Do Progressive Christians Believe in the Resurrection?

Guest Wesley Southern

5 hours ago, Wesley Southern said:

If God could use literature to affect people’s lives, couldn’t God be in the literal Word?

John 1:1 - In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

John 1:14 The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.

In many discussions with my father who was trained as a minister and can read and understand the New Testament in the Greek language, this is one of the things he has taught me.

There are two words in the Greek used for the 'Word' of God or Scripture

- Logos which I see as the the verbal expression of the mind of God

- Rhema which I see as the personal revelation of the verbal expression of the mind of God

Rhema is when you are reading a verse and it suddenly becomes alive (a revelation from the Holy Spirit) to you, it transforms from Logos into Rhema.

One of the modern uses for the Rhema is electricity

• Like 1
Guest Wesley Southern
1 hour ago, Amosathar said:

John 1:1 - In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

John 1:14 The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.

In many discussions with my father who was trained as a minister and can read and understand the New Testament in the Greek language, this is one of the things he has taught me.

There are two words in the Greek used for the 'Word' of God or Scripture

- Logos which I see as the the verbal expression of the mind of God

- Rhema which I see as the personal revelation of the verbal expression of the mind of God

Rhema is when you are reading a verse and it suddenly becomes alive (a revelation from the Holy Spirit) to you, it transforms from Logos into Rhema.

One of the modern uses for the Rhema is electricity

Well okay then. I guess John was ahead of Jung.

Perfectly coifed hair?  Check.

Beard properly combed, oiled and waxed?  Check.

Wears skinny jeans?  Check.

Has absolutely no moral center.  Check.

Yep.  It's a double-talking hipster doubling as a pastor.

I don't have an issue with people doubting the Bible.  But someone who claims to have authority, dragging people down to Hell with him?  That's a special type of evil.

A CORE pillar of the Faith is the resurrection of Jesus Christ.  How can you sit there and call yourself a Christian when you don't believe in that?

• Like 3
20 hours ago, Tommie Lyn said:

Actually, the Bible was written by God, using humans to transcribe it.

"All Scripture is inspired by God and beneficial for teaching, for rebuke, for correction, for training in righteousness;" -- 2 Timothy 3:16, 

True, however, are you saying God no longer inspires anyone to write? Have you never read a good article, study, testimony, or book about God that wasn't more than an opinion? 🤔

If not, I recommend Francis Schaeffer and Randy Newman. (Yes, that Randy Newman. He is more than a song writer/singer.)

20 hours ago, Wesley Southern said:

Well personally, no because I never really read the Bible until I took a religion class and I read the Gospels for the class assignment, but then I got into Jordan Peterson’s lectures about the Bible (just the Genesis lectures) and I began to think about Jungian synchronicity and Jesus being God.

If God could use literature to affect people’s lives, couldn’t God be in the literal Word?

There might be a subtle difference between ”to live as if God exists” and “God exists”

Have you yet found the problems with religion class, Jordan Peterson, Jung, and Jung's synchronicity? (I never took a Jordan Peterson class, but the World Religions class took me about six years to catch on where the prof taught junk that had to be swept away, and as someone who started my working life in several of the world's version of "social services," even more years asking forgiveness and feeling guilty for the junk I filled in other young people's minds.) 

Also, you're so right in your next post. Huge difference between the Alpha Centuari version of God and the reality of the one and only God. (More junk being swept out of me, and I would love to warn others before the junk fills up. 🥴)

7 hours ago, Jeff Potts said:

Wears skinny jeans?  Check.

I was young in the days of Yuppies, (the days of polo shirts and docksiders), so I've been trying to figure out hipster vs. foodie vs. modern-urban. It's the skinny jeans? Ooohhhhhh! Thank you. 

But most of the hipsters I know are our elders, and the others are just members like me, so don't know the moral ambiguity part still. (All but one of  our elders, including teaching elders, aka pastors, are younger than I am. Reminds me of the time it hit me that I am too old to play professional football. Never could play football well, but I'm also never elder material either.) 😊

Guest Wesley Southern
1 hour ago, Spaulding said:

Have you yet found the problems with religion class, Jordan Peterson, Jung, and Jung's synchronicity? (I never took a Jordan Peterson class, but the World Religions class took me about six years to catch on where the prof taught junk that had to be swept away, and as someone who started my working life in several of the world's version of "social services," even more years asking forgiveness and feeling guilty for the junk I filled in other young people's minds.) 

You’re making a sweeping generalization

2 hours ago, Spaulding said:

True, however, are you saying God no longer inspires anyone to write? Have you never read a good article, study, testimony, or book about God that wasn't more than an opinion? 🤔

I'm saying that God delivered His word to us through His Son and through the apostles. AND it did not rely on them saying they felt inspired. God Himself attested to what they said by accompanying it with signs and miracles. Jesus proved that He was from God by the miracles He performed, and the same kinds of miracles were performed by the apostles. No one who claims today to be inspired by God to write has that same attesting that they did. So, no. I don't believe God inspires anyone to write, because I see no one upon whom God has placed that attesting stamp of approval as He did with Jesus and the apostles.

“Men of Israel, listen to these words: Jesus the Nazarene, a Man attested to you by God with miracles and wonders and signs which God performed through Him in your midst, just as you yourselves know—" -- Acts 2:22

"After it was at first spoken through the Lord, it was confirmed to us by those who heard, God also testifying with them, both by signs and wonders, and by various miracles and by gifts of the Holy Spirit according to His own will." -- Hebrews 2:3-4

God did not ask people to put belief in something that He had not put His stamp of approval upon. The message of the gospel was something new, and He proved that the gospel message was from Him by accompanying that word with signs and miracles. And further, Paul said that anything different from what they had preached was not to be accepted:

"But even if we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to what we have preached to you, he is to be accursed! As we have said before, even now I say again: if anyone is preaching to you a gospel contrary to what you received, he is to be accursed!" -- Galatians 1:8-9

So, people who are claiming to be "inspired by God" to write, are they bringing a new message? If so, it is not to be accepted. If it's not a new message, it is not necessary, since God already has delivered His word through His Son and his apostles.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Spaulding said:

I was young in the days of Yuppies, (the days of polo shirts and docksiders), so I've been trying to figure out hipster vs. foodie vs. modern-urban. It's the skinny jeans? Ooohhhhhh! Thank you. 

Well, it's not just skinny jeans, it's the whole package.

The hipster thing is sort of shabby chic.  It used to be somewhat scruffy, but then the whole "full beard" thing caught on.

I've had by beard since I was 18 years old.  Cripes, I've had my beard longer than my wife.  That being said, I've never once had the desire to put "product" in it.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Spaulding said:

I believe that God still inspires people today through the Holy Spirit, but it is a different kind of inspiration. The writings people are inspired to write today, whether it is a book, a poem or a song, is designed to point people back to God and the Bible.

What sets the Bible apart from any other book or writing is that the Bible IS the Word of God, it is living and it has depth beyond the words written on the page. Jesus is the Word, the embodiment of everything the Bible is and what it stands for. That's why 2 Timothy 3:16 says that all scripture is God-breathed. Just as creation was spoken into being, the Bible carries the same creative ability that can change lives and hearts in miraculous ways.

The Bible written over 1,500+ years by 40 different authors reads as a book written by a single mind, the mind of God. The authors weren't just inspired, they were vessels for God to use to record wisdom, truth, lessons and a love letter from our Heavenly Father so that we come to know Him better in order to draw closer to Him and set us free from the chains that bind us..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/29/2021 at 5:57 PM, lynnmosher said:

It breaks my heart that these "Christians" get pulled into the enemy's ideas and stray so far away from God's Truth. But Scripture tells us just that, “For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers; and they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables.” (2 Tim. 4:3-4 NKJV) We need to pray for them.

The problem with Saint Paul's "sound doctrine" is that it's so confusingly written that everyone can be deceived into interpreting it however they want. That's why we have over 30,000 (yes, that many) Christian sub-groups, all of them coming to different conclusions from reading the same Scripture, and most of them claiming that The Holy Spirit revealed said things to them and that they hold the truth.

2 hours ago, Lucian Hodoboc said:

The problem with Saint Paul's "sound doctrine" is that it's so confusingly written that everyone can be deceived into interpreting it however they want.

I think this has a lot to do with a lack of discipleship. Well at least a lot of churches in Australia focus on people hearing the Gospel and coming to salvation, but Jesus told us to go make disciples, not converts. There is simply not enough follow through and though people are told to read their Bible and pray, that leaves them searching for more spiritual guidance then they can find in a Sunday morning sermon or weekly Bible study. There should be more guidance from the person who helped bring them to the point where they were ready to make a decision. 

Say a child is adopted into the smith family, do the parents leave it to the child to figure out what it means to be part of the Smith family or do the parents immediately take on that responsibility to show the child love, guidance and if need be, discipline, to show the child what it means to be a Smith?

We should do no less as believers. Remembering our roots and where we once came from, we should remember how hard it was when we first believed and accepted the Gospel of Salvation. Yet it seems people think since they figured it out, the new believer will be able to do the same. But they shouldn't have to, if we don't want people slipping, help them until they have a firm foundation to stand on. Most believers, even those who have wrong doctrines, don't have a problem figuring out what they believe, the problem is that most have no idea why they believe those things. 

• Like 3