Several Calls on My Book

Accord64

Is anyone else seeing a dramatic uptick in phone calls from phony publishers and/or book conference peddlers? I'd get one once in a while, but this week I've had 3-4. They leave long rambling messages that you can barely understand, mainly because the background noise from the busy call center is drowning them out. Never seen it this intense before - and they are all calling for the same book. Not sure why they are singling that one out. Weird. Maybe it's time to find an agent? 🤑

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, carolinamtne said:

Or get a phone that screens your calls. Our land line does, but I don't know if cell phones do.

These calls got by Nomorobo (which screens out most of these calls), and for those that get by, we don't answer if we don't know the number. They just go to voice mail. One of the book calls showed on caller ID as "800-service", which was immediately screened out by Nomorobo, But the phone rang again a few second later with a caller ID of "Nomorobo" which wasn't screened out and went to voice mail. Sneaky! It's also baffling that a book scam would have access to such an elaborate system that defeats (for now) Nomorobo.  

8 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

If they're calling on this book, how do they know about it? Where have you posted it?

It's been on sale through major retailers since 2015. I have four other published books that they ignore. It must be in a specific category, or I'm using key words they are focusing on. Funny, I always get calls on the same book year after year.

Call scammers get their information online and use online services to get around telephone services. All that is needed is for your name and phone number to show up once. 

Go for it. Egoogle your name and phone number. How many times did you see it?

And one obvious place to get it is when we buy/rent a website/blog for our author platform. Look is up in Whois. If you bought the domain, your number and address is public.

(Scary, huh?)

On 9/19/2021 at 7:44 AM, Spaulding said:

And one obvious place to get it is when we buy/rent a website/blog for our author platform. Look is up in Whois. If you bought the domain, your number and address is public.

(This is why I use my Google Voice number for those services. It acts as a buffer for such tomfoolery.)