Here is a portion of the article Flipping Fantasy Tropes on the site The Blood Red Pencil with suggestions on how to change up your characters so they're not rubber-stamped and other suggestions. I thought it was interesting. You can read the rest on the site.

2. I may be in the minority on this, but I am thoroughly sick of heroines and heroes who are perfect, the most beautiful, the best, etc. If I read the word "hot" one more time, I will not be responsible for what happens to the book's pages. I tried to read a book recently that had the word "hot" thirty-two times in the first chapter. Can we please have average or interesting looking people as heroes? Perhaps shift the focus of character description from beauty to personality traits, the way they walk, talk, act? What makes your characters unique? I will again refer to Bardugo's Ketterdam world in Six of Crows. There are so many fascinating characters that are not "hot" or "perfect."

• Like 3
34 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

I tried to read a book recently that had the word "hot" thirty-two times in the first chapter.

areyouserious.gif.d858e46ceb59b1ee891ab8edbcf3e9f0.gif

36 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

Can we please have average or interesting looking people as heroes?

581647158_giphy(41).gif.480d892d73c181dd0d67a1b23fe90988.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

hehe. my fantasy characters are anything but average (well, I guess they are average for their perspective races, but their races aren't the average ones), but I'm glad I didn't every stoop to describing them as "hot" or anything akin to that. 🤣

50 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

I tried to read a book recently that had the word "hot" thirty-two times in the first chapter

I am so glad I've never picked that book up! That sounds horrible! 

• Like 1

But what if you are writing fan fiction about Lava Girl?

The heroine in my last novel suffered from embarrassing body odor. Another story (half-written) that I hope to return to in the near future has a teenager who is embarrassed by rosacea and mercilessly mocked by her classmates over it. 

To me, it is not a matter of what readers think, but what I think. I personally am drawn to rejected, imperfect people and can empathize with them. I can't write characters that I don't care about.

On 7/21/2021 at 9:53 PM, lynnmosher said:

I may be in the minority on this, but I am thoroughly sick of heroines and heroes who are perfect, the most beautiful, the best, etc.

This isn't just a fantasy trope.

Mary Sues are everywhere.

11 hours ago, lynnmosher said:

Exactly. That's the point of the article. No nicely dressed, smelling good heroes. Make them real. Like you're doing. 😃

1 hour ago, carolinamtne said:

I thought our characters were supposed to have flaws! Like real people.

I don't mind the "pretty/handsome" part so much, though maybe not to the extreme cited in the article. Those things can be balanced out easily as @paulchernoch mentioned with a negative flaw, trait, or habit, but what I don't like is the perfect/ne'er do wrong/always save the day/ learn every skill or power in a mili-

second type whose mistakes (if any) are minimal and can be blamed on another character. 

I'm looking at you, Rey!

I tried to read a book recently that had the word "hot" thirty-two times in the first chapter.

image.thumb.png.baefc955b5afe5f819da43cc4417b10b.png

• Haha 1

🤣

i like it best when the reader gets to grow with the character. Actually, that's my number one go to for grading how much I like a book (usually) - character development. .... if there is nothing to develop... wow, what a flat character! even if he/she is the cherry-picked version of samson, solomon, and esther all wrapped up in one 🙄

Here is a portion of the article Flipping Fantasy Tropes on the site The Blood Red Pencil with suggestions on how to change up your characters so they're not rubber-stamped and other suggestions. I thought it was interesting. You can read the rest on the site.

2. I may be in the minority on this, but I am thoroughly sick of heroines and heroes who are perfect, the most beautiful, the best, etc. If I read the word "hot" one more time, I will not be responsible for what happens to the book's pages. I tried to read a book recently that had the word "hot" thirty-two times in the first chapter. Can we please have average or interesting looking people as heroes? Perhaps shift the focus of character description from beauty to personality traits, the way they walk, talk, act? What makes your characters unique? I will again refer to Bardugo's Ketterdam world in Six of Crows. There are so many fascinating characters that are not "hot" or "perfect."

Frankie Falawell is anything but "hot."  I described him as plain, and his only special ability is to be lost in a crowd.

Butt-kickers and suave romancers are really boring to write.

When I was a teenager, I read lots of Doc Savage novels. He was an example of the steadfast character. He never changes. He is the perfect hero who when faced with challenges never abandon his beliefs, his friends, or perfect strangers in need of help.

We may look down on poor attempts to realize such characters, but we need them. Growth is important, as it exemplifies humility and recognizing the need to change, often with the help of others. But once a person has grown, they need to manifest courage and conviction and find the strength to not let go of the good in the face of evil. We need to have heroes that give us hope that we can remain steadfast in the face of evil. With so many anti-heroes in literature and film, how are children to learn this?