What caused you to want to be a writer?

All Writers start somewhere, with each having a unique story to as why they chose to write. For some it was because they had always loved it and were coming up with ideas 24/7, others they wrote due to an event that changed their life spirituality, or they had a completely different motivation to write. What is yours? Why did you decide to write?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OHHH I LOVE THIS QUESTION SO MUCH 

Ever since I could talk in normal sentences (so age 2) I've talked nonstop. The older I got, the more I talked, so when I was 4 and could read, I decided to use my "gift" (haha not) to make up stories. I'd pick up a book (okay I still do this) and if it has the right feeling I'll "read out loud" which means I'll work on my stories, "reading" them as they come off the top of my head. idk why but this works SO well. anyway! I did that so much that it was inevitable I'd be a writer. once I could write I put my stories on paper (though tbh most of them are still living in the back of my brain)

I love reading, too. We've got thousands of books in my house, so I've always been surrounded by stories! And I know a couple of authors so I've gotten a look at what it's like and I LOVE it. Writing is my freedom. It's my escape from my stress and hurt and confusion--I get to spend hours with people who I love and who love me. I can talk to them and be a part of their little world that I've created :)) it's truly magical and I never want to give that up. 

so! I'm a writer because it's always been a piece of me and because it's freedom for me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I'm an introvert, so I have always felt more comfortable writing things down than talking. I also have always been an avid reader, and from a young age, I dreamed of making up my own worlds where I could lose myself.

It has taken me 43 years to start my first novel, but here I am, excited to finally do it!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I went through a time of rather deep depression. I started writing things down (how I was feeling, how I looked at life, etc.) This was a form of my personal therapy.  I got away from it and started doing flowercraft but went back to it when I felt a calling to write.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've told this many times so most others will already know this. In 2000 (when I was 54), I became very ill with fibromyalgia. I thought the rest of my life would be spent in a wheelchair. But the Lord had a better idea and, over time, brought me out of the very worst of it.

Six months after I became ill, the Lord whispered to my heart that He wanted me to write for Him. I had no idea what that meant. I had only written stinky poetry at that point. But I jumped in full force for the Lord led me to do a deep study and write about the 12 steps of the ancient Hebrew/Jewish betrothal/marriage tradition/custom. And I've been writing devotionals and inspirational stories/parables every since. Thank You, Lord! ❤️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Forgive me.. I'm a very analytical type, and I have to "unscrew the lid" on everything to figure out what's inside and how it works. This ends with a sort of "punchline," that I hope might be worth the time to read...

Every child I see is compelled to imitate what others do, and is delighted when they succeed. I suspect we first learn what creativity is when we discover that we can actually produce something that never existed before. It's probably an electric thrill when it first happens. They find they can build with blocks, draw pictures, and they may even discover that putting their own words together can create brand new pictures, but with our minds. <Thunderbolt !!!> (BTW... I may be mistaken in generalizing this to everyone, but it does describe me, and why I write now...)

Some people stop wanting to make new things that never existed before, but the most fortunate never "grow out of it." Those who retain that childlike need to learn & build new things have given us everything from books, to tasty recipes, to the electronic device you're reading this on.

It is entirely my suspicion, that one reason God gave us this delight in things we've made ourselves is to give us the faintest glimpse of His delight in His creation, and especially His love for us. I mean... just compare... 

If we can be pleased with a few pages of text, or drawing a sketch, or building a table (seems appropriate to sneak a reference to a carpenter in there...) which are so much less complex and detailed than we are, how much more delighted must God feel, for having created us, even with all our imperfections?

And if we would take the time to correct a rough spot in a bookcase, a bug in a website, or some unclear wording in our writing, how much more would an amazingly patient God work to fix up our own rough spots, slowly refining us into what He wants us to be? It's the creative process, just expanded enormously.

So, I do write because it's delightful to create new things, but I think it's delightful to create because God is pleased to show us a glimpse of how He's perfecting us...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Wes B said:

So, I do write because it's delightful to create new things, but I think it's delightful to create because God is pleased to show us a glimpse of how He's perfecting us...

5 hours ago, lynnmosher said:

the Lord whispered to my heart that He wanted me to write for Him.

16 hours ago, ThePerilousPen said:

so! I'm a writer because it's always been a piece of me and because it's freedom for me.

I am impressed by these thoughts. I need inspiration in order to keep going. Thank you for your candid  stories.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Ah, yes, this question....Sooooo, here we go again. 😆 😆

I was a pretty avid reader ever since I was a rather young kid (thank you, Mom, for being extremely perseverance in getting me to learn the alphabet so early...LOL!), and I often liked writing stories (many of which I never finished) based on what I read and based on that style. I started writing maybe around six, but I did find a poem I wrote when I was five...Rather short, but hey, I was five. 😆

Anyhow, as I got older, I had a good deal of notebooks accumulating that I still have to this very day. I kind of stopped writing as much when I became a tween, except for maybe writing poems for school or writing occasional poems that I got ideas for.

And then came last year. 😄

I got the idea to write a story for a particular someone; so I asked her if I could, and she agreed.

So I did. I also started on another story for my older [honorary] sister, since she said I could.

And then came story after story after story. [And poem, too. LOL!] (And I also thank my dad for giving me his old laptop, because otherwise I'd still be handwriting stories or just not bothering to write them at all...LOL!)

As of now...Well, I think it's kinda too late to turn around and quit everything I've written. Sure, I don't like everything, but that's just because I'm a person who likes to critique things and can be a perfectionist (and a high standard kinda gal...lol). I don't know if I'd say it's exactly my calling; I think it's just something I like to do. And since this is a talent God's given me, I might as well use it.

So there's that. 🙂 I want to hear your story now, @Aiden014!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ky_GirlatHeart said:

Ah, yes, this question....Sooooo, here we go again. 😆 😆

I was a pretty avid reader ever since I was a rather young kid (thank you, Mom, for being extremely perseverance in getting me to learn the alphabet so early...LOL!), and I often liked writing stories (many of which I never finished) based on what I read and based on that style. I started writing maybe around six, but I did find a poem I wrote when I was five...Rather short, but hey, I was five. 😆

Anyhow, as I got older, I had a good deal of notebooks accumulating that I still have to this very day. I kind of stopped writing as much when I became a tween, except for maybe writing poems for school or writing occasional poems that I got ideas for.

And then came last year. 😄

I got the idea to write a story for a particular someone; so I asked her if I could, and she agreed.

So I did. I also started on another story for my older [honorary] sister, since she said I could.

And then came story after story after story. [And poem, too. LOL!] (And I also thank my dad for giving me his old laptop, because otherwise I'd still be handwriting stories or just not bothering to write them at all...LOL!)

As of now...Well, I think it's kinda too late to turn around and quit everything I've written. Sure, I don't like everything, but that's just because I'm a person who likes to critique things and can be a perfectionist (and a high standard kinda gal...lol). I don't know if I'd say it's exactly my calling; I think it's just something I like to do. And since this is a talent God's given me, I might as well use it.

So there's that. 🙂 I want to hear your story now, @Aiden014!

Well, I do not know where to begin.

I guess I have always loved both reading and writing, then one day, I decided to begin writing a book. Of course, a few of my ideas have been scrapped, but now I am writing two books currently 

• Like 1

I don't have $100 million to direct the movie, so I write it down instead. My imagination dosen't need a huge budget, a stellar cast of A-list acting talent, exotic locations, or cutting-edge special effects. Because words are free.    

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Accord64 said:

I don't have $100 million to direct the movie, so I write it down instead. My imagination dosen't need a huge budget, a stellar cast of A-list acting talent, exotic locations, or cutting-edge special effects. Because words are free.    

You write screenplays? That's cool. What genre?

29 minutes ago, Emily Waldorf said:

You write screenplays? That's cool. What genre?

Sorry, I guess I didn't make myself clear. I don't write screenplays. It's my books/stories that I see as movies.

• Like 2

In all seriousness, I have no idea as to the actual driver that brought me down this path.  I guess it is because I am a loudmouth who had a need to say something?  

I got the bug writing articles on software, and even a book - all of them published traditionally (there is actually several people named Jeff Potts writing stuff about software.  LOL!)  I found I liked writing quite a bit.  Writing about software, however, was a bit of a dead-end for me.  I follow the trends, however, the way I go about things is almost alien to the software development community.  They have all of these trends that I either don't need, or scratch my head as to why anyone would follow them.  In a way, I tend to WAY ahead of the curve.  The reality is, though, people that ahead of the curve are usually labeled nuts or lackwits.  Then when they are proven correct, they are ignored.  It is what it is.

So...writing about software?  Not for me.

Then someone (a former friend) mentioned that I had a way with words, and that was sort of the spark that lit the engines.  I tried my hand at political commentary but the reality is I hated it.  I'm an aggressive guy in many ways, and I dig in my heels when I know I'm in the right.  This stubborn resolve is tempered by a lack of desire to wallow in a pool of contention and conflict.

I'm not an outrage du jour guy.  I like illustrating much grander subjects.  Weaving those into a fictional narrative just felt natural.

So, that's how I got here.