For those of you who don't cook dried beans, that may seem like a weird question, but believe me, it's not (you wouldn't want to break a tooth on a tiny rock that was left in the beans because they weren't "looked."). I was reminded of "looking the beans" today when I received my daily email from Tipper Pressley's "Blind Pig & the Acorn" blog. Tipper blogs about all things Appalachian.

And for those of you who don't know, "Appalachian" is pronounced ap-puh-LATCH-un, NOT ap-puh-lay-shun. Like the town in the Florida panhandle, Apalachicola, the word Appalachian is derived from Apalachee, the Florida panhandle Indian tribe.

• Like 4
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For those of you who don't cook dried beans, that may seem like a weird question, but believe me, it's not (you wouldn't want to break a tooth on a tiny rock that was left in the beans because they we

That's true. But I'm guessing they were high for a long time which caused the stroke. Not just one spike. But I don't blame you for wanting to be cautious. I'd feel the same. ❤️

Sure! Gotta throw some fun stuff in with all the serious stuff. 😃🙃

1 hour ago, Tommie Lyn said:

wouldn't want to break a tooth on a tiny rock that was left in the beans because they weren't "looked."

I did find a pea-sized rock in some black beans!  Also found a chromed bearing of some sort in some meal worms.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2
4 minutes ago, Paul but not THE said:

I did find a pea-sized rock in some black beans!  Also found a chromed bearing of some sort in some meal worms.

Yikes! I always made sure to look the beans well so as not to have a rude surprise like that (back when I was still allowed to eat beans and cooked them regularly... diabetes has changed that.) But a chromed bearing? Wow!

25 minutes ago, William D'Andrea said:

I've never found a single pebble in any canned or packaged foods I've purchased.   

I've found many pebbles, little dried sticks, etc. in packaged dried beans from the store. That's why I was always careful to look the beans before I washed and cooked them. 

• Like 1

This is a good reminder, as I don't always do it. The particular type I tend to buy (Goya brand black beans) have never had any problems when I have looked them over before soaking them, so I've gotten a little lax at times. I promise to check the next bag over carefully, before making my next big ol' pot o' chili...

• Like 3

In the local supermarkets, there are prepackaged southern style meals, prepared ahead of time.  I follow the directions on the package, heating them up in a microwave oven for between 4 to 5 minutes.  It all comes out good, tasty and healthy.  Then I thank the Lord for what I am about to eat.  In Jesus Name.  Amen.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Paul but not THE said:

Wow, I thought beans were some of those good-for-you-whatever-the-ailment sort of food.  Never thought of 'em as high carb like most grains.

Unfortunately, one cup of cooked pinto beans (my faves) have 45, count 'em, FORTY-FIVE carbs. ~sigh~ 

• Sad 2
3 minutes ago, Paul but not THE said:

Now those prepackaged meals usually have way too much sodium for me --my diabetic wife sometimes says with a smile, "Not for me!"

Same with me... too much sodium, among other forbidden elements.

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Paul but not THE said:

Wow, I thought beans were some of those good-for-you-whatever-the-ailment sort of food.  Never thought of 'em as high carb like most grains.

Even my other forbidden food, corn, has almost as many carbs as beans -- 41 grams per cup. (Being Cherokee, I love the Three Sisters: corn, beans, and squash) 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Tommie Lyn said:

(Being Cherokee, I love the Three Sisters: corn, beans, and squash) 

My daughter was just telling me the other day about the Three Sisters; I'd never heard the phrase before. It's almost shockingly  ingenious how they can grow together & support one another so harmoniously...

• Like 2

Sigh. I can't eat  beans either. Not because I'm diabetic, but because of digestion problems. The good news, I'm not a fan of beans anyway. The only way I ate them was pinto beans refried or in chili. No other bean, thank you. My husband loves beans. So he eats his beans and I have my squash. And we are both happy. 😊

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Wes B said:

My daughter was just telling me the other day about the Three Sisters; I'd never heard the phrase before. It's almost shockingly  ingenious how they can grow together & support one another so harmoniously...

Yes!

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Paul but not THE said:

My wife hates beans, EXCEPT, for the ones I make into crackers.  They even helped bring her LDLs way down.

What beans do you use and how do you make them into crackers? I'm intrigued.

Me, too! Me, too! I wanna know about the crackers. I love beans. Especially black beans and cannellinis. Use them so much in the winter time for soups. And I love black beans and wild rice. Yummo! 😃

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

I love beans. Especially black beans

Pintos are my faves, but black beans come in a close second. A couple of weeks ago, I couldn't withstand the temptation any longer and had some black bean soup. YOWZA! You should have seen my glucose numbers 😢. I won't be doing that again any time soon.