My first modern-modern vacation

Growing up, Dad took our family for a 10-14 hour drive for our 2-3 week vacation. We'd fish in a lake an hour from Kingston, ON. The three-room cabin had electricity and a sink to do dishes in. The "heater" was the potbelly stove, but it only got cold at night, and Dad stoked the fire before going to sleep. The water for every day needs came from a spigot about 25 feet from the cabin, attached to the women's outhouse. The women's outhouse was the only toilet, and only women were allowed to use it. I was a girl; therefore, I got to do what Dad and my brothers got to do. Use one of three normal outhouses. And the bathtub was the lake.

15 years later, (and they updated to a men's side for that outhouse with a toilet in it), and I introduced hubby to fishing as a vacation choice by taking him to that same lake. (We did try the usual Jersey vacation the year before  -- "down the shore" -- but only when it was over did I discover we both didn't like the shore for the same two reasons -- too much sand and too many people.)

We kept going there until the 1990s, when Dad took his whole family, (and by then that was six kids -- two were married, and one that was married had two kids) on a cruise. My first modern vacation.

Hubby and I have been on a vacation here and there since, but not many. I did get to the point where indoor electricity and plumbing were required. Later, we got all the way up to watching TV on vacation. (Mid 90s before getting that advanced.)

Is there a point to this? Yes. We're on vacation again. This time, it's more about work being done in our house, so we had to leave, but we couldn't go too far, because we have to water the garden. So, we're vacation one last time, in our home town -- Philadelphia. Not only does hubby have the TV on. I'm online with my laptop. If watching TV is a modern vacation. We just modern-moderned. It can't get more modern than this. 😯

Anyone else notice how their vacations have updated over time? I'm interested in younger folks take too, since y'all have different concepts of what up-to-date.

And here's our sweeping city view photo from our BnB. 🤭

IMG_1576.JPG

• Like 2

Huh, that's a nice view from your BnB!

2 minutes ago, Spaulding said:

Anyone else notice how their vacations have updated over time? I'm interested in younger folks take too, since y'all have different concepts of what up-to-date.

Not really...lol. Maybe when I get older they will?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The first vacation we took when I was a kid was to the Florida panhandle in 1953, when I was 9 years old. We all fell in love with the beach and we went there every year thereafter. Fast forward to 1975... I was married and we had three little boys. We lived on Okinawa (Japan), and when hubby got orders back to the states, ta da! he was sent to the Florida panhandle. So, I've lived in vacationland ever since 😃. No need to go anywhere on vacation (but we did go on a Caribbean cruise for our 50th anniversary, and the following year, we checked something off hubby's bucket list and went on a cruise to Alaska).

4 minutes ago, carolinamtne said:

Florida to Alaska. That's an interesting pair of locations. I imagine you had a good time in the north.

It was the last state hubby had not visited, and he wanted to check it off his list. The good thing about going on a cruise to Alaska as opposed to just going there was that I could stay inside the warmth of the ship and look out the huge windows to appreciate the scenery. I don't imagine I would have had a good time if I'd had to brave the cold weather (it was summer, but the few times I ventured out on the deck, I had to wear a parka, LOL). I'm a person who can't endure cold weather... which is why I don't live in the north Georgia mountains of my childhood, which are so dear to my heart. It's too cold there in the winter time.

Sorry about that, but our modern-modern vacation took a step back in time yesterday. I couldn't get on the Internet. 

I also never noticed how much I need the Internet to write. I was stuck with MS Word's synonyms when I got stuck. I like catching the action by expressions as much as verbs.

Tommie Lyn, did you're hubby go to Hawaii for business (stationed in) or pleasure? Hawaii and Alaska seem to be the two states hardest to go to, which is strange since everyone wants to go there, but does anyone want to go to New Jersey, Iowa, or Montana? 😆

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, Spaulding said:

Tommie Lyn, did you're hubby go to Hawaii for business (stationed in) or pleasure? Hawaii and Alaska seem to be the two states hardest to go to, which is strange since everyone wants to go there, but does anyone want to go to New Jersey, Iowa, or Montana? 😆

He was in the US Navy, a career sailor, so yes, I guess you could call his many times in Hawaii "business" trips, LOL. (I wasn't with him on those trips to Hawaii...they were when he was aboard ship. I only touched down in Hawaii on flights to and from Okinawa.) And the funny thing, in our trips around the country, we'd never visited North Dakota. On one trip, we were in South Dakota seeing Mount Rushmore, and the kids wanted to visit the Devil's Tower (they'd seen it in Close Encounters). We couldn't go to both North Dakota and Wyoming, we had to choose. Their contention for skipping North Dakota was, "if you've seen one Dakota, you've seen them all." Hubby acquiesced and we went to Devil's Tower. The year before we went to Alaska, we made a trip specifically to North Dakota so he could check it off his list, and that left Alaska......

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Spaulding said:

does anyone want to go to New Jersey, Iowa, or Montana? 

Montana! See my hand raised!

I once met a young man who claimed his professor had proven that nobody lived in Montana. He asked the rather large class of students (it was one of those lectures) if they knew anyone from Montana. Nobody did. Therefore, nobody lived there. When he went back to school in the fall, he knew someone--me!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
52 minutes ago, carolinamtne said:

Montana has a beauty all its own...like every location. I've been through Montana several times. Hubby and I had some friends who were from Montana -- he was Sioux and she was Blackfeet.

Caravanning in the 70s.

It was not like your RVs you have in the US. This was basically a box hooked up to the car. My three older brothers slept in a tent and I, as the girl, had the spare bed ( ie the converted dinning table area) and my parents slept in the seating area which doubled as a bed. The only thing that separated us in the caravan was a curtain. 

When I married we had the gift of a cottage in Wales and later holidayed in our own static caravan sited on the Northumberland coast. When the children got to teenagers and I was on my own, we spent several holidays abroad with Europe Camp in caravans and tents. Great times we all still treasurer. We also went down under to visit family.

I have been blessed to be able to travel as part of my work including visiting the Holy Land.  As a student in the 80s I spend one summer in the US as camp counselor teaching swimming and had three weeks travel around. 

Will not be going far this year and am looking to do some more travelling in 2022 all being well. Might even the revisit US. I have a friend who keeps say we should do a Thelma and Louise road trip. (Not sure if Brad would show up though☹️)

• Like 2
4 hours ago, suspensewriter said:

I've lived for seven years in Canada, seven years down south, traveled all over the US for my job and visited Mexico.  I'm with Jeff on this one, though.  I'm tired of traveling, I'm going to stay right here in Michigan!

I agree with you... I've traveled enough during my life, have seen every place I want to see, and I'm content right here at home in Florida. But actually, I'm a pilgrim here, looking for a permanent home in heaven..... 

• Like 1
22 hours ago, carolinamtne said:

I once met a young man who claimed his professor had proven that nobody lived in Montana. He asked the rather large class of students (it was one of those lectures) if they knew anyone from Montana. Nobody did. Therefore, nobody lived there. When he went back to school in the fall, he knew someone--me!

I'm from Jersey, always figured if I had to live off the grid, I'd move to Montana, (beautiful and remote, and no one would think a Jersey Gal now living in Philly would move to there), and would like to go to Iowa for two reasons:

1. Dad took me to see the Mississippi River when we lived in IL. (That was it. A four-hour drive to see it, and the whole trip was 8 hours. We didn't even stop for a meal. 🥴 But it was so wide, I couldn't see the other side. Wow.) On the other side of the river was Iowa. I got that close, but never got to that state, so want to.

2. American Picker's store is in that state. 😆

21 hours ago, Tommie Lyn said:

Montana has a beauty all its own...like every location. I've been through Montana several times. Hubby and I had some friends who were from Montana -- he was Sioux and she was Blackfeet.

I consider New Jersey, Maryland, and Ohio all go-thru states. People go through them all the time, but no one ever thinks, "How about we settle here?" (And there are enough jobs and schools in all those states that I get why people live there, but no one just says, "Of all the states in the US, let's move to...!" That kind of go-thru.) But I never thought of Montana as a go-thru state too. Always felt like you have to want to go there.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Tommie Lyn said:

I agree with you... I've traveled enough during my life, have seen every place I want to see, and I'm content right here at home in Florida. But actually, I'm a pilgrim here, looking for a permanent home in heaven..... 

Yup. Only one more place I want to go, and they'll be a New Heaven and Earth when I get there. Home! We'll all meet at our real home.

• Like 1

When my husband and I were seriously talking about getting married, I asked one thing-that we be able to take a vacation every year, if possible. Some years, it wasn't possible. But we tried to see the USA. When our son was small and able, we did camping and visited some of the sights in our state (Indiana). One year we chose to visit attractions around Indianapolis. The pastor I had at the time thought it was neat we used our house as "home base". For several years we went to an amusement park in northern Indiana. We started going to the Florida panhandle,usually over Christmas. We also went to Virginia a few times. Shanandoah park is one of my favorite memories. We watched the deer feed off the trees in the field across the road from the road that led to our cabin. One spring we went to Arizona. We saw the London Bridge. We saw the Four Corners, and drove practically all over the state. trying to see all we could. When our son moved to Kansas, we made a few trips out there. We saw Eisenhower's home and Library on one of those trips.

• Like 2

QS, did you drive to all those other states? 😯

(Stayed at Big Meadows on the Skyline Drive above Shenandoah once, and walked out our cabin to about a dozen deer lying down eat the grass. No idea how far deer travel, but I can imagine a connection between the ones you saw and those deer somewhere in their bloodlines.)

• Like 1

Spaulding: We flew to Arizona. We also flew to Colorado.(Colorado's altitude and my ears did not get along.)  We are now both in our 70s. Traveling has been limited to going to see our son who lives 100 miles south of us.  During 2020 the only place we went out of town was to Indianapolis to the hospital when I had surgery last fall

Our last successful trip was to the Outer Banks of North Carolina. We went to Hershey Pennsylvania a few years ago but that was not for old people.

Edited by quietspirit
  • Like 1