When your writing takes longer than a year...

Maybe a lot of you already know this, but here's something I saw today:

https://middle-earth.xenite.org/how-long-did-it-take-j-r-r-tolkien-to-write-the-lord-of-the-rings/

When you're writing a story with elements of fantasy (or speculative fiction), it's comforting to know that some famous authors took longer than one year to write their great work as well.

Granted, mine is probably not as detailed as Tolkien's, but since it's really helping me to know backgrounds of these characters (in order to write the characters more realistically and not be bland), and it's taking so long to figure out just how I want my fictional world to operate, I feel encouraged in articles like this.

(Really, even if you aren't writing a fantasy or whatnot, don't worry about how long it takes you to write. Don't worry about how long it takes you to write just because some people can write a full novel in less than a year. Your story--and your life--is unique and needn't be compared.)

• Like 9

My work in progress is not fantasy or any where near as complex as Tolkien's, but this 1st draft of 'Ruth' is taking way longer than any of the other novels I have written.  It maybe because as you grow as a writer you might try new things and so the work gets a bit more complex to write.  I think that is what is going on with 'Ruth'.   The story is quite simple - heroine want to find mysterious aunt who can cure her mother' but the twists and turns are not.

I don't think I could write fantasy or sci-fi because of the world building element is so important. May be that is why it took Tolkien so long.😁

• Like 3

We're watching Star Wars right now, and saw IV, (or the original, depending on when you came in), last night. We've watched it often enough that we have most of the lines memories, so we look for new stuff. Last night we went with inconsistencies brought out because the prequel came later.

It gives me another excuse to go with I'm writing all seven books before publishing.

Oh yeah, and a mere 10 years four months since I started, but I'm only on Chapter 8 of Book Two.

Tolkien rushed his, if it only took 12+ years. 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'm into year seven and 11 drafts, but to be totally candid, I really only got serious about this novel in 2018. I expect the sequel will come together much faster as I wrote the outline in September 2019 in Lake Tahoe with our own Susanne Lakin.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, JosiAtara said:

(Really, even if you aren't writing a fantasy or whatnot, don't worry about how long it takes you to write. Don't worry about how long it takes you to write just because some people can write a full novel in less than a year. Your story--and your life--is unique and needn't be compared.)

I have never had anyone tell me that before...Thank you.

• Like 4

The current book I am pitching I wrote in the late 1990s / early 2000s.

It sat for roughly 20 years.

In that time, I debated the value of being an author, and wrestled with the notion of inserting my religious perspective into the narrative.  It exists today because the story - the entire story, not just the first book - is compelling.

Why did I decide to try and get published now?  If there is one thing that is lacking in software, it is legacy.  Today's achievements mean nothing five years forward.  You don't revisit old technology, and there is no wisdom to be gained from it.  There is only one way, and that is forward.

Writing a story, however, is nothing but legacy.

While I have solutions I've written that have lasted a decade or more, they are few and far between.  I want something that lasts.

• Like 1

From the time I wrote the first word of my first novel to the time it was actually published? 22 years.

To be fair, it was idle for a vast majority of that time while I got married and had kids. I'd pull it out every so often and move it forward ever so slowly. It finally got consistent focus a year before it was published because I was unemployed at the time. The final product turned out to be very different from the original (hand written) draft.

These days I'm back to the challenge of finding the time to focus on writing. They still haven't invented what I really need to get these stories out of my head:

17425950_639637709553374_3591698372909464990_n.jpg.6e50aa3e9c24cef1481a2737296cc27c.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Twenty years of constant learning and refining gives us the present version of Leoshine. There have been significant advances this year, but she still isn't published. 

• Like 2

When your writing takes more than a year, it may be that you have a life away from the keyboard/typewriter/legal pad. Children take time. Socializing takes time. And sleeping takes time, to say nothing of have a full-time job or three part-time jobs.

Edited by carolinamtne
  • Like 2