...to be on a complete writing streak for a good while and then look over at the time and dislike the fact that twenty minutes of precious time has passed? The time was used well, yes, but does it bother anyone that time goes by way too fast? By bother, I mean be very, very conscientious of time and of using it wisely so as not to squander it even though you squander it sometimes.

Or is it just me? 🙂

• Like 3
Just now, Tommie Lyn said:

If you think time goes by fast now, wait until you're 76.... it sprouts wings...

Ah, so your age has been revealed. 😄

I know time goes fast. Dawned on me back in November or December of last year. 😕

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, Ky_GirlatHeart said:

Or is it just me?

I don't think it's just you. I'm always wondering where the week has gone 😄

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, Tommie Lyn said:

Actually, I mentioned it in my Meets and Greets thread 😃

You did??

*proceeds to look at the Meet and Greets forum* Ohhh, you did. Well, then.

5 minutes ago, HK1 said:

I don't think it's just you. I'm always wondering where the week has gone

*internally cries*

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
Posted (edited)

23 minutes ago, HK1 said:

I don't think it's just you. I'm always wondering where the week has gone 😄

This seems to be a universal illusion, that every year seems to be shorter than the one before.  Like every person feels like he or she is rushing toward the end.  But the clocks aren't moving any faster.

Edited by William D'Andrea
  • Like 3
7 minutes ago, William D'Andrea said:

This seems to be a universal illusion, that every year seems to be shorter than the one before.  Like every person feels like he or she is rushing toward the end.  But the clocks aren't moving any faster.

I wouldn't say for certain that it feels as if I'm rushing towards the end. It's more of "Life goes by very fast and time is very, very precious."

I'd hope there's at least one other teen out there who's the same way lol.

• Like 3
Posted (edited)

It really depends on what I'm doing and how productive I am during that time. 😂😂😂  (Like if I was writing for 20 minutes and only got 1 word in, I'd be disappointed and surprised at how fast the time went by, while if I got 1000 in, I'd be more surprised at how much I wrote than the amount of time elapsed lol.)

Edited by Just_Me_
  • Like 2
2 minutes ago, Just_Me_ said:

It really depends on what I'm doing and how productive I am during that time. 😂😂😂  (Like if I was writing for 20 minutes and only got 1 word in, I'd be disappointed and surprised at how fast the time went by, while if I got 1000 in, I'd be more surprised at how much I wrote than the amount of time elapsed lol.)

So you've only gotten one word in at a rate of 20 minutes before??

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Ky_GirlatHeart said:

So you've only gotten one word in at a rate of 20 minutes before??

Well no 😂 I was just using that as an example (unless I'm editing and delete/rewrite a bunch or something).

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Just_Me_ said:

Well no 😂 I was just using that as an example (unless I'm editing and delete/rewrite a bunch or something).

I was getting ready to pose some questions there...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
14 hours ago, Ky_GirlatHeart said:

The time was used well, yes, but does it bother anyone that time goes by way too fast? By bother, I mean be very, very conscientious of time and of using it wisely so as not to squander it even though you squander it sometimes.

If you used the time well but the time merely seems to have gone by fast, you may have experienced what's called The Flow State (it's a thing... you can google it...) This is not a bad thing; in fact people doing creative work make efforts to make it happen. Even hard work seems effortless; you lose track of time; you end up with a lot of work done.

You can't flip it on like a switch, but you can often find circumstances where it's more likely to happen. (For me, there's a 30-45 minute window when I first get up in the morning, that's really prime...)

The thing about time is not our perception of how quickly it's passed, but what we traded that time for, once it's over. The perception part is merely an illusion. When we do exactly the same things, in exactly the same ways, on every single day, they all blur together, and there's often no recollection they even happened.

When we do different things or do things differently, it creates distinct memories, and that can alter our perception of how quickly time passed. But again, this is just playing with the illusion. Whatever I accomplish today, I will have traded a day of my life for it. There have been billionaires on their deathbeds who'd have traded all they have for that one day, but it's not for sale at any price. So we're each working with something precious. (Sorry to go all philosophical like that...)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
30 minutes ago, Wes B said:

If you used the time well but the time merely seems to have gone by fast, you may have experienced what's called The Flow State (it's a thing... you can google it...) This is not a bad thing; in fact people doing creative work make efforts to make it happen. Even hard work seems effortless; you lose track of time; you end up with a lot of work done.

That happens to me.  I work from home. Somedays - especially ones where I am up earlier than normal and at my desks _ i can shift a huge amount of work by lunchtime. Which means if the afternoon is free of meetings/pastoral visits I walk the dog and do some writing if I want too or go for a swim (if I can). 

I have learnt not to feel guilty about taking time out from ' paid work' as I know during busy periods I can be working around the clock so the times when things are less busy is time for me to use constructively for my own well-being. This probably explains why I am one of the few clergy who have never had to take time off for stress since being ordinand. A recent report in the UK stated that most clergy do at some point in their ministry. So I intend to carry on as I am. 

It seems to work.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It seems to be a lot about when we're able to concentrate deeply, and let ourselves be swept away by the thing. I'm usually awake an hour or two before my wife, and the world is quiet, still, and ideal for immersing myself into something without interruption.

It's my easiest time for learning new things, and again, it happens almost effortlessly, for a while. For those first 30-90 minutes, it's really easy. After that, i can still keep on learning, but it takes the same amount of effort that it would at most any other time of the day.

Some things disturb the flow for me; if I take notes, it shortens the useful length of time, so I'll usually go back and make notes later. One really curious disruptor is having to listen to someone speaking to me about something unrelated to what I'm doing. So, if my wife comes in and starts talking about plans for the day, it collapses the flow, but it kinda works in the opposite way. It's actually harder to parse audible speech for that short time.

It's not a problem with understanding; I can study a foreign language effortlessly in that time, and that includes listening to audible recordings, either in English, the target language, or a mix. But there's something about just parsing unrelated, random sentences that are audible (reading is fine) that disrupts.

What can i say, our brains are unpredictable, and I suspect that mine is positively whacky...