Favorite book in The Old Testament?

Posted (edited)

I think my fav is judge. I really like how God used all those judges to lead the people back to him, just as we should in this broken world. To lead America and the world back to christ

Edited by Aiden014
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Aiden014 said:

I think my fav is judge. I really like how God used all those judges to lead the people back to him, just as we should in this broken world. To lead America and the world back to christ

Oh cool!  I'm currently reading through the Bible (it's kinda slow going, I must admit) and I'm in the book of Judges right now.  It is pretty interesting!  I just finished the part about Gideon.

• Like 2

C

Just now, Grey_Skies said:

Oh cool!  I'm currently reading through the Bible (it's kinda slow going, I must admit) and I'm in the book of Judges right now.  It is pretty interesting!  I just finished the part about Gideon.

Cool! Judges is really good

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Aiden014 said:

C

Cool! Judges is really good

2 minutes ago, Grey_Skies said:

Not yet

So many favorite stories from the OT! Like Jehu, that guy had character. , when he gets anointed. "Oh, you know those prophets and how they babble..." "It must be Jehu, for he drives like a madman!"

Gideon's a good one, too. Joseph has always been a favorite.

My favorite whole book would probably have to be Ruth. With Daniel as a close second, because of the examples of standing up for your faith even in the face of death.

8 hours ago, Aiden014 said:

But so far I am near the end of the Old Testament 

Oo, oo, oo! I so don't want to give any spoilers, but you're just finishing the Why and getting to the How/Who. It's like almost arriving to the climax.

Jonah. Because God used a schlepper, even when the schlepper didn't want to do it. God succeeded to change him from No-I-won't to Yes-I-will, even though he still didn't want to do it. (Imagine God asking you to preach the gospel to the Taliban. How much of you would want to?) And God succeeded with the schlepper, only for the schlepper to prove he was forever a schlepper.

Gives me hope.

most people find that when I say 'Nehemiah' it is strange. Do you find that strange?

Otherwise, Psalms, Isaiah, and 1 Samuel. OOoh, But Esther, Job, and Genesis are so good, too! And Habakkuk. I really like Habakkuk. 

David is my favorite character.

12 hours ago, Grey_Skies said:

That's a good thing to do. Judges is a book where things take an interesting turn, and it's good to be aware, 'cuz the book takes an astonishingly dark turn at the end. Understand that the Bible is not approving of what happens; it's merely reporting what the people have done.

We often like to imagine that the people in biblical times are just like us, only in quaint costumes, but they lived in harsh and savage times, and they were still a semi-savage people. At the end of the book, they pretty much revert to full savagery. The very final verse in the book is repeated several times throughout the book, and its final use is possibly the deepest use of irony (or maybe even sarcasm?) in all the scriptures.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Wes B said:

The very final verse in the book is repeated several times throughout the book, and its final use is possibly the deepest use of irony (or maybe even sarcasm?) in all the scriptures.

When you say "final verse in the book" do you mean the Old Testament?

"He will turn the hearts of parents to their children and the hearts of children to their parents, so that I will not come and strike the land with a curse."  (Malachi 4:6)

Or do you mean the New Testament?

"The grace of the Lord Jesus be with all the saints. Amen."  (Revelation 22: 21

5 minutes ago, William D'Andrea said:

When you say "final verse in the book" do you mean the Old Testament?

"He will turn the hearts of parents to their children and the hearts of children to their parents, so that I will not come and strike the land with a curse."  (Malachi 4:6)

Or do you mean the New Testament?

"The grace of the Lord Jesus be with all the saints. Amen."  (Revelation 22: 21

Talkin' about the book of Judges... In those days, Israel had no king; everyone did as he saw fit.

Considering the brutal things they just did, that's an almost flabbergasting thing to say, except that it's probably there precisely to strike one final harsh note to a harsh ending.

Judges is kinda' a turning point in the story of God's people. God wanted His people to have no king but Himself, guided by His law. Judges makes it shockingly clear that the people had almost no aptitude for being led by God, and it perhaps shows why God relented and gave them the earthly king they wanted. (The eventual outcome probably shows why God had the right idea in not wanting them to have an earthly king...)

• Like 3

On 7/27/2021 at 10:28 PM, Grey_Skies said:

Dude, do we have the same Bible reading guide or something?? 😆 😆

• Like 3