Looking for Beta Reader?

Hi,

I'm looking for a Beta Reader/Critique partner for my ~46k word book. A fictional book intended for Christians or non-Christians. Readers that don't mind a slightly gritty world.

Holding to Christian values: there is no curse words, no adult content, mild violence.

As for Genre: I was aiming for a Literary fiction but it has some dystopian elements. Let me know if you're interested or have questions.

Edited by Mercedes W.

Thanks for anyone interested. I'm currently working on grammar I missed, making it hard to comprehend.

The book is a present tense, multi-p.o.v, I'll be adding scenes to the critique section of these forums, at least until I can make it comprehend-able enough, for someone not to get thrown out of the story due to my own writing.

I will update in no more than 21 days (that long if something comes up I didn't anticipate), but it shouldn't take longer. If still interested.

• Haha 1

(Spoilers) +

On 8/6/2021 at 2:33 PM, Shamrock said:

Can you summarize the plot please.

Don't know if you wanted a brief summery, or a blurb - and I have set on my blurb yet.

Bare-Bones:

To save the town from approaching disaster,

and mend/restore the hearts of the remnant of the estranged family.

Attempt at a blurb (ii):

When a island’s survival is put in the very hands the island betrayed, the Holloway's, a family heartbroken and powerful. It's Rachel Holloway: a scavenging hermit; known for giving people no more than a glance from the window. Whose ignored the island, until she figures out it's on the path of a outrageous storm. Her and her son, Chance: an outgoing young man, with an unhealthily ambition on keeping his family safe. Attempt to help the islanders, but a fellow Holloway, casts Rachel and Chance out into a wildly different world beyond the lake. Of colossal trains: housing apartments, aircraft strips and other-works. People from cultures from across the country. Attempting to receive help from those with organically complex or indifferent personalities. Can the Holloway’s mend their wounds, restore their faith and be able to rescue their home island?

Edited by Mercedes W.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, I tinkered and nit-picked until it's getting silly. I have to hold down my perfectionist captain of the ship and let the more haphazard counterpart take over. "I'm sorry captain, but we'll never get anywhere at this rate!"

Captain: "No! She's not sea ready!"

"HOIST THE ANCHORS!"

😅

I want to know anything people can think of. How it reads, did I miss stuff, how it flows, anything. Keep in mind it might have problems, grammar, structure, punctuation, who knows. I'm hoping it's not bad enough to throw readers out of it making it incomprehensible. Might need to go to a professional editor.

In general, this story summarizes: when everything goes wrong/whatever you've done/no matter how far you are from him, you can count of Jesus. But it's subtle up first.

Still can't figure out a blurb ... or a title.

If you're interested let me know.

On 8/6/2021 at 7:00 PM, Mercedes W. said:

When a island’s survival is put in the very hands the island betrayed, the Holloway's, a family heartbroken and powerful.

The first part of this is a dependent clause, starting with "when." The second part needs a verb. It only has a subject.

"island" starts with a vowel sound. "an island's ..."

Sending you a PM.

• Like 1