I was supposed to open my old phone and then place the SIM card of the old phone in the new one. TODAY, I found out online that if the old phones SIM card didn't fit the new phone, I was to get a SIM card kit. No one mentioned anything about getting any kind of kit. Forgive me if I have offended anyone with this rant.

Hubby used to be a computer techie. (15 years ago, but he did know how to set up business networks.) I am that stupid, and crabby, old woman.

Β 

He liked playing around with cellphones. I managed to go through seven months with constantly emergency situations without ever needing a phone. So he talked me into getting a smartphone. Sure enough our old SIM didn't fit into the new one. (Sure enough I still have no idea how to do that.) But hubby could. In ten days.

Β 

We reverted to fliptop because I couldn't figure out the snazzy new. After not using the new phone for two months, I noticed it was gone from my handbag. (I don't think anyone stole it, since no one used it. I also lost three pens, so probably picked up my bag upside down and never noticed.) I canceled the phone. And have never noticed the difference.

Β 

Next time, don't worry about the young'ns in a store thinking you're old, stupid, or crabby. After all, you'll remember them a minute longer than they'll remember you. Truth be known, strangers rarely think about others beyond five minutes, if even that long.

Β 

Viva la old, crabby, stupid women! (At least we're smart enough to know what we are.Β πŸ˜†)

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Spaulding said:

Viva la old, crabby, stupid women! (At least we're smart enough to know what we are.Β πŸ˜†)

Β 

Yes, I have my moments with being an old, crabby, stupid woman. I think we all do in the face of certain trials in our lives.

Β 

• Like 1

Take the phone back to the AT&T store, plunk it on the counter and tell them that you got a free phone from them, but the SIM card doesn't fit. Tell them you'd like to keep all your contacts etc. that are on your old SIM card.Β  They replaced my SIM card without a charge, and I didn't have to get any kit.

Β 

Don't worry about the old crabby lady thing. Just be sweet, and everything will be fine. πŸ™‚

Β 

Β 

Is your phone a smart phone or one of the older style flip phones, just upgraded to 5G?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Emily Waldorf said:

Β 

Is your phone a smart phone or one of the older style flip phones, just upgraded to 5G?

Β 

Β Thank you for this advice. I plan to do some shopping on that end of town on Friday. I will add that store as one of my stops. Yes, it is a smart phone. They will shut down the 3G network in Feb. 2022.

26 minutes ago, quietspirit said:

Β 

Β Thank you for this advice. I plan to do some shopping on that end of town on Friday. I will add that store as one of my stops. Yes, it is a smart phone. They will shut down the 3G network in Feb. 2022.

Great! I guess I don't know if my suggestion will work with a smart phone, but they should at least be able to help. My free phone is a 4G and not a smart phone...at least...I don't know what the definition of 'smart phone' is, so...

Β 

I hope you get it figured out!

• Thanks 1

On 9/22/2021 at 2:12 PM, Emily Waldorf said:

My free phone is a 4G and not a smart phone...at least...I don't know what the definition of 'smart phone' is, so..

LOL, I have said "smart phone"...minus talk, text, and data (use an app to communicate lol). I guess it has more functions than a flip phone or a telephone would have: downloading apps, Siri (I'd stay away from her either way; praise God for Androids without a voice...thing), better camera quality (particularly the iPhone 11, based on commercials I've seen and pics I've had taken from a friend's phone), yadda yadda yoo..

Β 

Thing is, I'd avoid current smart phones, considering what's going on now. I've been told to avoid smart phones totally. Honestly, if I didn't have so many friends and I didn't babysit/have to call my mom if I'm at a friend's or somewhere else, I could probably go without the phone.

• Like 1

Sorry. That did sound as if I was rather cut off from the world.Β πŸ€ͺ As Kathleen Kelly (Meg Ryan) typed in an email to NY152/Joe Fox (Tom Hanks) in You've Got Mail..."I lead a small life - well, valuable, but small." That's what happens when illness (and other life situations) shrink one's life. πŸ˜‰πŸ˜

• Like 3

On 9/26/2021 at 4:05 PM, Ky_GirlatHeart said:

it's best to not give out so much info about yourself or be in too much contact with people over the Internet unless you know them...or over the phone...

Β 

Did that make ANY sense?? πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Β 

Yes that makes a whole lot of sense. I had a call come through on my new cell phone, it was a local number, no name, It made me suspicious. I texted back that I didn't recognize the number.Β  It was a friend of mine who lives a few blocks away. When I manually put in her name and number, I forgot to include the area code. Therefore her name did not appear.Β  She told me who she was an we texted and then we talked. But I don't answer any numbers on our land line that I don't know or recognize. It is a safety precaution we have.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2021 at 2:44 PM, Ky_GirlatHeart said:

Honestly, if I didn't have so many friends and I didn't babysit/have to call my mom if I'm at a friend's or somewhere else, I could probably go without the phone.

As someone who gave up on cellphones after having one for over a decade, (and sold "car phones," the first version of the cell phone), you really don't need one. You can call your mom from your friend's house, and have people contact you through your central home number. (We still have a landline, but I think most people still have one phone number for the "what's your phone number" question.) And, this may be hard to believe, but the number one way to contact our friends growing up was to walk or bike to their house. And, yes, sometimes their house was across town. And, yes, sometimes they couldn't spend time with us. (I hated that one hill, but only on the ride home.Β πŸ˜†)

Β 

My car broke down during snow-squall in rush-hour traffic. Ten people offered to call the cops for me. One couple let me call hubby to tell him why I was running late. (And the cops were there to help in five minutes.)

Β 

Hubby was in the ICU and I still didn't take a phone to my bedroom, once more have my cellphone on. If the news came, I wanted to be alone, wide awake, and sitting up. (News came several times, but not the one I feared, and not once could they not get ahold of me.)

Β 

Hubby was in the hospital for several months, including all the winter ones. Sometimes snowstorms stopped me from driving, but I could call a cab at home or in the lobby of the hospital.

Β 

Every single reason people say "you need a cellphone" has happened to me, and out of all those years, the two things the cellphone did for me, is let me call hubby to tell him I was just coming home now, and to tell time when I needed a new battery for my watch.

Β 

I do think some people need cellphones, but not as many as people think. 😊

• Like 1

On 9/22/2021 at 9:47 AM, Emily Waldorf said:

Take the phone back to the AT&T store, plunk it on the counter and tell them that you got a free phone from them, but the SIM card doesn't fit. Tell them you'd like to keep all your contacts etc. that are on your old SIM card.Β  They replaced my SIM card without a charge, and I didn't have to get any kit.

Β 

Yes, this. They can help you.

On 9/28/2021 at 8:29 PM, quietspirit said:

Yes that makes a whole lot of sense. I had a call come through on my new cell phone, it was a local number, no name, It made me suspicious. I texted back that I didn't recognize the number.Β  It was a friend of mine who lives a few blocks away. When I manually put in her name and number, I forgot to include the area code. Therefore her name did not appear.Β  She told me who she was an we texted and then we talked. But I don't answer any numbers on our land line that I don't know or recognize. It is a safety precaution we have.

That's a good safety precaution! I've had a few random numbers dial me in the pass (that I didn't notice call me until much later because I don't check my phone until late afternoon or night), but I don't call them unless they leave me a voicemail so I know who they are. Or text. πŸ˜†

Β 

On 9/29/2021 at 10:58 AM, Spaulding said:

As someone who gave up on cellphones after having one for over a decade, (and sold "car phones," the first version of the cell phone), you really don't need one. You can call your mom from your friend's house, and have people contact you through your central home number. (We still have a landline, but I think most people still have one phone number for the "what's your phone number" question.) And, this may be hard to believe, but the number one way to contact our friends growing up was to walk or bike to their house. And, yes, sometimes their house was across town. And, yes, sometimes they couldn't spend time with us. (I hated that one hill, but only on the ride home.Β πŸ˜†)

Β 

My car broke down during snow-squall in rush-hour traffic. Ten people offered to call the cops for me. One couple let me call hubby to tell him why I was running late. (And the cops were there to help in five minutes.)

Β 

Hubby was in the ICU and I still didn't take a phone to my bedroom, once more have my cellphone on. If the news came, I wanted to be alone, wide awake, and sitting up. (News came several times, but not the one I feared, and not once could they not get ahold of me.)

Β 

Hubby was in the hospital for several months, including all the winter ones. Sometimes snowstorms stopped me from driving, but I could call a cab at home or in the lobby of the hospital.

Β 

Every single reason people say "you need a cellphone" has happened to me, and out of all those years, the two things the cellphone did for me, is let me call hubby to tell him I was just coming home now, and to tell time when I needed a new battery for my watch.

Β 

I do think some people need cellphones, but not as many as people think.Β 

That's a good view on cellphones! When I was ten, I used to have a bunch of neighborhood friends, and we'd all go outside and play in the evening. (Granted, two of them had phones, but we didn't use them too much other than musically [now Tik Tok]...Idk..) Now that two of them have moved to wherever they're at now and one of them is about three to five minutes away (if driving), I don't really have the ability to go over to their houses by myself. πŸ˜† All of my friends are either in another city or another state... πŸ˜†

Β 

I was offered the opportunity to switch over to a flip phone, but I never made a decision. πŸ˜† Probably should.

On 9/25/2021 at 8:49 PM, lynnmosher said:

And I have no need for a phone at all! Except for our landline! I don't go anywhere and no one to call or call me except those dumb scammers! LOL πŸ˜„

I still don't want to get another cellphone, but I did discover there is something we can't do because we don't have a phone -- get tickets from Ticket Master. (Tomorrow we find out if we can call for tickets, but it looks like we won't be seeing Bob Dylan. I'm not so bummed after hearing half of his new "hit." It's 15 minutes of Dylan doing what Dylan does best -- create clever lines that make no sense, but are still depressing. 😊)

Β 

Just a warning, if you ever want to go to an event through Ticket Master. (And, meh. We still don't need a cell phone.)