Prayer request for purpose

I again ask for prayers please.

At various points in my life after college that's ten years ago now, I have had this feeling of being restless, lacking in a purpose that I know God has in place for me. I have yet to discover what it is.  Sometimes it subsides, but it just keeps coming back. I pray, but I am still waiting for God to reveal His plan for my life. I don't feel like I have done anything significant and I want to! I have hopes, and maybe God wants some of those to become reality. He did bless me with Vailant. The problem is I am so cautious that I almost never step out of my comfort zone, and that's not good. I have always been cautious, even as a baby my mom has told me. 

In college I broke my habit and studied in Ireland for a month. I spent four months convincing my mom to let me go. I had always dreamed about going and I still want to go back with all my heart and to see the other places steeped in Celtic history, like Scotland or Cornwall. My eyesight was significantly better then, for the most part being in Ireland was amazing experience, and I found it so peaceful. I wanted to get a Master's in Celtic Studies even before then, but my parents thought that was ludicrous because of the job market. They were probably right, but my heart is never far from there. I am a complete idealist, not practical at all haha, which I don't think helps. After I got my B.A in English, I never went back to study more, though I think about it often. I've looked at programs to study in Europe, and even here in the U.S, but don't know what will come of it. I have looked at some type of missionary work over there. There was a border walk between Northern Ireland and The Republic of Ireland for reconciliation between the two nations. I was so excited, I can follow people and walk from church to church! I talked with the organization, the lady who spoke with me was very nice, but she said I couldn't go. They were worried about me not being able to see cars on the road, and I knew of no other Christians that could come with me. I would like to do something of that nature very much!

There have been jobs that I have gotten excited about over the years, but nothing has come of yet. I've just been going through each day, and feeling more and more restless. Though I have my Seeing Eye Dog now, my aunt said it would settle me, but it really hasn't. Some of you know this, but I'm now living in an low-income apartment, that is brand new, relatively safe, and generally everyone is friendly to me. Living here can be disruptive to my state of mind; there are sometimes not so good things going on. Only once did something happen that was quite bad. I've been here over three months and still feel isolated. i kept thinking God had a reason for placing me here, but can't see it. I am not further away from anything except church. I used to be only a twenty minute walk.  I haven't seen my family all summer because I don't want to get vaccinated for Covid (though everyone else is).  I'm pretty careful, but everyone is too fearful. I am one of the few that are saved in my family. Most of my extended family live outside of NY State, where in the summer they all come and stay at my grandpa's camp, or at the camp on my grandmother's side. I've stood firm, 

I'm praying, but I don't know how much longer this state will last. What does he want me to do? How much longer God will have me wait? Please help me pray for wsdom and guidance. I just want to break away! 

Thank you for reading this, it was longer than I intended. But I need this community right now. 

• Like 3

Well, sweetie, you are surely in the waiting line. Your sweet heart is so desirous to find God's will that I'm sure He is not keeping it from you but waiting for the right time. Waiting to put all in place to bring you the best. He knows your heart. Instead of asking what that purpose is, I would start praising Him for what He working out and will bring into your life. Relax and rest in His comfort. Maybe your ministry is right where you are for now. As you wait. Praying for the Lord to make it clear to you what He desires for your life. Blessings of all you need, dear one. ❤️

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Praying.  As you continue to spend more time in his presence he will reveal his will to you.  The more time you spend with him the more you are equipping yourself for what he wants you to do.  See the waiting time as preparation time for what God has plan ahead for you.

You are obviously out of your comfort zone.  That is the start of God preparing you for whatever he has in stock for you.

I pray that God will open your eyes and mind to see his guiding hand and the plan he has for you.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, lynnmosher said:

Instead of asking what that purpose is, I would start praising Him for what He working out and will bring into your life. Relax and rest in His comfort. Maybe your ministry is right where you are for now. As you wait. Praying for the Lord to make it clear to you what He desires for your life.

I am truly grateful for your wise counsel and prayers. Lynn. 💛😊

Edited by Brittany Elizabeth

5 hours ago, Focus said:

You are obviously out of your comfort zone.  That is the start of God preparing you for whatever he has in stock for you.

You are absolutely right, Focus, I am. The very place I am living is pushing at my boundaries of comfort sometimes. Thank you for revealing this to me. And thank you for your prayers

• Like 1

While you are praying for a purpose, what are you doing with your life right now? How are you serving God where you are doing what you do? Perhaps this is a time of preparation, so that you will be able to do whatever God wants later on. Don't waste these days. Reach out to those around you. Find their needs. Do what you can to help them. You may find that your purpose is to serve where you already are. We don't have to do great things to bring about the kingdom. Little things matter too. 

3 hours ago, carolinamtne said:

How are you serving God where you are doing what you do?

What you say is true as well, Carolina :). And I was definitely lax over the summer... I assist in our children's ministry at church, during the school year. A couple of other short term ministries at my church. I am much closer to our city's community center now and so can walk, and I did reach out to them recently!  It did take me a little time to oriented in my new location :).

I'm also going to try going to another church, much closer to where i currently live on the weeks i don't have children's ministry :). Easier to get to, especially in winter (it's about a 45 minute walk to get to church now, before it was less than 20.). Some of my friends are familiar with the young adults in that church, and I'm sure I can get involved there. Anywhere, I can walk is a very good thing, not that friends amd members of my church won't happily pick me up or drop me off if they are available but sometimes they are not. I hate to be dependent when I can travel with my dog or before that on my own.

I hear in you the qualities of a gentle and quiet spirit which our LORD loves. It sounds like you have hope/s, which suggests you are experiencing the "not yet" of hope. Hope works in us; it turns listlessness into expectation and expectation into anticipation. (I'm reminding myself of this at this very moment too😄.) Conflict, necessary for a great change arc, seems to be pressing upon you. You're a work in progress. Who are you becoming in Christ?! This is why the scripture exhorts us to be steadfast. James says we consider those blessed who remained steadfast. You have heard of the steadfastness of Job, and you have seen the purpose of the LORD, how the LORD is compassionate and merciful. Share that purpose of His in whatever good works he has available for you to walk in right now.

Another version says, "you've seen that the end of all the LORD's ways are mercy and compassion." That's true of His purpose in your own Christlife too. Sure and your trials are not brother Job's, but nevertheless, they are valid practice in hoping and dying to self and being patient and steadfast and it all adds up to improving your view of God over a lifetime of steadfast hope. God has not yet finished the Christstory called Brittany Elizabeth. Look at Him in hope, sister.

(I wonder if you've ever considered writing a story with a lovable seeing-eye dog as its centerpiece? 🥰 What is it like to have a seeing eye dog?)

My husband broke his back once. Although he wasn't paralyzed he also wasn't able to go out and do, including work. He spent four months pressing into the Lord. The Lord gave us "what's next."

Hubby now has COPD, heart failure, and a number of other things wrong with him. We started wearing masks because even a cold was too-close to deadly for him. If you won't get vaccinated for yourself, how about getting one for people like him?

• Like 2

Brittany: Learn to thank God for the simplest things He gives you. Take the time to do this every day. You might want to keep a Praise and Thanksgiving journal, listing the praises. Ann Voskamp learned more about God by doing this. Her book, One Thousand Gifts speaks of this experience in her life. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ky_GirlatHeart said:

go with what Lynn says, as she is the wise woman of the group.

Absolutely! Ditto that!

17 hours ago, lynnmosher said:

LOL No...just older!

Ah, but with age comes wisdom.  That is why I look up to so many of those who are older.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Carolyn W said:

I wonder if you've ever considered writing a story with a lovable seeing-eye dog as its centerpiece? 🥰 What is it like to have a seeing eye dog?)

I do thank God so often for Valiant and how Valiant came to me before this move! He is a lovely laid back companion, a guide, and does give some sense of physical security (though I can't imagine him doing anything, and don't want to find out either). There is a lot of work while training and after.

I may do a fiction story in the future! I have an interesting picture while training with Valiant in a mall, which would make for a funny antecdote, It was winter and I was covered up almost entirely with a black mask on, and what are called occlusion glasses, to block out more of my vision so I could better train. I asked my instructor if she could take a photo, though didn't expect her to moments later. All you can see of me was my forehead and hands. My friend said, "You do look like a bad guy haha! Like some chill hipster daring anyone to approach." The effect wouldn't have been complete Valiant had been a yellow instead of a black llab 😂

• Like 2

I'll be praying for you, @Brittany Elizabeth!  Like Ky said, we all need to pour out our hearts sometimes.  And you won't find a better place than here.  

Praying that God gives you wisdom, guidance, comfort, and direction.  And may He bless you.

"For I know the thoughts that I think

toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end." (Jeremiah 29:11, KJV)

• Thanks 1

Just now, lynnmosher said:

You are a rare bird in this world, GS. Most youngers couldn't care less what olders think or know. 🤪

Why thank you.  And sadly, you're so right.  By not caring what their elders have to say, today's youth misses out on much wise counsel, as well as all the great (and sometimes funny) stories that older folks have to share!