What is a book disclaimer and do you need one?

lynnmosher

Yes, a very important thing to have.

Every reader is familiar with the typical fiction disclaimer.

This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, business, events and incidents are the products of the author’s imagination. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental.

I find nothing wrong with this disclaimer, except that it won’t work in many instances. What if your novel includes real events, places, and historical figures? What if parts of your book are based on your own life?

That's interesting. I've used real places, and made reference to real events in my published writing. So I've always used the following disclaimer, which is slightly different, but I think it's enough to cover the concern:

This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, businesses, places, events and incidents are either the products of the author’s imagination or used in a fictitious manner. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental.

• Like 2