In My Martial Arts Career, I've Avoided Fighting

But in my novels, as Suspense writer, I can sure craft a realistic fight scene.  But now, I'm thinking to craft a different type of character.  Someone who doesn't fight, but tries to solve conflicts with words.  Do you think that will make my stories less interesting?

• Like 1

At the risk of sounding like Captain Obvious, it all depends on how you write it.

yes1.gif.7bc2d767863ef1c9294ce0d4a88c7b2e.gif

How about having your main character highly skilled in martial arts, but always tries to talk his way out of tense situations. Part of his struggle is to resist using force when pressed, even though his mind has already figured out how to win the fight ten different ways. You can even show the reader how is mind has thought through the moves, counter moves, and so on, all to yield to well chosen words.

Just a thought (no pun intended).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shamrock said:

That reminds me of a 70s TV show with David Carridan in. Dad of Keith.  Just ku something. Not panda though. 

When you can snatch the pebble from my hand.. it will be time for you to leave...

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, suspensewriter said:

Do you think that will make my stories less interesting?

not one bit! I love wit and wisdom and creativity. The most rewarding scenes in television, movies, or books, is when a fight seems inevitable and through creativity and wit, it is avoided and the outcome is the least expected one. I think they make for the most powerful of stories. 

A real life example... kinda... my Uncle was a football player at Wichita State back in the day... QB... he is now a pastor, but back in high school (i think it was high school) there was a bully that was like the meanest kid in school. The one my Uncle thought was furthest away from being willing to even listen to someone talk about Jesus, no less turn his life over to him - but he felt called by God to witness to this bully. The bully became one of my Uncles best friends and even went on to be a school principal. 

some examples I could think of of how you could do this (through politics, intrigue, political maneuvering, economics, etc.) In one of the stories I wrote for my Bane of Disaster series (which has been put on hold for now), I had one of my main characters talk down a guy holding a place at gunpoint with nothing but words and a cool demeanor. Knowledge is key when non-violent action is desired... Another example could be when Jesus disarms the Pharisees and Sadducees when they came trying to trap him, or when they came for him at the Garden of Gethsemane. They came with swords, prepared for a fight, but they hesitated at Jesus' presence and words....

A character that uses words instead of violence does not have to be a coward.  In fact, I would easily think less of a character who used words to get out of using violence because he was a coward - since usually in that situation, it involves compromise of important items or values and/or unwarranted sacrifices. No. I think that it takes more strength not to use the strength you know you have to crush the competition than to take the higher and harder road of forging peace without violence. 

The most compelling stories of men/women who refused to use violence to solve potentially violent issues always came from those who were capable of successfully using violence but chose not to. 

Edited by Jared Williams
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Jared Williams said:

I think that it takes more strength not to use the strength you know you have to crush the competition than to take the higher and harder road of forging peace without violence. 

The most compelling stories of men/women who refused to use violence to solve potentially violent issues always came from those who were capable of successfully using violence but chose not to. 

Exactly! 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Accord64 said:

How about having your main character highly skilled in martial arts, but always tries to talk his way out of tense situations.

I think it could make a good story...anyway, in real life, a guy like this is likely to have a longer lifespan anyway.

• Thanks 1

This reminds me of a video I just watched about "verbal jiu jitsu" (Warning, bad words in the video): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4UEgtt4ZPM

I have a friend who had almost the same thing happen to him - did 5 years for manslaughter because a guy died after a bar fight. He got saved in jail and now has a martial arts ministry - and he gives talks about choices and knowing when to walk away.

• Thanks 1