You’ll never see it coming... :P

Eyyo it’s your boy Wesley 🙃

I was wondering what twists you remember in all the short stories you’ve ever read. Like the final few paragraphs that caused you to reevaluate the entire story. Anything modern is a plus as I can only think of these oldies:

1. Harrison Bergeron - Kurt Vonnegut

2. The Tell-Tale Heart - Edgar Allan Poe

3. Charles - Shirley Jackson

Tl;dr rec me some modern short stories with twists :3

My hands-down, bestest, favoritist story of all time is The Caine Mutiny. You see every single character differently at the end than what you see when they're first introduced.

For the MC, it's almost a second "coming of age," as he transforms from naïve new officer into a strong, capable leader. He's already grown up, but he does an astonishing amount of "adult growing" as the story progresses.

Everyone else in the story has a depth that goes way beyond first impressions, and often not in the best ways. Someone you initially respect may end up something of a fraud. We end up seeing the clear and obvious villain as some we feel deep sympathy for, though he remains the villain. And while we get a clear inkling through the story that people are a lot more complicated than we like to think, the character who unmasks the whole thing in a brilliant diatribe near the end, even verbally tears himself to shreds. A joyous victory is turned on its head.

It combines all kinds of story types, and does it very successfully, in spite of the fact that it seems nearly impossible. It has all the elements of a coming of age story, it's a psychological drama, it contains a tender love story, it's a story about a group reacting under a threat, and later on moves into a gripping courtroom drama. It somehow does them all beautifully. 

Yet curiously, though it's set aboard a destroyer during WW II, it has almost no elements of a war story, though the existence of the war plays an important part in the story development. All in all, whatever you're expecting, it's the exact opposite...

• Like 1

I don't always read the instructions before starting... you did ask for a short story...

I'll still avoid following the instructions, by recommending a couple of authors that can continue to surprise you over and over, but do so in kinda opposite ways. O Henry wrote dozens & dozens & dozens of stories, each taking a sudden turn right at the end, doing so with unexpected story elements.

If you can handle the peculiar style of the Russian novel, Anton Chekov wrote a bunch of short stories in this vein that make sudden turns on character elements. That is, the surprise happens, not in what happens in the story, but how we suddenly see the characters. The sensation has been described as "like waking from a dream," and I'll copy that, 'cuz I cant find a description of my own that's anywhere near as good. His characters for the most part are not likeable people, but we find in the last sentence or so that we dislike them in a wholly different way. Not everyone's cuppa tea, but it's an amazing thing to see done at all.

I'm not gonna suggest individual stories (I'm still not following directions, I guess...) because these authors deserve to be viewed in a little more depth, if at all, but google will give you shortcuts if you insist; I just won't participate... 🙂 

7 minutes ago, Wes B said:

I don't always read the instructions before starting... you did ask for a short story...

I'll still avoid following the instructions, by recommending a couple of authors that can continue to surprise you over and over, but do so in kinda opposite ways. O Henry wrote dozens & dozens & dozens of stories, each taking a sudden turn right at the end, doing so with unexpected story elements.

If you can handle the peculiar style of the Russian novel, Anton Chekov wrote a bunch of short stories in this vein that make sudden turns on character elements. That is, the surprise happens, not in what happens in the story, but how we suddenly see the characters. The sensation has been described as "like waking from a dream," and I'll copy that, 'cuz I cant find a description of my own that's anywhere near as good. His characters for the most part are not likeable people, but we find in the last sentence or so that we dislike them in a wholly different way. Not everyone's cuppa tea, but it's an amazing thing to see done at all.

I'm not gonna suggest individual stories (I'm still not following directions, I guess...) because these authors deserve to be viewed in a little more depth, if at all, but google will give you shortcuts if you insist; I just won't participate... 🙂 

I’ll have to follow the directions for you.

O Henry’s Twenty Years Later

1 hour ago, Wesley Southern said:

Eyyo it’s your boy Wesley 🙃

I was wondering what twists you remember in all the short stories you’ve ever read. Like the final few paragraphs that caused you to reevaluate the entire story. Anything modern is a plus as I can only think of these oldies:

1. Harrison Bergeron - Kurt Vonnegut

2. The Tell-Tale Heart - Edgar Allan Poe

3. Charles - Shirley Jackson

Tl;dr rec me some modern short stories with twists :3

It wasn't in a book but OH MAN KNIVES OUT HAD A SICK INSANE AMAZING PLOT. IT WAS MAD I TELL YOU, SIMPLY INCREDIBLE!!!! 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, ThePerilousPen said:

You do you really do it's a murder mystery that's sort of like clue (the characters are similar and it's set in a mansion) 

No one beats me at Clue. I find out who killed Mr. Boddy every time.