I'm a 35 Year Veteran of the Martial Arts

26 minutes ago, Alley said:

😆 Now I have that scene from karate kid (I think) in my head, with the "grab the cricket from my hand." And a mental picture of me telling my husband I will throw the cricket at his head. 🤣 (Yes, he is laughing at it too.) 

Well now.  Crickets even tie in here.  I'm baking cricket/jalapeno cookies today!  I should send you some.

• Like 1
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can't leave you guys alone for a minute, can I?

Cookies??  

I didn't take classes but was taught lots of different styles for as long as I can remember by family. They never did any of the spiritual aspects. I personally believe being able to defend yourself,

Posted Images

1 hour ago, carolinamtne said:

I think one key to this story is to define how the character views his/her martial arts. What type of personality? Why does he/she do this? I'm not thinking about the spiritual aspects, but his/her relationship with those around him and with the world in general. Is it power? Control? Self-protection? What do the martial arts mean to him/her?

You know, Carolina, this is similar in content to a question raised by @Wes B.  I have to consider all these things when writing about it.   I'll have to think about that.

1 hour ago, carolinamtne said:

I think one key to this story is to define how the character views his/her martial arts. What type of personality? Why does he/she do this? I'm not thinking about the spiritual aspects, but his/her relationship with those around him and with the world in general. Is it power? Control? Self-protection? What do the martial arts mean to him/her?

You know, Carolina, this is similar in content to a question raised by @Wes B.  I have to consider all these things when writing about it.   I'll have to think about that.

20 hours ago, Wes B said:

I don't think there can ever be enough stories about how the author found Jesus, and how the audience can, too. All the more so if your story is unique, or your kind of story hasn't been told much, or very well. Time to set the record straight.

This makes up the bulwark of my story.

22 hours ago, Wes B said:

I'm interested in your use of the word "conversion" from one to the other. Does that mean you see it as an either/or choice? Perhaps is it a story about finding harmony and balance when the one might distract from the other? (That, or something like it sounds like there's a neat dovetailing of story elements, particularly considering the story premise...)

Perhaps you could tell us a little more about the kind of story you were considering, or the possibilities you were exploring...

It's a good question, @Wes B.   My conversion occurred when I was at the peak of my martial arts.

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, Ky_GirlatHeart said:

EhHh...Depends. I still want to see what they look like. 😆

And here's the cricket/jalapeno with a glimpse at prep, too.  If you don't need many cookies, go with the dozen shot.  If you like hot and sweet, go with the third shot. 

DSCN2679A.jpg

DSCN2685.JPG

DSCN2686.JPG

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Paul but not THE said:

Here's the Japanese beetle cookies.

I didn't know Japanese beetles were edible... ewwwwwww... 😄 

• Haha 1

Okay, the second cookies look good....If I hadn't seen that those first cookies were Japanese beetle cookies, I would've claimed those as delicious, too...

But hey! I won't judge them until I try them. (Which, to be fair, will probably be never, but who knows?? I might end up making a friend who makes stuff as bizarre as this! 😆)

• Like 1

like karate? my brother did that for a few years, made it to black belt... then his teacher, a pastor, felt the Lord calling him to California. So assuming karate counts, then I would say that it doesn’t damage your faith. it’s a really cool things, actually! 

• Thanks 1

It mostly depends on you... An elder at my church was a high level black belt, but gave it up because he felt it brought out an ungodly anger in him when he competed. On the other hand, a friend and one of the subjects of my last book teaches martial arts and uses it as an outreach ministry with at-risk youth. 

I took just a little Aikido, and I remember the instructor talking about a bunch of eastern spiritual mumbo jumbo, then saying, "That's what the man who developed it said, but it's really just physics - momentum and leverage. If you don't want to bow at the mat or any of the rest of it, you don't have to."

18 hours ago, Chris Brown said:

I took just a little Aikido, and I remember the instructor talking about a bunch of eastern spiritual mumbo jumbo, then saying, "That's what the man who developed it said, but it's really just physics - momentum and leverage. If you don't want to bow at the mat or any of the rest of it, you don't have to."

That's a wise man, Chris.