How Long Does It Take You To Write a 60,000+ word Novel?

How Long Does It Take You To Write a 60,000+ word Novel?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. How Long Does It Take You To Write a 60,000+ word Novel?

• usually write 2,000 words/day so about a month
    • usually write 1,500 words/day so about 45 days
    • usually write 1,000 words/day so about two months
    • Three months
    • Six Months
    • 1 Year
    • Years
    • I hate polls - this one is for the haters

About a month for 50k, but I usually go up to 100k (which means cutting back 😞). I try to NEVER go over three months mainly because that's the time my interest drops off. So I average about 3 novels a year. This year.. . I'm taking a break. XD 

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Sophie said:

About a month for 50k, but I usually go up to 100k (which means cutting back 😞). I try to NEVER go over three months mainly because that's the time my interest drops off. So I average about 3 novels a year. This year.. . I'm taking a break. XD 

That's impressive, Sophie.  Do you think about what you might write during other activities, so that when it is time to sit down and write, the words flow?  For me, I think I need to already have a general idea of an outline of what I am going to write and then can fill in the missing parts when I sit down.  The skeleton is there in my mind and just needs to have the rest of the body fleshed out (pun intended).

• Thanks 1
13 hours ago, Acogah W Swann said:

That's impressive, Sophie.  Do you think about what you might write during other activities, so that when it is time to sit down and write, the words flow?  For me, I think I need to already have a general idea of an outline of what I am going to write and then can fill in the missing parts when I sit down.  The skeleton is there in my mind and just needs to have the rest of the body fleshed out (pun intended).

YES. You pretty much just summarized my process. 😄   I'm thinking about it almost all the time (which is why I like to get the first draft done asap) it can get draining. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Acogah W Swann said:

The skeleton is there in my mind and just needs to have the rest of the body fleshed out (pun intended).

Interesting that you used the word "skeleton." I read something a well-known writer (I think it was James Lee Burke) said about his writing process. He said it's as though the story is buried, like a dinosaur fossil, and writing digs it up, uncovers it. He doesn't know from one "bone" to the next what the story is going to be until he has dug it all up by writing it down and can see the entire thing. That's exactly how my writing process feels to me. I can think about characters, can think about what has already been revealed to me, but I don't see the whole story until I've typed "The End."

• Like 2
On 5/31/2021 at 1:10 PM, Acogah W Swann said:

how long does it take you to write something that you are pleased with?

That is the kicker. This is why I worry that I'm not actually a good writer. I whipped up 70k no problem for NaNoWriMo a few years ago, but haven't even touched that draft yet (as it was a first draft for a sequel to a book that I hadn't even fully finished yet). I struggle to figure out endings, so I have no problem writing a lot, it's making sure it's worth being read. I read back over some of my writing and cringe like crazy. I even enjoy reading it for myself, but something that I'm pleased to let others read?? That takes way more rewriting and research. My husband tells me I overthink things, and maybe that's really it, but I can write a mediocre story probably in a couple months, but it takes more time to write one that I REALLY like. And as a homeschooling mom, with a toddler, I find less and less time to focus on writing. Hence my books taking years.