LauraJo Writing Fantasy to explore my faith

LauraJo

Hello from LauraJo

I am going through a hard time and exploring the depth of my faith. I began writing a series of fantasy novels with the main characters asking questions about their relationship to the Creator. I have built a world where the magic of the Mesopotamian deities is real and the Faithful still follow the Creator.  The tag line is- A drought has devastated the Northern lands and Thaddaeus, a grieving farmer, joins a Eastern Warrior and a young scholar on a journey to discover why the Creator no longer answers his peoples' prayers or if only the magic of the cult priests can bring the rains. 

I have had support of critique groups but I am looking for partners that will help me with the themes. I want to write a fantasy book that asks the hard questions and will appeal to a general audience, but have an accompanying website that discusses the Christian answers and supports the Christian faith. I am looking for partners to help with both. 

I have about half of my book finished and hope to complete it by the end of this year.  

Glad to find a place where I can support other writers and be supported.

• Like 3

Welcome to our writing family, LauraJo. Glad you joined us. You'll find plenty of help, support, and encouragement around here, so roam around and make yourself at home. Blessings on your writing! 😃

(Just a note. Hope you don't mind a suggestion. I noticed in your blurb something small that needs changing. "a Eastern Warrior" should be "an Eastern Warrior." In case you use that with an agent or wherever. 😉)

49 minutes ago, LauraJo said:

I have built a world where the magic of the Mesopotamian deities is real and the Faithful still follow the Creator.

This reminds me of Moses' interaction with Pharaoh Exodus 7:10-12 where Aaron threw his rod on the ground and it became a snake then the sorcerers of pharaoh did the same thing through their "sacred arts" and I have heard a theory that maybe the 'gods' of mankind (greek, norse, egyptian) were originally Nephilim and did have some power of their own before being killed and their history turned into myths and legends. I have no idea if that is true, but in regards to fantasy writing it doesn't mean it is far-fetched ideas as the only truth we can truly be certain of is that God is all powerful and has no rival or equal. 

The  Old and New testament has many references to God being the true and only God.  When I worked with teens that were mesmerized by video game worlds of magic and movies with supernatural themes, I was able to talk to them through showing them the passages in the bible where magic was shown to be false hope and dangerous.

Thank you for your comment. I am looking forward to conversations with group members.

52 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

Welcome to our writing family, LauraJo. Glad you joined us. You'll find plenty of help, support, and encouragement around here, so roam around and make yourself at home. Blessings on your writing! 😃

(Just a note. Hope you don't mind a suggestion. I noticed in your blurb something small that needs changing. "a Eastern Warrior" should be "an Eastern Warrior." In case you use that with an agent or wherever. 😉)

Thanks for the suggestion. I am terrible at typing on the fly. In fact, I consider myself a terrible writer and a worse typist. That's why I need Grammarly and lots of rewriting. I already have an agent who enjoys working with dyslexics because they expect to rewrite and are thankful for all suggestions. When you're not perfect, you learn to be persistent. (and my view of spelling is if you can't think of more than one way to spell a word, you don't know phonics . It takes intelligence to properly misspell a word)  

• Like 2

Thank you. Please look at my post in Fantasy critiques. I would appreciate feedback. I am writing a story that deals with Christian themes, but is aimed at a general audience and I am nervous about how Christains readers will react to it. I want ihe book to be an way to open up discussions,

I wanted to reach a general audience, not just Christians. In my postings in the Fantasy section , under Drought ,I have the beginning of a  series. The first one introduces Thaddaeus, grieving for his family's death during  a drought. He is angry at the Creator for not answering their prayers. The temple of Murdoc priests have declared the Creator no longer cares or his creation and only their magic can save the land.

I'd appreciate if you would give me your opinion. 

Thank youu. I am so glad I found this site.

1 hour ago, LauraJo said:

I wanted to reach a general audience, not just Christians.

mine started as a book on wild edibles --beyond plants and mushrooms (those little invertebrates -bugs), but took a turn into a fictional survival story.  I've been chastised in that my protagonist doesn't have enough flaws. She hasn't taken her host up on his offer for her to stay in the house or even in the barn if she gets uncomfortable in the woods in her tent or makeshift shelter.  Maybe that would count as stealing a blessing from him? 🙂   If your story turns out the Murdoc priests are wrong, sounds OK.  My character has already addressed the question of 'if we have such a loving God who provides for our needs, how come there's so much starvation in the world?'  Her take, OK, mine, really, but I project a lot, is He DOES provide for us, and quite abundantly.  We've just forgotten how to look for it.