When writing, are your pets quiet or demanding?

If you have pets, are they for the most part quiet and calm, and will let you write with very little interruption? Or are they demanding, and you might have to put them outside or in another room while you work?

I had both, my dog now Valiant is so good and will let me write without interruption for more than a couple of hours.  i sit and work on the floor a lot haha. My puppy lays right against me much of the time. Valiant is not allowed on the furniture and since he is a service dog, I keep to the rules that my instructors gave me. His training has no doubt played a big part in his good behavior, but still some have more energy than others. Like most dogs he just wants to be near his owner. 

When I had my cockatiel, Samie on the other hand, she was always demanding my attention haha. When I was reading and she was on my shoulder, she would come down and try to chew the pages of the book I was reading. And once I had a very old laptop and I was writing , Samie walked right on the keyboard and with her beak actually removed a couple of the keys. More than once she chewed the cords of a device I was using at the time. i would shoo her away with my hand or put her back on my shoulder and she would come right back like a toddler might haha. I didn't put her away though, she was mostly with me. She was so smart! Valiant is too, but as a lab just wants to please. 

• Like 3

We've got four Chihuahuas that really love to yap!  The four cats are quiet, the four rabbits done't make a sound, three of the chickens are female and are pretty quiet, but one's a rooster so I'll let you guess.  The blind squirrel doesn't make a noise! 

• Like 3
11 hours ago, suspensewriter said:

The blind squirrel doesn't make a noise! 

Wow, you have quite a few animals, Suspensewriter! With four conversational dogs, it is wonderful you can focus. My friend's parents have chickens and a rooster, and I have stayed over when she was house-sitting for them, so I don't need to guess 😄. How did you end up with a squirrel? Did you find him or her as an adult, or as a baby? 

• Thanks 1

Inside, we have three cats and a teenage dog. In this heat, they just lie around and wish it were winter again. The dog barks to go outside and when he hears a strange noise. The cats are only a problem when they think it's feeding time.

But I taught junior and senior high school students for 30 years, so ...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I'm thinking this site should be renamed "Christian Writers with their Zoos." (Maybe farm, but I've never seen a cockatiel on a farm.)

I have many furies, but none are warm-bloods. I can't get them to be quiet... ever. Then again, without them there would be no story. My stuffed animals are also characters in my story/stories, and tend to tell me what to write constantly. Albeit, IRL, mostly in my mind.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We have one cat. He's usually asleep in hubby's chair in his office. Or downstairs meowing at our son and his fiancee to play with him or take him for a walk. Bugging them to pieces! If he meows and scratches at the kitchen/garage door, then it's me who has to let him out. It's his hunting ground. He's found a few mice out there when they sneak in through the crack in the bottom of the door that goes outside. And now he likes to bring them inside! Ooo-ick! And they're still alive. And we have to chase each one, grab it, and put it way out in the yard. Probably to come back again! Oh, how I hate mice! Yuck! 😣🙄🤪😵🙃

• Haha 3

Taz, our rat terrier, is a very vocal dog. He has a comment to make about almost everything. But especially, he loves howling at television commercials that feature children's voices, like the ones for Shriners' Hospital. Lately, there haven't been quite as many of those commercials aired, so he's been hard up for something to howl at and has picked a few other commercials that fit whatever criteria he uses to judge howlability. 

• Haha 3
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, lynnmosher said:

And now he likes to bring them inside! Ooo-ick! And they're still alive. And we have to chase each one, grab it, and put it way out in the yard.

I've heard of plenty of cats that bring small creatures to the door, but not really inside and especially not both inside and alive. I hope it is only a rare occurrence that your cat has done this! 

Edited by Brittany Elizabeth
  • Like 1