inquiring about children's book publishing for a friend

I have a friend who both wrote and illustrated an Christian children's book. She has done much research and has been in contact I know with someone in the publishing industry, but she can't find anyone to take a serious look at her book. I went to a gathering with those of my Bible Study, and my friend had her book with her, but both the font and the pictures were done in yellow so I couldn't read the story with my impaired vision. It wasn't really the time to have her read the whole story to me. Does anyone know about the children's publishing industry? i told her about this website as well. Any advice would be great. I know most here write young adult and adult material. 

Edited by Brittany Elizabeth
  • Like 1

First, it doesn't meet the industry standards. The text and images cannot be in yellow. Offhand, I don't know of any publisher that will take it if she does not have an agent. That's not to say that there aren't any. Has she narrowed down the publishers and have a list?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
21 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

First, it doesn't meet the industry standards. The text and images cannot be in yellow. Offhand, I don't know of any publisher that will take it if she does not have an agent. That's not to say that there aren't any. Has she narrowed down the publishers and have a list?

Oh, dear 😞. I can mention the color to her. Yes, I do believe she made a list and unfortunately exhausted it I am pretty sure, but can't be positive. 

• Like 1

Brittany, I'm guessing you mean Picture Book (PB), when you say children's book. First Chapter Books, (Think Winnie the Pooh), and Middle Grade books (MG), also fall under children's books.

It might sound picky, but it matters if it's a PB, mostly because no one will represent a single PB. They expect three, and the ability to create more quickly, but only after the first three sell enough to make it worth it. PB is the only kind that has to be a multitude at once. And yes, illustrator and writer works great, if both meet up to what the agent or publisher wants. (i.e. if the publisher wants realistic illustrations for the story, and the writer chose anime, then publishing is less likely.) Above average chance, they'll want their own illustrator.

Also, since she truly needs to understand how this all works, since the illustrations shouldn't be in the text, but a separate folder. And, she has to know how many pages the story needs to be, which pages are full-page illustrations, which is the two-page illustration, and which are the smaller illustrations. (I know half-page, but I don't remember if quarter-page is a thing.) Along with knowing all that, she has to know what sizes to present with the query.

It's a lot more complicated than this, and she will need to learn more about it before considering querying. I bought some books on it when I started writing fiction. (It doesn't sound like she's researched enough yet.) That's how I know this much. But I read them 15 years ago, so I only remember some. That's also how I learned there is no way I want to do PBs as a starting point, and, although I'm pretty good at drawing, I'm not good enough to think I'll ever illustrate my own stories. I'm not being modest. It's far, far above my skill set.

I'd name the books I read, except we're in the middle of getting our house remodeled, and I can't reach that bookshelf. 🥴

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Spaulding said:

It's a lot more complicated than this, and she will need to learn more about it before considering querying.

Yikes, it definitely seems complicated! 🙄 Thank you so much! I really appreciate being given this information. I am not sure if my friend has done any other writing. But she is sending me her story and illustrations because I want to read it.  After that I can find an opportunity to talk with her more about the information you all have given me. 

Edited by Brittany Elizabeth
  • Like 1