How often do you bust out a thesaurus?

Just curious. 😂 I don't know if it's just me not being able to find the word on the tip of my tongue or what. But when I'm writing, I keep Thesaurus.com open on a tab and have to refer to it constantly. I'm not even looking for impressive words most of the time, lol. Just ways not to use the same word over and over.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, PenName said:

Just curious. 😂 I don't know if it's just me not being able to find the word on the tip of my tongue or what. But when I'm writing, I keep Thesaurus.com open on a tab and have to refer to it constantly. I'm not even looking for impressive words most of the time, lol. Just ways not to use the same word over and over.

I...don't most of the time. 😆 Periodically, I do; but not a lot.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Accord64 said:

I bust it out after reading through five pages of a draft and discovering my favorite word is smirk. Twelve times over. 

Honestly, it could be after any word I happen to latch onto.   

Haha, I do this. My favorite words are always "seemed" and "suddenly". They pop up like weeds.

• Like 3

I have one, but am often too painfully lazy to crack it open. Since I write almost exclusively on a computer and always have a web browser open, I'll just type the word, plus the word "synonym" into google, and let it do the rest. I deeply respect Peter Mark Roget & all the work he did, but I've sadly abandoned him...

• Like 6

I pop open the dictionary .com thesaurus when I'm doing a readthrough, because I too often find the same word used multiple times in close proximity, and need to find substitutes. 

Edited by Tommie Lyn
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Wes B said:

I deeply respect Peter Mark Roget & all the work he did, but I've sadly abandoned him...

I don't know but this cracked me up. 😂

I've got a thesaurus that I try to use now and again, usually when I get stuck on a word or need a clever or more creative way of saying something.

• Like 2

I bought this version of Word because it has a section for synonyms. So, technically, I never bust out a thesaurus, but I check for better words about once every two paragraphs. ☺️

What I do bust out though is my Emotional Thesaurus. I don't want to say what emotion the character feels. I want to show it.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Accord64 said:

I bust it out after reading through five pages of a draft and discovering my favorite word is smirk.

Where were you when I was asking about smirking? 😆 (I found my fellow smirker.)

Edited by Spaulding
typo, of course
  • Haha 1

I tend to use the PWA one when going through work when editing. Occasionally I will get my well worn dog eared copy out.  I have started to use the Emotional Thesaurus quite a bit and have an Weather Thesaurus on kindle (can't get ahold of the hard copy).

• Like 1

I actually have an online thesaurus open right now to figure out a better way to define something--but that tends to be why I use it. In order to find that "word of the tip of my tongue," which happens when I haven't been getting enough sleep. And that's often.

When it comes to using a word too much, I try to just explain it in a different way, so instead of using a bunch of synonyms for "frowned" (everyone's always frowning in my stories!), I'll just think up other ways to describe their face, or just make them convey their feelings in a different manner altogether.

• Like 1

On 7/28/2021 at 9:21 AM, Spaulding said:

I bought this version of Word because it has a section for synonyms. So, technically, I never bust out a thesaurus, but I check for better words about once every two paragraphs. ☺️

What I do bust out though is my Emotional Thesaurus. I don't want to say what emotion the character feels. I want to show it.

I also use the Emotional thesaurus and the Body Beats manual. Both are excellent. 

• Like 3