Do you like either of these?

I am working on brainstorming a Beauty and the Beast re-telling, with role reversals, where the character of the Beast is a woman (her name is Judith), and the character of Beauty is a man. These names both mean beautiful or handsome. Which do you like better?

Adonis [A-dah'-nis]

Amare [A-mah'-ray]

I agree that the word Adonis is somewhat clichéd. In fact, it's common for a very attractive and fit man to be called an Adonis, in the same way that a smart person might be called an Einstein or a Sherlock. (Adonis is a character out of Greek mythology.) FYI though, I'm pretty sure that Amare is the Latin infinitive, to love. (My High School Latin is very rusty, fer sure...) Still, it's a distinctive name, and I don't remember seeing it used as a name before.

7 minutes ago, Wes B said:

I agree that the word Adonis is somewhat clichéd. In fact, it's common for a very attractive and fit man to be called an Adonis, in the same way that a smart person might be called an Einstein or a Sherlock. (Adonis is a character out of Greek mythology.) FYI though, I'm pretty sure that Amare is the Latin infinitive, to love. (My High School Latin is very rusty, fer sure...) Still, it's a distinctive name, and I don't remember seeing it used as a name before.

Thank you! All I knew about Adonis is that it looked/sounded nice and was greek for handsome/beautiful. Apparently, Amare is the Italian word for love; it is also a gender-neutral Indian name, meaning immortal. The source I found for it said it was an African or Ethiopian name meaning handsome, and pronounced "AM-ar-eh"...however that is said.

I think I like it less now...

7 minutes ago, Emily Waldorf said:

Apparently, Amare is the Italian word for love;

Well now, I'm pretty sure the Italian would be amore. (Lotsa songs use the word: When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's amore... We may not hear that sung much anymore, though...)

I've gotta say, Amare is far more unusual. Granted, the Italian language is largely what Rome's descendants did to simplify Latin over the centuries, but Amare sounds just different enough from amore that it will just have a hint of similarity to most people.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Wes B said:

Well now, I'm pretty sure the Italian would be amore. (Lotsa songs use the word: When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's amore... We may not hear that sung much anymore, though...)

That's what I think too. Google told me otherwise, so it's either a variant, or google is an idiot...both of which could be highly possible.

And yes, I've heard that song. XD

Thanks, again!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Grey_Skies said:

I love that old tune!  It's one of my mom's favorites!

Could be that this is just a "guy joke," but I once knew an aquarium enthusiast who sang a variation of the song: If a black spotted eel is caught biting your heel, it's a Moray...

• Haha 1

I like to use the online baby name sites for finding names. They usually give a pretty good definition, but I feel like my characters almost pick their own names, if that makes sense. 

Also, Judith is a great name. Big fan. (It's my name 😬)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jayjay said:

I like to use the online baby name sites for finding names. They usually give a pretty good definition, but I feel like my characters almost pick their own names, if that makes sense. 

Also, Judith is a great name. Big fan. (It's my name 😬)

Wonderful! It's a very pretty name, Judith! Maybe (if I ever write it), I will let you read some of the story with Judith in it, and you can tell me if I do your name justice. 🙂

• Like 2

I don’t love either...I mean, if the guy actually is Ethiopian, then the name Amare would work, but otherwise, the unusual name just “sticks out” too much. 

Maybe a more common name that means the same thing? Alan means good-looking, and so does Aiden. Beau could work if he’s got (US) Southern roots, and Jamal is a popular name both in the Arabic-speaking and Black communities.

I do like the idea of having the name carry meaning, (like Belle’s does) it’s just the far-out, unusual names I’m not a fan off. 

Ok, enough rambling...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Zee said:

Beau could work if he’s got (US) Southern roots

Beau is actually French, which really ties into the original French story (so it would be an easy and perfect flip since it really is the masculine equivalent to Belle. But if course, if you don't like that name, don't feel pressured to use it).

Personally I'd vote for Beau if you are interested in that option, otherwise I kind of like Sterling.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2021 at 2:43 PM, Wes B said:

If a black spotted eel is caught biting your heel, it's a Moray...

If it opens it's maw by unhinging its jaw, that's a moray!

They call them dad jokes. But I get a lot of them from my nephew's wife.

Edited by EClayRowe
  • Haha 1