What About Angels?

How do you go about talking about angels in your work?  Or do you ignore them in your fiction and your non-fiction works as well.  Do you have them talk, or is making up things for them to say off-limits, too? 

I was thinking of using them in the Jesus Road 3 to talk to Joshua, but now I'm not sure.

• Like 1

I agree with Lynn. But here's another thought.

Christianity believes in Jesus as eternal, having spoken the universe into existence as "the Word" at creation. According to biblical scholars, that supports the theology of pre-incarnate Jesus. In other words, whenever people encountered God as a man, it was Jesus. 

People in Old Testament times didn't know Him with the name Jesus, because He hadn't been born as a human and been given that name. But they recognized Him as God--usually referring to Him as "Lord." Since Jesus said that no one has seen the Father except Him and the Holy Spirit has no physical existence, logically the God-in-human-form people saw, was Jesus. Those appearances are referred to theologically as theophanies or Christophanies.

Thus, if it worked for you, you could have Joshua speak directly to Jesus, which could be fun.

Or just leave it as an angel because that works also.

Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I depends upon the genre. 

If you are doing historical fiction you might want to stay close to the biblical version. But because it is fiction, I'd feel comfortable having an angel talk to Joshua as long as it is within the context of the story.

In Speculative Faction I've read the characters emotions and actions stray outside of the bible story to make a point or expand the theme. Wide leeway in these types of stories.

I have dragons in my fantasy series, Fear Not the Dragon, (just like angels, when they appear to men they say "Fear not."), have the role of messenger angels and spiritual warriors. Whole different genre.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In New York City there is an organization named Guardian Angels.  "A non-profit international volunteer organization of unarmed crime prevention."

The Organization's founder and head, named Curtis Sliwa, is this year's Republican Party Candidate for Mayor of New York City. 

His Democratic Party opponent is Eric Adams.  Brooklyn borough president.  A black man, and former New York City police officer.

They both look like worthy opponents, and either would be much better at restoring the City, than retiring Mayor Bill DeBlasio was at bringing it down.

While I don't live in the City, I pray for the actual Guardian Angels, to have their candidate win by a landslide.

In Jesus Name.  Amen.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, lynnmosher said:

My opinion? I don't know of any reason why you couldn't use angels to talk to your character.

Indeed. A brief encounter from one of my novels:

As the thoughts of his discussion with Sean echoed through his mind, Ben was oblivious to a rainbow forming in the sky above. Before long, a shadow fell across his seat. Ben looked up to see the sun gleaming behind a silhouette of a person. One side of the rainbow fell out of view behind his shoulder.

Ben's eyes adjusted to the light and he saw an elderly man dressed in worn clothes. His unshaven gray beard hung unevenly off his chin. Deep lines of age were cut into his face, and his eyes conveyed a look of declining health. Since the Forge had almost total employment, the sight of a homeless person was unusual.

Ben sat motionless as the old man stared at him. He had never seen him around before, and was captivated by the timeless, deep, and inexplicable expression of suffering in his eyes.

“They're coming,” the old man's raspy voice spoke. “You need to let them finish.”

“Who?” Ben asked.

The old man turned and slowly limped away, down a long path rimmed by colorful tulips.

“Hey Ben!” a voice called out from the opposite direction. It came from John Boyal, chief caretaker of the gardens.

“John,” Ben replied as he stood up and shook his hand. “I was enjoying more of your gardening magic.”

“Thanks, nice to know I can still fool someone.”

“Who's the old man that--” Ben stopped as he looked back in the direction the old man had limped off to, but he was gone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have talked to many people who have had real life angelic experiences, although they didn't know until afterwards, but even the Bible says in Hebrews 13:2 "Do not forget to show hospitality to strangers, for by so doing some people have shown hospitality to angels without knowing it."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Jeff Potts said:

The wizards in my literary world are of Divine origin, so they are angelic in nature.  As are the Heralds, and other associated spirits.

But I don't reference angels by name or classic definition.

Now that's an idea, Jeff.  That deserves careful consideration.