I'm a 35 Year Veteran of the Martial Arts

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can't leave you guys alone for a minute, can I?

Cookies??  

I didn't take classes but was taught lots of different styles for as long as I can remember by family. They never did any of the spiritual aspects. I personally believe being able to defend yourself,

Posted Images

In my limited experience of martial arts, took 2 years of training with my son when he was young, and being a Christian, it did not affect my beliefs. I practiced to become more fit and to provide a tiny bit of confidence to me as the protector of my family.

• Thanks 1

Well I've never done martial arts and know very little about it. But based on what little I do know, it's supposed to about focus on one's self and (?)Spiritual(?) Cohesiveness. If I'm right I say dive in the both feet. If I'm wrong disregard my foolish thoughts. 

• Thanks 1

I have no idea what kind of martial arts they do, but I have two brothers and nephews, who are seriously into it. (It has a lot to do with kicking with all sides of their feet, and twirling a long stick all sorts of ways without bruising or castrating themselves. I've seen what they do, just feel stupid asking the dumb "what is that?") The older brother has quite a few black belts and just built a house with a dojo in it. They are also somewhere between agnostic and atheist, and I've been praying for them longer than you've been doing martial arts.

So for entirely selfish reasons, (or is it), man! Not only "do it," but I would love you to do it in such a way, their ears would perk up. (They will not hear about God.) Or... can you write it in a way that nonbelievers would pick it up without knowing where it goes before they are hooked hard enough they keep reading when they figure it out?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't think there can ever be enough stories about how the author found Jesus, and how the audience can, too. All the more so if your story is unique, or your kind of story hasn't been told much, or very well. Time to set the record straight.

I'm interested in your use of the word "conversion" from one to the other. Does that mean you see it as an either/or choice? Perhaps is it a story about finding harmony and balance when the one might distract from the other? (That, or something like it sounds like there's a neat dovetailing of story elements, particularly considering the story premise...)

Perhaps you could tell us a little more about the kind of story you were considering, or the possibilities you were exploring...

• Thanks 1
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Paul but not THE said:

I've been into marital arts for just over 40 years.

What style?  You know, I miscalculated.  I've been a practitioner for 45 years!  Boy, am I getting old!

Edited by suspensewriter
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, zx1ninja said:

Well I've never done martial arts and know very little about it. But based on what little I do know, it's supposed to about focus on one's self and (?)Spiritual(?) Cohesiveness. If I'm right I say dive in the both feet. If I'm wrong disregard my foolish thoughts

You're right, Z.  

Just my random uninformed thoughts, but when I was looking for self-defense classes for our children about five years ago, we chose Krav Maga because, apart from boxing and wrestling, it seemed to be the only martial art with no spiritual aspect.

I believe that the world was a very different place 30-40 years ago when Western society was, broadly speaking, less openly antagonistic towards the Judeo-Christian worldview. Nowadays, parents need to be hypervigilant of the influences and teachers under which they let their children sit.

I'm sure it's possible to be into Eastern-based martial arts and still be a strong Christian, but I'm glad I had another option. And, for the record, I did taekwondo for a while when I was little.

• Thanks 1

Personally, I wouldn't do it because of its roots in the Eastern world and the spiritual components behind it. If someone else wanted to do it, that's their choice. They're more than welcome to go for it.

• Thanks 1
Posted (edited)

I didn't take classes but was taught lots of different styles for as long as I can remember by family. They never did any of the spiritual aspects. I personally believe being able to defend yourself, and others is important. 

That will be one aspect of Christianity you will have to address. I live in an Amish Mennonite area, and they do not believe in violence of any form, including self-defense. (At least the ones in this area.) I could not disagree with this more! I'm not saying we should be violent people, but not even being able to stop an assault is just wrong! 

Edited by Alley
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This whole thread has got my weird old head spinning off in another direction.  Sometimes martial and marital arts are too closely related.  Couples fighting way too often.  Some give little verbal jabs --even in jest, these can add up, like little martial jabs...  BUT, I can't write on this now because I gotta bake cookies! --Japanese beetle and cricket/jalapeno 😃.  Then there's the meal worm rice krispy treats, but they're easy.  I got nine public library programs coming up in June.  THAT starts NEXT WEEK!

And yeah, too often, martial arts has a subtle spiritual aspect like yoga.  Beware!

Photo-cartoon ideas are bubbling about in my head now...

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Alley said:

I didn't take classes but was taught lots of different styles for as long as I can remember by family. They never did any of the spiritual aspects. I personally believe being able to defend yourself, and others is important. 

That's the way my martial art is too, no spiritual aspects.  Just self-defense.

10 hours ago, Alley said:

I live in an Amish Mennonite area, and they do not believe in violence of any form, including self-defense.

Wow!  I never thought of that before, Alley.  What an odd concept, still people believe what they believe.  That will take a while for me to wrap my head around, though.

• Like 1

I think one key to this story is to define how the character views his/her martial arts. What type of personality? Why does he/she do this? I'm not thinking about the spiritual aspects, but his/her relationship with those around him and with the world in general. Is it power? Control? Self-protection? What do the martial arts mean to him/her?

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Paul but not THE said:

martial and marital arts are too closely related.  Couples fighting way too often.  Some give little verbal jabs --even in jest, these can add up, like little martial jabs... 

😆 Now I have that scene from karate kid (I think) in my head, with the "grab the cricket from my hand." And a mental picture of me telling my husband I will throw the cricket at his head. 🤣 (Yes, he is laughing at it too.) 

• Like 1