1 hour ago, suspensewriter said:

To write 2500 words?

It depends on a lot of things. If I've planned the scene ahead of time and know exactly what's going to happen and I use voice dictation, about 15 minutes.

If I'm typing and haven't given it any thought ahead of time, maybe two to three hours of focused work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
14 hours ago, EBraten said:

If I've planned the scene ahead of time and know exactly what's going to happen and I use voice dictation, about 15 minutes.

11 hours ago, suspensewriter said:

Yep, EBraten-- I use voice dictation, too!

Voice dictation? Wow, no wonder I've been having a bad case of writer's block lately. I've been doing it wrong. 🤪

17425950_639637709553374_3591698372909464990_n.jpg.11f21c0f574cc6cfbe220cc07775bc0e.jpg

But seriously, 2500 words could take me all day (and then some), depending on what I'm writing.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
15 hours ago, suspensewriter said:

To write 2500 words?

56 minutes. (I write 45 wpm.)

Or... did you mean good words without typos? That takes a lot longer.

If you want to know my fastest:

My MG novel chapters averaged 2000. With 21 chapters the first draft, I finished it in February 2010. I spent the next 13 months reworking it until I couldn't make it better, than posted it for hardcore review. (I told a group of writers that this was my polished work that I was ready to query, and they went to prove it was not ready to query. Loved them for that.) It was ready to query in 2015, after completely rewriting the middle, and dumping the last two chapters.

Worst case scenario: I started the second novel in the series in 2018, and I'm halfway through chapter 8. Unlike the last novel, I don't have the story specifically pinned on the mental storyline in my head, so I'm wiser, and know this isn't even close to my last draft.

(Meanwhile, I have a writer friend who does pump out the first/last draft every time, and he's published over 20 books. Photographic memory, IQ in the 160s, and university level writing teacher, so, yeah. Annoying. ☺️)

I honestly don't think there is a good-bad in how quickly anyone can write 2500 words, probably because of after that then we have to make them good-words. I do believe 16K words in three years will never cut it, if I were a fulltime writer.

As others have mentioned, it depends on what I'm writing. If it's flowing smoothly and in the right direction, I recently wrote 1700 words in an hour. Other times ... an hour might manage a couple hundred words, a thousand footsteps, and three cookies. (I pace when I'm writing if it doesn't come. I also eat cookies.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I can type 1500 to 2000 words in an hour if all goes well (that's my average). 2500 words can take me about an hour and a half. But by "if all goes well" I mean if the story is working up to the point that I'm at and doesn't need something to be fixed and if the individual scene is working well. If something isn't right, then it can take me longer to get the words in.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow, a bunch of you are impressively fast! For me, it would probably take 2-3 days...but my stories tend to clock out at 40k words, so I still feel like I'm writing pretty fast even when I'm not actually writing a ton at any one time. (Little kids, busy life with lots of moving parts, etc.)

I also don't use a lot of words to begin with, and I tend to edit as I go along, which tends to bring the word count down.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

No idea. But I do know that there are times just get a few paragraphs can take hours while other times i can get pages down - it depends on how clearly I can 'see' the scene I am writing and how complex it is.  For instance, I know that writing action scene always take me longer than emotional scenes. 

• Thanks 1

Wow! So many of you are fast. I think my record for an entire day I had set aside was 2500-3000 words. But my problem is I can't type for hours without losing focus. I have to take breaks to reset my brain. 

I think I did 1000 words in one hour once, but then my brain went kaput. 😁

• Thanks 1

One thing I've noticed is that when I first start a draft, I'm actually a bit slower than normal, but by the time I finish I might be setting new personal records or something. So for me, writing really is like running–when I take a break, it's takes time to build back up to what I was used to.

I've also noticed this with the length of my stories. My first NaNoWriMo, I had to write one and a half stories to reach the 50k goal (the one ended at 38k words). The next story I wrote broke 50k, then the one after went longer, and so on.

• Thanks 1
On 7/10/2021 at 3:31 PM, suspensewriter said:

To write 2500 words?

No clue. I don't measure wordcount by time, I measure it by completion. By that I mean I know I need to satisfy the Five Commandments of Story for each chapter, and I work until I get them all in. I turn in a new polished chapter to my editing group every week, and that's been running around 6k words pretty regularly. 

• Thanks 1
On 7/10/2021 at 3:31 PM, suspensewriter said:

To write 2500 words?

I don't know. But the first time I participated in NaNoWriMo, I wrote more than the 50k words required during the first 10 days...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I write in scenes. I usually crank out a scene within a day. Each scene unedited, is usually about 1k. So most of the time when I already know what to write I can get that in two days.

If you ask my handy word processor, it says my process will get me less-than zero a day... 🤔

• Thanks 1