I think someone should write a book as a sleep-deprived person and you have to try and figure out what words they're trying to say in their narration.

Trying to figure out what a microscope is, I had to do an internet search for the best way I could think of to describe it. "Magnifier. No, Magnifying... scope." (Thankfully search engines can figure out what I mean!)

Who else has fun words like these?

• Like 2

Lol, same here! I remember trying to figure out the past tense of "kneel." I was sitting there thinking, It's kneeled. I tried it twice, but the red squiggly line came up under it. I was so confused. Then I realized it was knelt.

*smh*

• Like 2
1 hour ago, carolinamtne said:

Sure glad to have younger people having trouble with words.

Pffffttt, you should see how many younger people (if you might classify us as that...for now lol) can't get "your" and "you're" right. Drives me bananas!!!!!!

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, Ky_GirlatHeart said:

how many younger people (if you might classify us as that...for now lol) can't get "your" and "you're" right.

Your not alone! (Deliberate, but notice how often it happens, even in the newspaper!)

My pet peeve is "its" and "it's."

Edited by carolinamtne
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Just now, carolinamtne said:

Your not alone! (Deliberate, but notice how often it happens, even in the newspaper!

And then there's people who don't know the difference between lie and lay...*le sigh*

• Like 1

One of my normal jobs is as an IT Support person at a school.... I often see the students computers through classroom management software and watching write makes me wonder what has happened to education. Most of them can't spell without the help of Microsoft Word and during one story a boy wrote about calling the police by calling 911 ... which may not seem strange except that in Australia we call 000

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I 'm in my 70's and was told how stupid I was most of my years in elementary school. My mother kept me out of Special Education mostly because  she didn't want the stigma of having a special needs child when she was always boasting about my brothers and sister's academic achievements.  When I was younger I couldn't understand the logic of spelling, and after a while words on a page stopped making sense.  I got headaches from trying to read, and was told I was just lazy. I sat in the back of crowded classrooms and was ignored. 

My junior year in high school I became friends with a blind student who listened to the texts on tape and we studied together. She convinced the teacher to let me take the tests like she did - orally- and I received my first A. The teacher became my advocate and had me taken in for testing as a dyslexic. My life changed. I learned to love the history of words- finding logic in the history of the language. I learned to be persistent in rewriting. Reading and writing became an important part of my life.

I learned not to think of myself as stupid, but challenged. The trivial judgements stopped bothering me and I attended a Christian College that helped me love myself as God made me and went on to be a Special Education Teacher.

I agree that many children are not being taught in the correct manner in school. Texting has taught them to ignore spelling, and  word check enables them to get by using the computer as an editor. I agree it is frustrating to read unedited work. But please remember to look beyond the mistakes in structure to the ideas being expressed.  

And my pet peeve is over use of  general adjectives, especially beautiful.  ( OK, We all judge. Just judge the skill level, not the person)

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, LauraJo said:

I 'm in my 70's and was told how stupid I was most of my years in elementary school. My mother kept me out of Special Education mostly because  she didn't want the stigma of having a special needs child when she was always boasting about my brothers and sister's academic achievements.  When I was younger I couldn't understand the logic of spelling, and after a while words on a page stopped making sense.  I got headaches from trying to read, and was told I was just lazy. I sat in the back of crowded classrooms and was ignored. 

My junior year in high school I became friends with a blind student who listened to the texts on tape and we studied together. She convinced the teacher to let me take the tests like she did - orally- and I received my first A. The teacher became my advocate and had me taken in for testing as a dyslexic. My life changed. I learned to love the history of words- finding logic in the history of the language. I learned to be persistent in rewriting. Reading and writing became an important part of my life.

I learned not to think of myself as stupid, but challenged. The trivial judgements stopped bothering me and I attended a Christian College that helped me love myself as God made me and went on to be a Special Education Teacher.

I agree that many children are not being taught in the correct manner in school. Texting has taught them to ignore spelling, and  word check enables them to get by using the computer as an editor. I agree it is frustrating to read unedited work. But please remember to look beyond the mistakes in structure to the ideas being expressed.  

And my pet peeve is over use of  general adjectives, especially beautiful.  ( OK, We all judge. Just judge the skill level, not the person)

I'm sorry you went through that during elementary school. 😞 However, I am glad that you were able to overcome this with Christ's help1

I wasn't trying to be rude or sound offensive. I was just pointing out the fact that a lot of people in this day and age don't tend to know the difference between a lot of common words. That might also just be me because my curriculum actually took the time to teach me these things (and I also tend to correct my sisters with their spelling and grammar because that's the teacher side of me). I apologize if I offended you. That wasn't my intention.

• Like 2

No, I didn't think you rude. And yes, I am sensitive. But I agree with you. It is the curriculum and the social acceptance of colloquial grammar. I retired ten years ago, but at that time, the school board announced that we could no longer correct grammar of Ebonics or the mistakes of English as a second language sentence construction. It is a disservice not to teach them business language. But my point was just remember not to judge the person. Actually, I am dependent on people to correct my work and appreciate the help. +

• Like 2

This sentence structure sets my teeth on edge: "Look what Mom got for her and I."

We had a niece who used that structure all the time. Due to the fact that she was older than we were, I chose not to correct her. I hear it more and more. The educators are making a huge mistake by changing the cirriculum as often as they do, ( Just my opinion.)

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, quietspirit said:

This sentence structure sets my teeth on edge: "Look what Mom got for her and I."

We had a niece who used that structure all the time. Due to the fact that she was older than we were, I chose not to correct her. I hear it more and more. The educators are making a huge mistake by changing the cirriculum as often as they do, ( Just my opinion.)

Yes!! I agree! I'm thinking to myself, "It's for her and me, it's for her and me, it's for her and me..."

*sigh*

• Like 1
2 hours ago, LauraJo said:

You're right... it seems that children are not being taught how to properly use English. (I refuse to participate in texting because it seems to me texting is helping bring about the death of the English language.) English is hard enough when we try to get it right, but if we're not even taught how to use it...

17 hours ago, Ky_GirlatHeart said:

Pffffttt, you should see how many younger people (if you might classify us as that...for now lol) can't get "your" and "you're" right. Drives me bananas!!!!!!

There, their, they're. 😉

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Tommie Lyn said:

** To reassure Spaulding, Tommie Lyn pats Spaulding's shoulder while softly murmuring, "There, their, they're. It'll be ok." *

That's genius. 😆

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Tommie Lyn said:

You're right... it seems that children are not being taught how to properly use English. (I refuse to participate in texting because it seems to me texting is helping bring about the death of the English language.) English is hard enough when we try to get it right, but if we're not even taught how to use it...

I have another reason I refuse to text. Alexander Graham Bell made this thingy that's really cool. You talk into the speaker, someone far away listens in a receiver, and talks back to you. You can have whole conversations on this telephone thingamajig. Which means, (and you might want to sit down for this part), you don't have to write or type. Wow! And bonus points: Unless you're an executive secretary, it's faster to talk than type.

Shocking. Ain't it? (And somewhere in that story, I've been able to get brothers, sister, nieces, nephews, great-nieces and great-nephews to roll their eyes multiple times at me, while they fidget, wondering if they can get back to their smartphones.) 😆

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Spaulding said:

(And somewhere in that story, I've been able to get brothers, sister, nieces, nephews, great-nieces and great-nephews to roll their eyes multiple times at me, while they fidget, wondering if they can get back to their smartphones.) 

Then we just have to wait for this generation to grow up and explain smartphones to our kids and grandkids while they wonder when they can get back to their whatever-devices-exist-in-that-time-if-the-world-doesn't-end-by-then.

• Haha 1

I have four of a kind on this one:

1. I type 45 wpm. I typo 90 wpm.

2. From the reaction of all my English teachers from 7th grade to 15th grade, (junior year in college, but unknown what that's called in the UK), it was my first through 6th grade teachers fault that I didn't learn all of grammar. It was never their problem. (Oh, in 15th grade, my faculty advisor didn't let me student teach because I don't know grammar enough. I don't blame her for not letting me teach English. Still, shouldn't someone have helped me from middle school through high school?)

3. I forgot plenty of words when I was young. The older I get the more I forget. Hubby and I now understand each other when I ask him where the channel-surfing gizmo is, or the water holder is, (bucket), and if we can tape something.

4. Aphasia -- visually and verbally. I have figured out that I get the beginning of the word sounding alike, but that doesn't mean I end with the right word. (Why/while. Awkward/always. Dive/divide.) My clue that I misspoke is from the person's expression. Visually, I sometimes catch it during proofing. Sometimes proofing, but not for a day or two.

So, that's your problem. Did I typo or did I brain-burp again? 😏

(And, yes, as a writer, I have to get it right. Fortunately, reworking and editing a few dozen times sorts it.)

• Like 1