Years ago, I started a thread in this section to pray daily for our writing. I think I'll do weekly for now. If you have a prayer to add, write it in this thread. This is the first one for this and next week:

Praying about Learning the Craft

Proverbs 1:7 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Heavenly Father, some days we think we know what we are doing. Some days we even think we know it all, when it comes to writing. Each time we sit down to write, please humble us and open our eyes to see something we might be able to do differently or better.

Please keep us seeking to increase our knowledge and skill in the craft of writing. More importantly, please help us keep seeking to increase our knowledge and understanding of you. Amen.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Dear Lord, you are generous. You long for true and good words to spread and are not out there placing stumbling blocks in our path. Help us to trust that you smile upon our efforts, and may these words of Solomon be true about us and be a source of encouragement that we can lean on:

Go, eat your food with gladness, and drink your wine with a joyful heart, for God has already approved what you do. (Ecclesiastes 9:7, NIV)

• 3 weeks later...

Praying about inspiration

John 16:13 But when the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come.

Dear Heavenly Father, thank you for this world and everything in it. Thank you that inspiration surrounds us. Holy Spirit, please open our eyes to see that inspiration. And please remind us that inspiration is only the beginning of the process of developing a work of writing.

Remind us, Spirit, that what takes us from inspiration to finished work, is the sitting and doing. Please help us sit patiently and do the work necessary to create writing that will glorify you. Amen.

• Like 2

Amen!

Lord, how joyful to be in this community. We are spread far and wide, and we are united in Your Spirit. Our hearts beat together for Your Glory! 

Inspiration is divine - a divine beginning. Development is hard work, and also a joy because each cut, each addition, each remodeling brings us closer to You! Thank you for the patience You pour into us, and the things You give us to do, little by little that add up to glory. Amen, Hallelujah!

• Like 1

Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me--put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you (Philippians 4:8-9).

++

Heavenly Father, with some writing projects, we know exactly what we want to say and how to say it. We clearly see how to organize our words to lead our readers from here to there. Other days we feel stuck in one spot. We spin in circles, not knowing which direction to take, not having ideas to guide our readers onward.

When that happens, Holy Spirit, please clear our minds and open them to what we might not have seen before. Let Paul's words remind us that our brains need not focus so tightly on what we might have previously thought that we are unable to see new directions our work might take.

Through it all, please help us find ways to honor you with our writing. Amen.

Listen and hear my voice;
pay attention and hear what I say.
When a farmer plows for planting, does he plow continually?
Does he keep on breaking up and working the soil?
When he has leveled the surface,
does he not sow caraway and scatter cumin?
Does he not plant wheat in its place,
barley in its plot,
and spelt in its field?
His God instructs him
and teaches him the right way.

Caraway is not threshed with a sledge,
nor is the wheel of a cart rolled over cumin;
caraway is beaten out with a rod,
and cumin with a stick.
Grain must be ground to make bread;
so one does not go on threshing it forever.
The wheels of a threshing cart may be rolled over it,
but one does not use horses to grind grain.
All this also comes from the LORD Almighty,
whose plan is wonderful,
whose wisdom is magnificent.
(Isaiah 28:23-29, NIV)

Dear Lord, help us trust you to train us in the ways of the harvest. Our writing seems often to be nothing but plowing without end. Grant us faith to persevere. Instruct us. Teach us the right way. May we come to the end of threshing, pounding and baking and see bread fit for the tables of kings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1