I need some help...

Hello to anyone who is reading this.

I’m moving into the process of publishing and I really just need advice from people who are experienced. My family has connections to a publishing company called KingdomWinds. They offered to read over one of my finished novels for free and give me professional feedback, and they said if they liked it, they’d talk to me about publishing with them. Well, they liked it a lot, and went straight to offering me a deal, even giving me a 10% discount because they know us. This should all be exciting, but it isn’t sitting right with me. I’ve always wanted to self-publish, but I seriously have absolutely no idea how or where to start which is crazy overwhelming. My family is pushing towards traditionally publishing, but so many people have told me that they regretted that decision. And on top of all that, I have no idea how to market my book. 

if you have any pointers or advice, let me know. And if you’re someone who has published before and would be willing to walk me through it oh my word I’d be grateful beyond measures. Especially if you know how to self-publish. But yeah, anything helps. 

Thank you for taking your time to read this!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Asia Johnson said:

Well, they liked it a lot, and went straight to offering me a deal, even giving me a 10% discount because they know us.

I'd be curious about just what it is that their service provides, and what they expect you to pay. It doesn't cost anything to self-publish at Amazon, but that's not to say self-published authors don't end up spending money. I'd do your homework and don't rush into anything.

https://prowritingaid.com/art/1312/the-true-cost-to-self-publish.aspx

• Like 1

So, I looked up KingdomWinds.  Here is a snippet from their website:

All things contemplated, we tend to consider ourselves to be a Hybrid Indie Publisher that uses a partnership approach. We do not take on every manuscript that we see, but when we do, each book becomes a joint venture. We believe that this translates into a very unique and compelling value proposition for our authors.

Kingdom Winds takes a partnership approach to everything we do. As it relates to book publishing, this starts with the fact that we share the investment risk of each book we publish. This means that we are selective with manuscripts and do charge for our work associated with creating and publishing books. However, we do not aim to make a profit with our publishing services like our competitors, but instead look to share in the success of the book.

First, if you aim isn't to make a profit, you're doing it wrong.  Second, they consider themselves a "hybrid publisher," which means they provide services that aid in the publishing of your book.  So, you're essentially paying them to self-publish.  That is the long and the short of it.

You should ask A LOT of questions of these people before you hand over your manuscript. 

1) How many books do they sell a year through their website? 

2) What is their annual revenue? 

3) How is it that you are to get better pricing for publishing than, say, through Amazon?

4) How many copies of your book do they anticipate will sell?

5) What - exactly - do they do for the price you pay?

6) Are you limited to their website only, or can you publish in other outlets?

KingdomWinds has only been around since 2019.  I find it hard to believe that they can provide a lower cost to self-publish than through places like Amazon or Ingram Spark.

And, I'd make sure whatever they have you sign does not sign-over the rights of your work to them.

KingdomWinds is located in Greenville, South Carolina.  I know the Greenville area.  I have no reason to think that this is a scam, but I am extremely wary of just how new they are, and how vague the description of their services are. 

In my opinion, they had best provide a VERY compelling reason to publish through them.  Because I'm not seeing where you're getting a value for your money here.

Trust me, I completely understand how daunting self-publishing seems.  But don't run after someone who tells you that they'll do it cheaper and make is easier for you.  If that were the case, EVERYONE would be doing that.  There's always a hitch.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, HK1 said:

I self-published through Draft2Digital if you'd like to know about that.

I might take you up on that! I really want to explore self-publishing as an option some more ... Would you be comfortable if we exchanged emails? We could do it on the club. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, carolinamtne said:

a 10% discount? They are charging you a fee? As Lynn mentioned, traditional publishers pay you, not the other way around. 

Yeah, they're asking for 3,000. This is why I asked you guys XD I did not know that traditional publishing was free! I just researched is and now I feel really dumb 😅

2 hours ago, Johne said:

I'd be curious about just what it is that their service provides, and what they expect you to pay. It doesn't cost anything to self-publish at Amazon, but that's not to say self-published authors don't end up spending money. I'd do your homework and don't rush into anything.

https://prowritingaid.com/art/1312/the-true-cost-to-self-publish.aspx

Yeah of course. I don't intend to do anything until I find a route that sits right with me. 

They are asking for 3,000, but they're offering to do everything. All the editing, laying it out, the cover design, all of it. And they'd be printing the first twenty-five books. 

The price makes sense. They did break it down for me, but it still doesn't sit right. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Potts said:

So, I looked up KingdomWinds.  Here is a snippet from their website:

All things contemplated, we tend to consider ourselves to be a Hybrid Indie Publisher that uses a partnership approach. We do not take on every manuscript that we see, but when we do, each book becomes a joint venture. We believe that this translates into a very unique and compelling value proposition for our authors.

Kingdom Winds takes a partnership approach to everything we do. As it relates to book publishing, this starts with the fact that we share the investment risk of each book we publish. This means that we are selective with manuscripts and do charge for our work associated with creating and publishing books. However, we do not aim to make a profit with our publishing services like our competitors, but instead look to share in the success of the book.

First, if you aim isn't to make a profit, you're doing it wrong.  Second, they consider themselves a "hybrid publisher," which means they provide services that aid in the publishing of your book.  So, you're essentially paying them to self-publish.  That is the long and the short of it.

You should ask A LOT of questions of these people before you hand over your manuscript. 

1) How many books do they sell a year through their website? 

2) What is their annual revenue? 

3) How is it that you are to get better pricing for publishing than, say, through Amazon?

4) How many copies of your book do they anticipate will sell?

5) What - exactly - do they do for the price you pay?

6) Are you limited to their website only, or can you publish in other outlets?

KingdomWinds has only been around since 2019.  I find it hard to believe that they can provide a lower cost to self-publish than through places like Amazon or Ingram Spark.

And, I'd make sure whatever they have you sign does not sign-over the rights of your work to them.

KingdomWinds is located in Greenville, South Carolina.  I know the Greenville area.  I have no reason to think that this is a scam, but I am extremely wary of just how new they are, and how vague the description of their services are. 

In my opinion, they had best provide a VERY compelling reason to publish through them.  Because I'm not seeing where you're getting a value for your money here.

Trust me, I completely understand how daunting self-publishing seems.  But don't run after someone who tells you that they'll do it cheaper and make is easier for you.  If that were the case, EVERYONE would be doing that.  There's always a hitch.

Thank you thank you thank you. I don't think I'll go further with them, but if I do, I'll definitely ask these questions. I was really only considering it because my parents were pushing for it and they're usually right. But I just told them the sinking feeling I got when they handed me the paperwork and how it doesn't feel right, and now they're like, "Oh. In that case you should stick to your gut." 

I'll keep them in mind, but yeah, I don't think I'll go further with the proposal. 

I really really appreciate you looking into this for me. That definitely makes me think they aren't the right option.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Asia Johnson said:

I did not know that traditional publishing was free! I just researched is and now I feel really dumb 

Never a dumb question on this site, Asia! Just uninformed. And that's why this site exists. I didn't find anything other than what Jeff posted. My opinion, if it's worth anything? Say no!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

Never a dumb question on this site, Asia! Just uninformed. And that's why this site exists. I didn't find anything other than what Jeff posted. My opinion, if it's worth anything? Say no!

Thank youuu. This is why I’m so thankful for this site. I’m definitely leaning towards no now as well. 

11 hours ago, Asia Johnson said:

Yeah, they're asking for 3,000. This is why I asked you guys XD I did not know that traditional publishing was free! I just researched is and now I feel really dumb 😅

Go into the Plugs and Promos section of this site.  I have a blog entry on my site on how much it will cost to publish a book.

If I recall, $3,000.00 is kinda high.

• Thanks 1

For what it is worth, (which means "among all these experienced writers with completely different needs and experiences") Siretona Creative is a Hybrid publisher. They are publishing my book Leoshine, Princess Oracle. I went with them because I don't know what I don't know and I appreciate guidance. Collaboration among their authors is probably the most beneficial aspect of their service, though I have a gorgeous cover and very detailed editing because I'm with them. 

The best thing any of us can do is follow our "gut". The Holy Spirit speaks to individual situations. Congratulations on writing an amazing book. God probably put those people in your path to encourage you. You have confirmation and now you can fly free!

Oh, and we are really glad you came here and hope you stick around!

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Asia Johnson said:

I might take you up on that! I really want to explore self-publishing as an option some more ... Would you be comfortable if we exchanged emails? We could do it on the club. 

Sure, we can do that! Heading over to the club 🙂

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Nicola said:

For what it is worth, (which means "among all these experienced writers with completely different needs and experiences") Siretona Creative is a Hybrid publisher. They are publishing my book Leoshine, Princess Oracle. I went with them because I don't know what I don't know and I appreciate guidance. Collaboration among their authors is probably the most beneficial aspect of their service, though I have a gorgeous cover and very detailed editing because I'm with them. 

The best thing any of us can do is follow our "gut". The Holy Spirit speaks to individual situations. Congratulations on writing an amazing book. God probably put those people in your path to encourage you. You have confirmation and now you can fly free!

Oh, and we are really glad you came here and hope you stick around!

Oh really? Did you get much saw in things like your book cover? I’m tempted to just give it to them and let them figure it out because it’s all really overwhelming for me. Ahhhh this shouldn’t be so hard! 

thank you! I definitely agree, I’m just having a difficult time choosing a path that feels right. 
And I will definitely stick around as well:) Made too many friends to leave. 

• Like 1

Asia, just remember, that no matter who you sign up with, traditional or vanity or hybrid, you will be the one doing the bulk of the marketing, if not all of it. So you need to learn how to market. And yes, it is hard. There's so much more to producing a book than the words you've written. It's a big learning curve but it needs to be done. If you don't know how things work and you hand your book over to someone else and they are negligent, dishonest, or whatever, you may not even know it. And you end up losing out on many sides. Many, or dare I say most, vanity publishers prey on those who know little or nothing about the necessary elements of publishing. Something to think about.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

Asia, just remember, that no matter who you sign up with, traditional or vanity or hybrid, you will be the one doing the bulk of the marketing, if not all of it. So you need to learn how to market. And yes, it is hard. There's so much more to producing a book than the words you've written. It's a big learning curve but it needs to be done. If you don't know how things work and you hand your book over to someone else and they are negligent, dishonest, or whatever, you may not even know it. And you end up losing out on many sides. Many, or dare I say most, vanity publishers prey on those who know little or nothing about the necessary elements of publishing. Something to think about.

Okay, thank you. Y’all’s advice is helping a lot. 

• Like 1

You've received some really stellar advice here, @Asia Johnson. And I know that moving forward, you'll receive some first-rate support from this group too.

My advice to you is research. Research the different avenues of publishing and what is involved on your side. Like @lynnmosher said, no matter which route you take, in today's publishing world the bulk of marketing will land on you. The traditional route just means that you are less involved in the actual publication process (which would include finding a cover designer, hiring editors [you would still be required to work with the editors, by the way], seeing to the interior design and typesetting, and then handling the distribution of the books).

Here a couple links to a list of articles from a website that really helped me when I was researching the various avenues of publishing:

https://nathanbransford.com/literary-agents-book-publishing

https://nathanbransford.com/self-publishing.

If you do decide to go the self-publishing route, then there are two individuals that I would highly recommend you hire (in other words, there are two tasks I would recommend you do NOT do yourself): cover designer and copyeditor (or a proofreader, at the least). A professionally designed cover can do a lot to help your book sell. I'm not saying that you can't learn how to create a good cover—just that in this case getting someone who's already learned what works and what doesn't and who's practiced on a few dozen other covers will really do a lot for your book. And at the least, you'll need someone else to proofread your work. It's amazing how many mistakes you miss in your own writing. But if you'd like a more intensive check of your sentences and prose, then a copyedit is something that I would recommend.

A lot of authors I know have chosen to go the self-publishing route because then they have the final say on things like cover design. Also, it can take a long time to go the traditional route, as publishers generally have the next year or two's books already lined up (yours would join the back of the queue and only come out in a few years, as opposed to setting the publication date for whenever you feel the book is ready). Also, a lot of authors decide that since they'll be responsible for a lot of the marketing anyway, they may as well go the self-publishing route. The advantage of the traditional route is that you're working with people who have done this a hundred times and know the drill. But there are a lot of people who have worked out self-publishing and they are more than happy to share their knowledge.

Again, my two-cents' worth of advice is research. As you start, you will come across more things you haven't thought of or have no idea what they are. Note those questions down or ask them here, and then research them as well. And just be encouraged that any skill can be learned.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Claire Tucker said:

You've received some really stellar advice here, @Asia Johnson. And I know that moving forward, you'll receive some first-rate support from this group too.

My advice to you is research. Research the different avenues of publishing and what is involved on your side. Like @lynnmosher said, no matter which route you take, in today's publishing world the bulk of marketing will land on you. The traditional route just means that you are less involved in the actual publication process (which would include finding a cover designer, hiring editors [you would still be required to work with the editors, by the way], seeing to the interior design and typesetting, and then handling the distribution of the books).

Here a couple links to a list of articles from a website that really helped me when I was researching the various avenues of publishing:

https://nathanbransford.com/literary-agents-book-publishing

https://nathanbransford.com/self-publishing.

If you do decide to go the self-publishing route, then there are two individuals that I would highly recommend you hire (in other words, there are two tasks I would recommend you do NOT do yourself): cover designer and copyeditor (or a proofreader, at the least). A professionally designed cover can do a lot to help your book sell. I'm not saying that you can't learn how to create a good cover—just that in this case getting someone who's already learned what works and what doesn't and who's practiced on a few dozen other covers will really do a lot for your book. And at the least, you'll need someone else to proofread your work. It's amazing how many mistakes you miss in your own writing. But if you'd like a more intensive check of your sentences and prose, then a copyedit is something that I would recommend.

A lot of authors I know have chosen to go the self-publishing route because then they have the final say on things like cover design. Also, it can take a long time to go the traditional route, as publishers generally have the next year or two's books already lined up (yours would join the back of the queue and only come out in a few years, as opposed to setting the publication date for whenever you feel the book is ready). Also, a lot of authors decide that since they'll be responsible for a lot of the marketing anyway, they may as well go the self-publishing route. The advantage of the traditional route is that you're working with people who have done this a hundred times and know the drill. But there are a lot of people who have worked out self-publishing and they are more than happy to share their knowledge.

Again, my two-cents' worth of advice is research. As you start, you will come across more things you haven't thought of or have no idea what they are. Note those questions down or ask them here, and then research them as well. And just be encouraged that any skill can be learned.

Wow wow wow. How is one community so helpful and supportive??? 

Thank you so much! I have been researching like crazy, it’s just a matter of what to research. I know I need an editor and a professional book designer to compete with the traditionally published books, and I think I’ve found some with flat rates. I’d also like to hire someone to lay the book out on the pages. I don’t think I should do that myself. And I’m currently taking names for my future launch team. Which is hard cause idk how to ask people. XD

i think what I’m going to do is email KingdomWinds all my questions about their services and stuff, and then go off their response. I can tell my parents aren’t rly up for me self publishing so we’ll just have to see and all. 

Thank you so muchhhhhh!!!

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Asia Johnson said:

Wow wow wow. How is one community so helpful and supportive??? 

We love because He first loved us. 😉 

But, yeah, this is a great community and resource for Christian writers. 🙂

• Like 5