I've been wanting to teach the two to five-year-old class this year for VBS, and I'm about to send an email to one of the people in charge to *try to* convince her that I can be able to teach the class even though I'm not an adult yet. Prayers that she would consider it and that I'd get a positive response would be appreciated! I'd also ask for prayer that if she still declines my offer, I'd be able to accept it well and hopefully find another way to help out.

Thanks!

• Like 6

I'll be praying. BTW, unless your church is absolutely exceptional, they'll probably be having a tough time getting enough volunteers for everything. 'Cuz of that, even if they're a little hesitant to give you the complete role, they'll almost certainly be glad to let you start out by assisting someone else who's done it before. Don't be surprised if that person seems to find a lot of "excuses to step out of the room." No, it's probably not bladder problems; it's giving you little chances to try out the role on your own, to see how you handle it. 

Whenever a leader gets new volunteers, they always want to give them something to do, so they'll stay involved and get trained for more responsible roles.

And kudos for stepping up and volunteering to help. There are never enough of you...

• Like 2

Lord, thy will be done, but also please let there be a VBS for her church.

(Our church canceled again, because of the pandemic. And that's because young people -- aka not always adults either -- are from Ireland, and no one knew if there would be traveling restrictions.)

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Spaulding said:

Lord, thy will be done, but also please let there be a VBS for her church.

There is going to be a VBS at our church this year. It's only for three days instead of the normal five, and it'll be open only to our church's kids/teens and at least one guest per person (I think...).

18 minutes ago, Wes B said:

Don't be surprised if that person seems to find a lot of "excuses to step out of the room." No, it's probably not bladder problems; it's giving you little chances to try out the role on your own, to see how you handle it. 

Yeah, I could see that happening...lol.

18 minutes ago, Wes B said:

Whenever a leader gets new volunteers, they always want to give them something to do, so they'll stay involved and get trained for more responsible roles.

And kudos for stepping up and volunteering to help. There are never enough of you...

What do you mean "never enough of me"? 😆

3 minutes ago, Ky_GirlatHeart said:

What do you mean "never enough of me"? 😆

Ahhh... the complexities of English... Never enough of you-all... you volunteers...

• Thanks 1

Mk, so...

I won't be able to because ever since the couple took over VBS, one of their rules was for only adults to volunteer to teach. But I am fine with that; thank you all for your prayers!

• Like 3
44 minutes ago, Ky_GirlatHeart said:

Uh....I haven't. I kind of don't want to, because I'm not sure of her reaction...

You should ask 🙂 All the churches I've been to have always had younger people helping out as assistants!

6 hours ago, HK1 said:

ou should ask 🙂 All the churches I've been to have always had younger people helping out as assistants!

I could...But it would be so awkward to ask though, because I feel as if I was bothering her.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Ky_GirlatHeart said:

But it would be so awkward to ask though, because I feel as if I was bothering her.

I can understand that... I'm horrible at approaching people and talking to them. But there's a good chance she'd want your help and be glad you asked 🙂

2 minutes ago, HK1 said:

I'm horrible at approaching people and talking to them.

You are?? Somehow, that makes me question you barely but also feel a bit better. Lol!

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Ky_GirlatHeart said:

You are?? Somehow, that makes me question

😄 I get really nervous if there's something I have to talk to someone about. I'm very introverted in person!

Just now, HK1 said:

I get really nervous if there's something I have to talk to someone about. I'm very introverted in person!

Really?? Huh, interesting...

I only get nervous if I make myself go talk to people...I'm a people person, but I also don't really like approaching people sometimes...lol!

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Ky_GirlatHeart said:

I only get nervous if I make myself go talk to people...I'm a people person, but I also don't really like approaching people sometimes...lol!

Hey ... do you have the lady's email so you could get in touch with her that way?

11 hours ago, Ky_GirlatHeart said:

I could...But it would be so awkward to ask though, because I feel as if I was bothering her.

Sometimes, the mere wording of a question can completely change the thought process that goes into answering it.

F,rexample, the following both ask the very same question... almost...

"Would it make your/their job any easier if you/they had an assistant?"

"Would you let me be your/their assistant?"

Both ask if you can assist. Each begins by placing a different focus on who benefits. In the end, both benefit, but in our limited and imperfect reasoning, we immediately assess a proposal with a higher score if it focuses on ourselves. Sad but true.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, HK1 said:

Hey ... do you have the lady's email so you could get in touch with her that way?

On 6/12/2021 at 2:33 PM, Ky_GirlatHeart said:

and I'm about to send an email to one of the people in charge to *try to* convince her

Yep! 😄

1 hour ago, Wes B said:

Both ask if you can assist. Each begins by placing a different focus on who benefits. In the end, both benefit, but in our limited and imperfect reasoning, we immediately assess a proposal with a higher score if it focuses on ourselves. Sad but true.

I'm a bit confused...So the second question is the one not to be asked?

• Like 1

Okay. I have a suggestion. Rather than ask, just offer. Tell this person, "If you should need any help anywhere, please let me know. I'd be happy to help out in any capacity." There you go. You're not bothering her and you won't feel weird asking because you're offering to help. 😃

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, Ky_GirlatHeart said:

I'm a bit confused...So the second question is the one not to be asked?

You will hurt no one by asking the second question. But I don't know the person you're dealing with, and you suggested you might be bothering her by asking. That's unusual, but not impossible.

Now, most people aren't bothered by offers for help. Sometimes a person who's easily overwhelmed may not always recognize one when they hear it. The first question is more likely to make her slow down and think about what you're asking, rather than just wave it aside so she can get on to whatever matters happen to be pressing at the moment.

13 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

Okay. I have a suggestion. Rather than ask, just offer. Tell this person, "If you should need any help anywhere, please let me know. I'd be happy to help out in any capacity." There you go. You're not bothering her and you won't feel weird asking because you're offering to help.

That's a good suggestion; I think I'll need to try it. Thank you!

4 minutes ago, Wes B said:

You will hurt no one by asking the second question. But I don't know the person you're dealing with, and you suggested you might be bothering her by asking. That's unusual, but not impossible.

Now, most people aren't bothered by offers for help. Sometimes a person who's easily overwhelmed may not always recognize one when they hear it. The first question is more likely to make her slow down and think about what you're asking, rather than just wave it aside so she can get on to whatever matters happen to be pressing at the moment.

That's a good way to put it...Thank you for explaining!