Jump to content

Am I The Only One Who Does Not Enjoy Reading My Own Work?


Recommended Posts

With the challenge of my visual disability I find it hard to read a lot of text. So reading through my own work a second time is hard and it has often been quite a struggle just to write it and do the minor editing the first time through. It's part of the reason I stopped putting stuff into the critique forum as I didn't think it was fair to ask for critiques when I was unable to read through other people's work and offer critiques or help.

 

A lot of people suggest I listen to text or books with text-to-speech or audio books but ever since I was young I have found that sitting and listening to screen readers or an audio book just puts me to sleep, so I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. The other problem is, once I have written say a chapter, while I might have thought it was good while I was writing it, if I read through it again, I can't tell if it is good especially if there is a lot of dialog.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Amosathar said:

With the challenge of my visual disability I find it hard to read a lot of text. So reading through my own work a second time is hard and it has often been quite a struggle just to write it and do the minor editing the first time through. It's part of the reason I stopped putting stuff into the critique forum as I didn't think it was fair to ask for critiques when I was unable to read through other people's work and offer critiques or help.

 

A lot of people suggest I listen to text or books with text-to-speech or audio books but ever since I was young I have found that sitting and listening to screen readers or an audio book just puts me to sleep, so I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. The other problem is, once I have written say a chapter, while I might have thought it was good while I was writing it, if I read through it again, I can't tell if it is good especially if there is a lot of dialog.

Sorry to hear that Amos, but God never gives us more than we can handle.  He is glorified when His strength shines through our weakness.  My only prayer is that He gets me through whatever hardship He wants me to endure.  Makes your work more impressive given the challenges you face.  Here's an idea.  Have a bunch of us each read and record a couple chapters.  I'm game if I can get a good microphone.  Thinking of doing that anyway. I can see how a robotic voice can be hypnotic inducing sleep.

Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, last night I wrote chapter 1 of a sequel and learned something about myself.  It confirms that I only hate what I've written if I have to read it a zillion times in a row.  I don't mind reading something newly penned because I want to improve it and it is a challenge as I want to create something good while I am at the stage of no one having read it yet.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

With my WIP go through stages.  When drafting the work I re-read the last chapter/scene I wrote, edit and grammar check (Yes really I do), then move on.

 

Most times when I read my own work I can see places where I can improve it. Occasionally I may find a bit which I decide to leave as it is.   With my current WIP I am finding that I am dumping scenes and rewriting them which is not a good sign. i have stuck pretty much to the plot ouline so I don't have the problem of running out of steam or hitting a plot snag but for some reason writing this first draft is proving to be a challenge. I usually just go full steam ahead. This is beginning to feel like hard work which usually come in a later draft.

 

I try not to compare myself with others - even others in this site - simply because if I did I would stop writing and I don't want to stop writing. it is very easy to get in to the mentality that was posted earlier in this thread of thinking what you write is rubbish.  I know I wont win any prizes/awards and I will lucky if I can anything trad published.  On one level that does matter to me but on another it doesn't. What is important is that I write.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Shamrock said:

With my WIP go through stages.  When drafting the work I re-read the last chapter/scene I wrote, edit and grammar check (Yes really I do), then move on.

 

Most times when I read my own work I can see places where I can improve it. Occasionally I may find a bit which I decide to leave as it is.   With my current WIP I am finding that I am dumping scenes and rewriting them which is not a good sign. i have stuck pretty much to the plot ouline so I don't have the problem of running out of steam or hitting a plot snag but for some reason writing this first draft is proving to be a challenge. I usually just go full steam ahead. This is beginning to feel like hard work which usually come in a later draft.

 

I try not to compare myself with others - even others in this site - simply because if I did I would stop writing and I don't want to stop writing. it is very easy to get in to the mentality that was posted earlier in this thread of thinking what you write is rubbish.  I know I wont win any prizes/awards and I will lucky if I can anything trad published.  On one level that does matter to me but on another it doesn't. What is important is that I write.

 

Shamrock, that makes sense.  The creative part is one of the things that I feel I do well, but sometimes I hit a dead end and am staring at a blank wall, like Jack Nicholson in the Shining "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy" (repeat)

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Acogah W Swann said:

The creative part is one of the things that I feel I do well, but sometimes I hit a dead end and am staring at a blank wall, like Jack Nicholson in the Shining "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy" (repeat)

 

We've all been there. I find crafting an outline which answers the questions of the Five Commandments of Story knocks out 95% of those 'blank staring' episodes. It's hard work to study up on all that, but once I did, it's far easier work.

Link to post
Share on other sites

A few of my books I can reread endlessly and enjoy them. The nonfiction ones include stories of how God has helped me overcome depresssion, anxiety, fear of death and other problems. Being reminded of the past goodness of God reminds me of His constant love and strengthens my faith.

 

There are chapters and passages that make me wince. Some are too wordy or make their point weakly. Sometimes I wander so the prose could have been tighter. The fact that I can see that now when I didn't before means I am getting better as a writer, so that's good.

 

I love one of my complete novels (A Most refined Dragon). It was a lot of fun to write. 

 

I have one half-written YAF novel that I long to complete. I have been busy with my non-fiction books for a few years. I can't bear to reread that manuscript because it makes me laugh and cry. It is painful to read because I am afraid I might never finish it, which would be a shame as it is the best fiction I have written so far.

 

My commentary on Job (Job Rises: Thirteen Keys to a Resilient Life) is special to me. I struggled a long time to understand the Book of Job, then God in His mercy opened my eyes and unlocked the book to me. It is a reminder to me that persistance in prayer pays off. I spent an entire calendar year - 1988 - reading only the Wisdom Books of the Bible (Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Job, Psalms, and James) and praying for Wisdom. God answered those prayers thirty years later.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, paulchernoch said:

My commentary on Job (Job Rises: Thirteen Keys to a Resilient Life) is special to me. I struggled a long time to understand the Book of Job, then God in His mercy opened my eyes and unlocked the book to me. It is a reminder to me that persistance in prayer pays off. I spent an entire calendar year - 1988 - reading only the Wisdom Books of the Bible (Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Job, Psalms, and James) and praying for Wisdom. God answered those prayers thirty years later.

 

With friends like Job, who needs enemies!  Even Job's wife says curse God and die.  I think it may be a historical parable as God was spiritually married to Israel and Christ suffered and died as an innocent man.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.