What is a socially acceptable android?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. What Age, Gender, appearance and intelligence should a socially acceptable android be?

• 20 - 30
    • 30 - 40
    • Older than 40
    • Younger than 20
    • Male
    • Female
  2. 2. How should it appear?

• Less than normal
    • Average
    • Beautiful
  3. 3. How smart should it be?

• Less than average
    • Average
    • Genius

I voted for male or female, between 20-40, of genius intelligence and average appearance. This is probably unduly influenced by Data, Lore, and Lal from Star Trek, but I was raised by Trekkies, haha.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, PenName said:

This is probably unduly influenced by Data, Lore, and Lal from Star Trek, but I was raised by Trekkies, haha.

Assuming that is from Star Wars and because I have never seen a single Star Wars movie, I will now retreat into my corner.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
22 minutes ago, Ky_GirlatHeart said:

Assuming that is from Star Wars and because I have never seen a single Star Wars movie, I will now retreat into my corner.

Nope, Star Trek! Different series. Both in space.

One is a scientific, philosophical take on space (Star Trek) and one is a fantastical take on space (Star Wars).

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Ky_GirlatHeart said:

*proceeds to go retreat into the corner again*

Lol, it's okay! You can still have perfectly good opinions on androids.

2 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

KyG, if you ever do watch Star Wars, be sure you start with the first one. Don't jump in the middle. 😉

You mean the first one, which is called "Episode 4", because that isn't confusing? 😂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
4 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

KyG, if you ever do watch Star Wars, be sure you start with the first one. Don't jump in the middle.

1 minute ago, PenName said:

You mean the first one, which is called "Episode 4", because that isn't confusing?

Bro, what's wrong widchu?.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
1 hour ago, PenName said:

This is probably unduly influenced by Data, Lore, and Lal from Star Trek, but I was raised by Trekkies, haha.

I was initially thinking about similar attributes of Data. 

• Like 2
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Ky_GirlatHeart said:

Don't worry 🙂, I haven't watched Star Trek or Star Wars either...well maybe an episode of Star Trek when I was class in high school, but that is about it lol.

Edited by Brittany Elizabeth
  • Like 3

In the UK a few years ago there was a series call 'HUMANS' where lifelike androids live alongside real humans. It was sometimes difficult to tell which was which.  The androids were 'built' as all ages, race and male and female.  Although they could emphasizes (when programmed correctly) they could not generate emotion or cry. Nor did they get angry or laugh.

The actors who played the androids spent several weeks learning how to mask their emotions and look emotionless which many said was the exact opposite of what they had to learn at drama school. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, suspensewriter said:

How about an asexual android?

If you recall, in STNG Data tells lieutenant Yar that he is fully functional. 

But then in a later episode he creates his own offspring in a female appearance. So in a manner of speaking and android, by design, is asexual when a single android can create another. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Shamrock said:

The actors who played the androids spent several weeks learning how to mask their emotions and look emotionless which many said was the exact opposite of what they had to learn at drama school. 

This is an interesting bit of information. I recall seeing a couple episodes of the show. I may have to find it and watch it again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't get the questions, because, to me, "socially acceptable" depends on which society. I'll give some examples:

-- 1960s America -- White, suit and jacket or dress, steady corporate job, married, go to church or synagogue every weekend, and 4-8 children.

-- 20th century Alaskans  -- self-reliant, know how to prepare for winter, rarely a reason for suits or dresses, dressed for the outdoors.

-- 21st century Americans  -- anything but Christians. (Not that we're condemned. We're just not socially acceptable anymore.)

-- 1930s Germany -- .... errr, want me to go there?

Your story. Figure out the purpose for the android, and you begin to shape who the android is. Personally, I'm fond of the teddy bear in A.I., who was very socially acceptable, but badly mistreated anyway. 😥

58 minutes ago, Spaulding said:

I don't get the questions, because, to me, "socially acceptable" depends on which society.

While you're right and those are great examples, it was meant as a generic question. I'll try to be more specific in the future. But current answer trends put the character as I had envisioned.

1 hour ago, Spaulding said:

1930s Germany -- .... errr, want me to go there?

No, because you have to separate the fanatics and brain washed from the general public. 

1 hour ago, Spaulding said:

Personally, I'm fond of the teddy bear in A.I., who was very socially acceptable, but badly mistreated anyway. 

Good example of the personality to consider. And I agree.

• Like 1