I've Begun Reading the Entire Bible

I've decided to put an end to my boredom, by reading the entire Bible, from Genesis 1 to the last chapter of Revelation.  I've just finished the first three chapters of Genesis, in which everything in the World is explained, in ways that are very difficult to interpret.  I've decided that before I read further, I should take all the time I need, to prayerfully think through what I've read.  That's what I think I should do with every episode in Scripture.  This may result in my having a lot to write about.

Has anyone else here on christianwriters.com, done the same?         

• Like 3

Is this the first time you've read through the entire Bible, or the first time you've read it from cover to cover.

I have read it through. Is there something particular you are having difficulty interpreting about the first 3 chapters of Genesis?

I've read through the entire Bible many times. Each time I read any portion of the Bible, I pray and ask God to be with me, to write His Word on my heart, in my mind, and implant it in my soul. 

"Therefore, ridding yourselves of all filthiness and all that remains of wickedness, in humility receive the word implanted, which is able to save your souls." -- James 1:21

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Emily Waldorf said:

Is this the first time you've read through the entire Bible, or the first time you've read it from cover to cover.

I have read it cover to cover several times.  I'm very familiar with this passage, and many which I will be reading.  This time I'm taking the time to take a closer look, and see if there's something personally beneficial from the first three chapters, and the ones I will be reading, which may be of help to me now.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Emily Waldorf said:

I have read it through. Is there something particular you are having difficulty interpreting about the first 3 chapters of Genesis?

What I wonder is why the Lord was so harsh with Adam and Eve, when they didn't fully understand what they were doing?

2 hours ago, William D'Andrea said:

What I wonder is why the Lord was so harsh with Adam and Eve, when they didn't fully understand what they were doing?

Well, if you take away all of the serpent's beautiful words, the facts you are left with are these: God says "Do not eat." Satan says, "Eat." Man eats. They fully understood all that was necessary to understand: God said no. That should have been enough.

I try to read through every year, and usually am successful. I applaud the previous mention that it all be done prayerfully. After that, three breakthroughs that really sped me along were:

1. Break the daily readings into an Old Testament portion and a New Testament one. Until we get a solid familiarity with all of the Old Testament, it can sometimes be rough going in some spots, Without interspersing familiar readings with the unfamiliar. This reduces the chances of dropping behind and dropping out.
  2. Consider getting a chronological Bible, and reading chronologically. The difference when reading this way is dramatic. What you end up seeing is one continuous story, rather than multiple disconnected books that you otherwise have to stitch together in your memory, as you read them separately. I mean it. Reading through this way cuts any difficulties you may run across in half. (At Least!!!)
  3. Any remaining difficulties can be cut in half again by reading the scriptures alongside a good Bible handbook. That's very different from a commentary, which you might find useful as a third text. A Bible handbook will tell you, chapter-by-chapter and sometimes verse by verse, what you're reading about, including lots of relevant background information. This totally removes those moments where you might realize you're reading "stuff," but have no clue as to what they're talking about. That problem vanishes. I personally love Eerdmans' Handbook to the Bible, as it has short but excellent descriptions of every Bible passage, it's packed with maps, charts, and supplementary articles on various useful topics, and the pictures... the pictures are absolutely marvelous.

It's not harder to read a second book alongside the Bible; in fact it makes it all a whole lot less complicated.

Here's an interesting tangent... I've checked out a bunch of audio Bibles. They all give the recording time for each book. Adding these up, we can figure the number of hours it took them to record the entire Bible. If we divide this by 365 days per year, we get the amount of time it would take to go through the Bible each day, in order to complete it in a year. It comes to between 12 and 13 minutes per day.

Now, there are plenty of places where we'd like to go slower than normal speaking speed, and read extra carefully, but considering that the Bible handbook passages are fairly brief, it's quite possible to read the Bible in a year, and get a fairly good understanding of all of it, in a 30 minute per day commitment. If you can manage a little more each day for some extra careful reading in some places, that's a bonus. I found that after following this process a second time, I had a fairly solid picture in my mind of the full story in the Bible, and how each book "works" in constructing that story.

That said, it's still an amazing delight to regularly "discover" new insights, as I read through, yet again. God's Word is a truly amazing thing...

3 hours ago, William D'Andrea said:

"See then the kindness and severity of God: to those who fell, severity, but to you, God’s kindness, if you continue in His kindness; for otherwise you too will be cut off." -- Romans 11:22

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Tommie Lyn said:

"See then the kindness and severity of God: to those who fell, severity, but to you, God’s kindness, if you continue in His kindness; for otherwise you too will be cut off." -- Romans 11:22

As I said, this isn't my first reading cover to cover.  I have been a committed Christian for more than 50 years.  I have been a regular member of Bible studies for most of that time.  One thing I've come to see over all this time, is that even for those who are righteous, the Lord can be very difficult to deal with.

Edited by William D'Andrea

13 minutes ago, William D'Andrea said:

As I said, this isn't my first reading cover to cover.  I have been a committed Christian for more than 50 years.  I have been a regular member of Bible studies for most of that time.  One thing I've come to see over all this time, is that even for those who are righteous, the Lord can be very difficult to deal with.

The Lord is holy beyond our finite ability to understand, and that holiness cannot tolerate sin. But that can be a hard thing to accept sometimes, because we'd really like sin to be not so bad.

17 minutes ago, William D'Andrea said:

One thing I've come to see over all this time, is that even for those who are righteous, the Lord can be very difficult to deal with.

The thing is... we don't "deal with" the Lord. We obey Him. Or not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Tommie Lyn said:

The thing is... we don't "deal with" the Lord. We obey Him. Or not.

I agree.  That is for those who continue in sin.

I however am in constant prayer to the Lord, who I consider "my close, familiar friend".  That is what Job called him.  I can't remember the exact chapter and verse, which is one reason I'm reading through the Bible again.  If the Lord isn't as difficult for the righteous to deal with, as it is for the unrepentant, His Word certainly is.

I also like that we're having this really good discussion here.  Thank you Tommie Lyn.

Edited by William D'Andrea
  • Like 3

I'm really not sure how I want to handle all of this.  I've just finished reading the first nine chapters of Genesis.  After Adam and Eve, there's Cain and Abel, and all the following generations; containing all the things that happened during the "Pre-Deluvian" Age.  That's followed by Noah and the Deluge.  Those are just the first nine chapters!  

Those would be a tremendous amount of things for us to write about, and that's only the first nine chapters of the Bible.  The writings we'd do, could very quickly become massive.  I wouldn't know how to deal with it all.

Does anyone have any ideas how to handle this?

On 8/1/2021 at 1:35 PM, William D'Andrea said:

I'm really not sure how I want to handle all of this.  I've just finished reading the first nine chapters of Genesis.  After Adam and Eve, there's Cain and Abel, and all the following generations; containing all the things that happened during the "Pre-Deluvian" Age.  That's followed by Noah and the Deluge.  Those are just the first nine chapters!  

Those would be a tremendous amount of things for us to write about, and that's only the first nine chapters of the Bible.  The writings we'd do, could very quickly become massive.  I wouldn't know how to deal with it all.

Does anyone have any ideas how to handle this?

I'm a little unclear as to what it is you're asking. Are you planning to write something (like a biblical fiction or a devotional) based on the first 9 chapters of Genesis?

It is indeed a lot of stuff going on. The Bible can be very understated sometimes.

Edited by Emily Waldorf

11 hours ago, Emily Waldorf said:

I'm a little unclear as to what it is you're asking. Are you planning to write something (like a biblical fiction or a devotional) based on the first 9 chapters of Genesis?

What I was thinking of doing is just posting comments and receiving replies to the many different incidents that are recorded from the beginning of Genesis to the end of Revelation.  Like I said that would be a massive amount of work.  I definitely don't want to take on too much.

What I'm now thinking of doing is just posting comments occasionally as I go along.

Today I'm planning to start a different thread, about Genesis 19.  That's the one concerning the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah.  I think that might get a good number of replies.   

• Like 1

On 7/31/2021 at 4:24 PM, Wes B said:

it's still an amazing delight to regularly "discover" new insights, as I read through, yet again. God's Word is a truly amazing thing...

Sometimes we even discover that what we thought we knew misses some key thought that changes our way of thinking.

• Thanks 2

With all the years I’ve tacked on, I’m embarrassed to say I’m only 7/8 through my first attempt (though I’ve done it a few times in a scattered way).   Glad for you William.

I try to do this daily, though not always achieved:   I read one chapter from clusters of books on a rotating basis.  I keep refining the clusters to combine themes, avoid tedium, etc (admittedly suiting my tastes but trusting that God honors the way I do it).  

I don’t cluster OT and NT books together.

I make sure Kings and Chronicles are In separate clusters.  Same for Job, Ecclesiastes, and Lamentations.   Ditto for Psalms and Proverbs.   In the NT, I cluster the Johannine together:  Gospel of John, his epistles, Revelation.   I also put Luke, Acts, Hebrews, James, Peter’s Epistles, and Jude in a single stack that I think of as a “Hebrew Roots” grouping.

All sorts of ways one could clusterr, like a “Second Coming” one:  Acts (for the way they worked knowing the Return is Imminent), Thessalonians, Jude, Peter, Revelation, 

Edited by Ragamuffin_John
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2021 at 10:39 PM, William D'Andrea said:

They did (and we do). Kindly note Genesis 1:27.

Godspeed.

On 8/1/2021 at 9:35 PM, William D'Andrea said:

I'm really not sure how I want to handle all of this.  I've just finished reading the first nine chapters of Genesis.  ...  Those are just the first nine chapters!

Brother William,

If I may, you are too quick. In a couple of days, you've read the Chapters, on the which stands our entire World. They have answers to a lot more questions than you & I can think of.

Kindly slow down.

GOD bless you.

Edited by Igor Evgen
grammar

Jumping in late. You asked about Adam & Eve and God’s response. I recently did a comparative study of the three conversations with Satan in the Bible: with Eve, with God (in Job), and with Jesus (in Matthew). The similarities in the process of temptation, the different responses of each person, and the techniques for resisting it jumped out at me. Reading all three together (along with the parable of the soils, which adds context) was insightful.

Concerning all the other rich material in the beginning of Genesis, I have woven the flood into the backstory of several of my fantasy novels, and the Tower of Babel into two others. (The anti-hero in one unfinished novel is the architect of Babel.) I also based one character on Enoch and had the angels guarding Eden transported to another world on a new mission. Lots of material for the imagination there.