I heard this is where the Christians hang out

Greetings Brothers & Sisters.  Acogah W Swann is my pen name and an acronym.  A Child Of God Awaiting His White Stone With A New Name, which is a reference to those who overcome in Pergamos Rev 2, but my real name is Paul.  I am a neophyte as I just completed my first Christian novel and hope to learn something from this group that might inspire me to write another, or not.  And because I am a neophyte, I probably broke many literary rules.

This is a short list of the rules I may have broken in writing a Christian Sci-Fi Novel :

1) Was written in first person narration but also omniscient with the same character - can this be done?

2) The protagonist is a rapist, murderer, kills animals, steals and is very evil and the reader will like him

3) Are the subjects in #2 taboo for this genre?

And probably a slew of other ones.  Forgive me if I misuse terminology as I am new.

• Like 2

Guest Wesley Southern
5 minutes ago, Acogah W Swann said:

2) The protagonist is a rapist, murderer, kills animals, steals and is very evil and the reader will like him

I think that might be beyond the pale of what a reader will like...

Hi Emily!

Wesley, the book was written for atheists or agnostics and I needed to create a character who was more wicked than the reader, because when protagonist is born again, the reader has hope too. 

What about #1?  Am I using the terminology wrong?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Acogah W Swann said:

Hi Emily!

Wesley, the book was written for atheists or agnostics and I needed to create a character who was more wicked than the reader, because when protagonist is born again, the reader has hope too. 

Hey! And how are you today?

I'm not sure that's possible, as omniscient must be with multiple characters. I am new, too, though.

Welcome to our writing family, Paul. Glad you joined us. Be sure to have your book professionally edited. And be sure to check with us here before you seek to have it published. There are many scoundrels out there ready to bounce on unsuspecting newbies. You'll find plenty of help, support, and encouragement around here, so roam around and make yourself at home. Blessings on your writing! 😃

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

Welcome to our writing family, Paul. Glad you joined us. Be sure to have your book professionally edited. And be sure to check with us here before you seek to have it published. There are many scoundrels out there ready to bounce on unsuspecting newbies. You'll find plenty of help, support, and encouragement around here, so roam around and make yourself at home. Blessings on your writing! 😃

I have an editor who is a technical writer by trade, has an English degree, and has edited and published other books.  He is nearing the final edit and intends to self publish on LULU.  Don't know if that is a good idea?

I didn't write it for monetary gain and just want some non-believers to read it and perhaps move them closer to Christ.

• Like 1

Guest Wesley Southern
30 minutes ago, Acogah W Swann said:

Eh, that is a really hard sell because what you’re essentially saying is that atheists and agnostics are wicked.

That’s a little insulting to the reader right off the bat. 😞

First person omniscient assumes that the narrator is a mind reader. Is that what you’re going for? First person limited is more standard...

Wikapedia, not the most reliable source, but this is what I was hoing for:

A first-person narrative is a mode of storytelling or a peripheral narrator in which a storyteller recounts events from their own point of view using the first person such as "I", "us", "our" and "ourselves".

Omniscient point of view is presented by a narrator with an overarching perspective, seeing and knowing everything that happens within the world of the story, including what each of the characters is thinking and feeling.

And I'm sure you agree, we are all wicked prior to being born again. 

Hello HK.  

Lynn, I was listening to the video Wes posted in another thread titled "Atheist philosophy professor speaks at a Christian school".  But now will pause that and with some trepidation, will click that link and let the cards fall where they may.

• Like 1

Hello Suspense.

OK Lynn, clicked the link and if you and Suspense are stating that for monetary reasons it's not advantageous, then I really don't care about that.  Didn't write it for the money and have been emailing it to friends and would give it out to anyone for free.  It says that LULU has an extensive distribution which is really the only thing I am seeking.  Does publishing with them prohibit me from giving the pdf version away?  If so, that would be a problem.

I just think it would be pretty awesome to find out (perhaps in Heaven) that some lost souls read the book and it moved them.

No, money was not the reason. You might want to google pros and cons/complaints/etc on Lulu. Compare it then against Draft2Digital. D2D a much more reliable company. We're not ganging up on you. Just trying to offer our years of knowledge to help you. That's one of the main reasons this site exists. 😉

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Wesley Southern said:

Eh, that is a really hard sell because what you’re essentially saying is that atheists and agnostics are wicked.

That’s a little insulting to the reader right off the bat. 😞

I have a mental image of myself walking through a park and finding an atheist, then throwing my book at them and saying "the protagonist is more wicked than you" and laughing as I walk away.  Kidding.

• Like 1

Welcome, it's nice to meet you! 

36 minutes ago, Acogah W Swann said:

And I'm sure you agree, we are all wicked prior to being born again. 

Wesley is not a Christain. So that you know where his comments come from. 🙂 No offense meant @Wesley Southern

• Like 1