Help Please with research query for novel

OK this is one for the legal eagles and law enforcement enthusiasts.

A Chief of the Police needs to locate a former resident of Blossom Hill (fictional town of my story) who vanished several years ago (backstory). They have recently discovered that this person moved to the UK but the officer does not have any details. They have a UK Postal Box address and that is it. The resident who disappeared has no relatives in the UK to contact and has not been in touch with family in BH.

Q. Who would they contact to help them find the person?

Q. If the person was dead or had changed their name how might they find out?

Thanks.

I think they will try to contact the police in UK - Scotland Yard perhaps for tactics to trace someone in the country or contact the Border Force/Home office immigration dept for record of someone who migrated to UK. 

There is a possibility they travelled on a false passport so you may want to take that into account, which means they have to carry out checks in Blossom Hill for change of name.

They can recruit the services of a private investigator in UK.  They can check the deed polls for a change of name.  If they are dead, they can contact the General Register office for deaths, births, and marriages.

I hope this helps.

Thanks Focus.  That was pretty much what I suspected but just wanted some confirmation. What you say allows me some leeway i.e yes they would have travelled on a false passport but that would not necessarily be picked up in Blossom Hill if it was done illegally.

As the person uses a different name in the UK (which the COfTP doesn't know) their death would not be discovered by him.

At least that what I think. 👍 

How about you pop into a private investigator's office for their view on it or a stroll to a police station for a five minute chat with a detective?  They might have had some real life cases that could help with your book.

Someone knows who she is now and where she is--the person in charge of the witness protection program. The catch is to find that person and convince him/her of good intentions. Much easier said than done.

I'm wondering if there would be an accessible change of name form somewhere. That would be too easy for bad guys to trace.

• Like 1
On 6/3/2021 at 2:42 PM, carolinamtne said:

Someone knows who she is now and where she is--the person in charge of the witness protection program. The catch is to find that person and convince him/her of good intentions. Much easier said than done.

She is not in the WP - she disappeared before going in and no one in Blossom HIll knows where she is. Except Hannah who finds out by accident. That is all I can say with giving the plot away.

Thanks Lynn