As a Christian

On 6/9/2021 at 9:05 AM, suspensewriter said:

Yes, that's the crux of it- how you portray your faith in a story.

Mine in an MG* urban fantasy, so there was this big problem of portraying God at all in my story. Jesus came to save the people his Father gave him, right? Did he come to save blue gills? Emperor penguins? Lemurs? For that matter, dinosaurs, leviathans, and cave bears?

Most important question, did he come to save stuffed animals?

Those are my characters, and this is for kids, so I don't want to steer them wrong either.

So, I placed God where Humans usually place him. Last on the list when there is no one else to turn to. 🥴

Almost all that could go wrong did go wrong in Book 1. Book 2 is a continuation. (Pretty sure I've covered everything that could go wrong.)

But there are stuffed animals who grew up in Christian families, so just believe God is good and he is love without worrying about what they get out of him. (Salvation.) And they know some of the Bible by heart.

When all of the weight of the last book came crashing down at the beginning of this book. When everyone fell apart into one massive sob session. When they realized that even when they went to save some of their group, they didn't save them all, the 3-year-old teddy bear who started crying first said that he still hurt but felt better.

And a stuffed rabbit said, "Bear one another's burdens."

Some others understood her, but that caused discussions about Galaxians, bears not being oxes, and the plural of ox is oxen, all before the 3-year-old asked, "Who is Jesus?" The answer didn't come for another two chapters, and brought other questions that weren't answered directly in the story.

So, yes, faith and God are in my stories, literally. But, I'll be truthful, I was going to leave it alone until some other writers told me what I have to believe about LBGQ to indoctrinate little kids. And I keep seeing the World's writers preaching their own urban fantasy as truth, so I figure it's time to give kids' guardians (parents, teachers, and church), another choice for what their kids read for fun. The gloves are off, so yes. God is in my story as who he is. Not a character. The sovereign One who loves all of his creation. (And stuffed animals came from the minds of people who were made by God, so they count.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/9/2021 at 2:50 PM, Nicola said:

The wider world is suspicious of people who say they don't doubt. Let's be real and authentic. With that in your mind, put your pen on the paper and see what comes out! 

There is less and less doubt the longer we're Christians. (I've just realized this recently.) I'm using that as part of the story too. Since the stuffies range from months old to 98 years old, the antiques who have believed all along, trust more than the ones created in the mid 20th century, who trust more than 21st century ones, who trust more than the ones just learning. (Not a requirement, but I love the subtle things in stories.)

• Like 3

On 6/10/2021 at 10:44 AM, Johne said:

Wow. This is an old-skool 70s Jesus-people song. Love it. Blast from the past!

And the young'ns are doing it. (Makes me relax a bit more knowing God's work carries on, even after our time.)

• Like 2

How do you work God, Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit into your writings?

Forgive me. Now that I look back over this, I realize my response was too flippant. I answered that it was easy for me. That was all I said. That was not a responsible response. I should have clarified. Yes, it is easy for me, and, yet, it isn't. Many of you may not know that I write devotionals and inspirational stories. My posts for my newsletter must be led by the Spirit for me to post them. Otherwise, it's just me writing something meaningless and posting it out into the vast expanse of Neverneverland. I always pray the Lord will make it evident what I am to write/post. So easy...and yet, so difficult.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

How much of the Android is human? If you brought the human into play a little more, if you gave his/her story and battle to believe/surrender etc, you could bring the human into play at the end. Then you would be asking, "how much human needs to remain for God to save it?" which is not your original question. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/12/2021 at 10:04 AM, Spaulding said:

But, I'll be truthful, I was going to leave it alone until some other writers told me what I have to believe about LBGQ to indoctrinate little kids.

Why do you have to state what you believe about any social issues? Are you addressing global warming? (We have had more days over 100 degrees since the first of June than in all the time I have lived here!) Are you addressing other social issues? 

You are writing fiction from your perspective. Write what you feel led to write. Most people aren't going to worry about salvation for stuffed animals anyway.

Edited by carolinamtne
  • Like 3

On 6/18/2021 at 9:17 PM, suspensewriter said:

What???

Honest. It's a thing now where writers are pushing to have all children's writers, (Picture Book, First Chapter books, Middle Grade books, and Young Adult -- although I think they've already convinced most teens it's true already -- to indoctrinate kids with the world's view on "diversity." So far, middle graders are supposed to have casual contact with the homosexual community and/or have same-sex attraction. Not yet up to the YA standard, but considering having this in kid's stories a decade ago, was the end of a bad joke, no idea what it will be like in another decade. I do know writers specifically targeting that audience already though. I do know I was ridicule for speaking up against it. And I've been warning parents and teachers to read the books before letting their kids read it.

The indoctrination now includes indoctrinating other writers on what to write about too. (What ever became of originally?)

That bad.

• Like 1