Need some encouragement

jayjay

I just lost two days, two entire scenes worth of work and who knows how many edits and several pages worth of Bible verse quotations totalling 4k+ words and probably 6+ hours of work. The writing website I'm using so I don't have to download one gave me a free trial and didn't require a cc for it. They didn't send me a reminder when the trial was almost up, but once it was, it let me keep using the service for 2 days past the trial, then deleted those two days worth of work with no warning.

I realize, of course, that this was my fault for not setting a reminder or just signing up right away. I've known since nearly the beginning that I'd keep the service since the cost was worth being able to write on my extremely slow laptop. I'm just feeling really low today, since as you guys know from an earlier post, writing time is precious to me.

Anyway, I'm just going to mourn my two scenes for a while (one was an incredibly beautiful scene between my hero and his dad describing the process by which you show someone God's grace rather than just telling them about it), and then I'll pull myself up by my bootstraps again and get to work. I promise.

But this morning I'm really sad and discouraged. 

• Sad 3

3 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

aren't these scenes still in your heart and mind? Write it out!

This is good advice. Maybe the LORD wants you to make these pages better! It sometimes happens that we have our story going one way but God may decide it needs more depth.  Just my thoughts.

• Like 1

@lynnmosher I tried doing it last night right after it happened but I was exhausted and emotional, and it was basically garbage. I'm trying to caffeinate so I can function, and I'm going to try to redo the references page while the kids are up and noisy and try again tonight when it's calm in the house. 

• Like 1

Upgrading from one computer to another, and even remembering to save in two locations, I lost Chapter 6 once. Oh yeah. Mourning. I know the heartache.

Ended up rewriting Chapter 6 and 7, which was quite confusing, because I already had Chapter 7. (I was on Fourth Draft.)

Hubby felt guilty, since he was tasked with not losing any of My Stuff. So, while I was busy trying to figure out how the New 6 and New 7 worked within the rest of the script, he found Old Chapter. (We used an older computer as a stand for a TV. It was in there still.)

My plan was then to incorporate the new stuff into the old stuff. The reality was the new stuff was so much better, I tossed the old chapters. And that's the advantage of knowing, clearly, what you want in a scene. Much easier than figuring out the specifics as you're writing it. And, yeah, you have the important specifics in your brain, so you'll be okay.

As for kids? I was a teacher briefly, taking over a class where that teacher had absolutely no handle on discipline. Seven fights in that first hour. I taught the class, and I had to teach that class one hour a week throughout the school year. Finally figured out how to keep them quiet. Bribe. If they would be quiet and do nothing to each other, the classroom, or me, for one hour, they'd get a quarter. (It was in the 70s, when a quarter meant a candy bar.) The class had 40 kids. It cost me $2 for one pleasant hour of relative silence. (Just saying, since you still have four kids to deal with. 🤭)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

Hmmm...40 kids @ 25 cents each? $2? My math is a little different. 😉😄🙃

Actually, had I been strict, it should have been $.50. They were incapable of total quiet. But not like I told them they already failed before the end of class. And I did give a few quarters just because I could see them straining to do it, but failed. Trying counts for me. 😆

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, jayjay said:

I tried doing it last night right after it happened but I was exhausted and emotional, and it was basically garbage. I'm trying to caffeinate so I can function, and I'm going to try to redo the references page while the kids are up and noisy and try again tonight when it's calm in the house. 

Yeah, last night would not have been good. You'll get it all sorted out. Not to worry. Worry will block your creativity. Praying the Lord helps your fix it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Spaulding said:

Actually, had I been strict, it should have been $.50. They were incapable of total quiet. But not like I told them they already failed before the end of class. And I did give a few quarters just because I could see them straining to do it, but failed. Trying counts for me. 

Ahhh, some kids just feed off each other and the worst comes out! 🙄🙃

• Like 2

I hear ya--losing that time is so discouraging. So, a moment of silence, for the lost time and words...

My suggestion would be to rewrite it as best as you can, and don't stress about getting it just right. When you do get that time to sit and really focus on those scenes, they might be even better than the original.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sorry about your scenes, (virtual hug) 🤗

This has been happening to me the entire time I been writing my current project, deleted scenes, missing scenes.

Once your ready to face it again, to rewrite, or let God direct you. Like others say, it could be better than to start.

• Like 2

Awwww! I'm so sorry to hear that! 😞 Did you maybe email the copy to yourself or have an extra draft? If not, then...Give it some time; then, like you said, hop back on board.

But for now, I will give you a virtual hug and cupcakes. 🙂 And prayer.

image.thumb.png.42c7aa1623cea1d6c60082e2adde1594.png

image.thumb.png.810ed25b38edb0ac61968a5677dd33d8.png

image.thumb.png.4e060a26b68f05f5be34f0a33ed6d6ad.png

image.thumb.png.6e90bb5e57dd2f2caf85938028b36861.png

image.thumb.png.93eaab2fe32c6c4879e664211723defb.png

image.thumb.png.936390c8f9f87d9cbef95d3ed78643b0.png

image.thumb.png.ac184549320dfb5ff5588d3883eb4442.png

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, JosiAtara said:

I also realized that I didn't actually tag her, so @Ky_GirlatHeart  might not know that we are on to her plans to keep us from being fit and health

LOL, I didn't until now!!

On 8/3/2021 at 11:53 AM, JosiAtara said:

I'm starting to suspect Ky... I think she's trying to fatten us up for something...

Pfffft, me, fatten you?! Why, I'm only trying to give enjoyment! 😆

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1