Hi, Sarah... I don't have this model, but it looks very nice, especially for the price. Having a display built into the tablet would be especially helpful for someone just starting out, and the prices seem to be coming down nicely. However...

Depending on the size of your current computer display, you might have other options. A big display somewhere, is a really helpful & useful thing. I use a much simpler Wacom without the built in display. It's initially a little awkward looking at a display while drawing elsewhere on a tablet, but you get over that quickly. For me, the breakthrough came when I realized the tablet didn't have to stay parallel with the edge of the table it was on. Once I found the angle where I produced a horizontal line on the screen at the same time that my arm felt like I was drawing a horizontal line on the tablet, I picked up the coordination quickly.

My point is, if your budget is firmly set at the cost of the tablet you've asked about, you might instead consider splitting the cost between a large display and a simpler, non-display tablet. It's a big decision and you'll be living with it for a while, so if you can actually get access to such a setup where you can work 6-8 hours with it (broken up into 4 or 5 shorter sessions...), you may get a better feel for what's specifically right for you. What works comfortably for me might be the totally wrong choice for you.

One wonderful thing about all Wacom tablets is the attention they put into the feel of the thing. The tablet surface and pen material carefully mimic the feel in your hand of a pencil being pulled across a sheet of paper. That's a completely different feel than the kind of stylus you'd use against the glass screen of a tablet computer like an iPad. I think that makes a huge difference in the quality of your drawing.

One great thing about drawing digitally is that instead of erasing a poorly placed line, you hit CTRL-Z to delete it. You just keep redrawing the line until you get it exactly where you want it. I'm guessin' that with the feel of the Wacom, you'll get each line right in fewer tries, and hit CTRL-Z a lot less often...

• Thanks 2
17 hours ago, Ky_GirlatHeart said:
18 hours ago, suspensewriter said:

Oh yes, I forgot all about him!

200w.webp?cid=ecf05e47ghsnt484ypjvz95mj0

I don't know about everyone else, but this appears on my screen as a white box with a tiny question mark in the middle.

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, carolinamtne said:

I don't know about everyone else, but this appears on my screen as a white box with a tiny question mark in the middle.

It's a GIF that says, "how dare you!" 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, carolinamtne said:

It's possible your browser doesn't display animated .gif files, or that you might need to turn something on in your browser settings. If you have another web browser on your computer, try using that one...

• Like 1
On 5/13/2021 at 6:27 PM, Wes B said:

Depending on the size of your current computer display, you might have other options. A big display somewhere, is a really helpful & useful thing. I use a much simpler Wacom without the built in display. It's initially a little awkward looking at a display while drawing elsewhere on a tablet, but you get over that quickly. For me, the breakthrough came when I realized the tablet didn't have to stay parallel with the edge of the table it was on. Once I found the angle where I produced a horizontal line on the screen at the same time that my arm felt like I was drawing a horizontal line on the tablet, I picked up the coordination quickly.

What do you mean?

My computer is a 15  inch HP. Would that work?

Well, you may find you want a lot of display area. Your display will work, but you might find things a bit crowded. The animation software will place controls all around the edges of the display, and the image space you're drawing/animating may be kinda small. There's likely a hotkey to expand that space and hide the controls, but there are enough hotkeys already in the workflow that it's so much faster and more efficient to eliminate that. You may not mind this, or maybe you might.

For whatever animation software you're using, check out a lot of YouTube tutorials, specifically made by different people. You'll see examples of vids made on a small screen (small animation area, large percentage of space taken up by controls) and others with a much larger percentage of space for your actual animation. These will give you a feel for the kind of space you'll have to work with, and what kind of space you could potentially have with a larger display.

People can certainly do decent work on laptops, but it will slow you down. That's not a problem for everybody, so my original comment had lots of conditionals, e.g., "you might have other options". You can check 'em out if you like. There's no harm if you find your current display to be enough. If you have the resources to also buy a bigger display later if you change your mind, there's no problem there either.

But if your budget is strictly the $400 you might spend on the tablet, I was just suggesting you check all the ways that amount might be spent. That tablet might be exactly right for you, or perhaps splitting the cost into two items might be a better choice. I can't make that decision for you, but I can point out that the decision is available.

• Thanks 1