Listening to songs that embody your characters

17 hours ago, Amosathar said:

@Alley I don't usually listen while writing, but sometimes I will stop and listen to the song or part of it just to get me into the right headspace.

You seem to understand what I'm trying to say. Those three songs are really good and the type of songs I am talking about, that they convey their own story or message.

I do like to listen o some instrumental music while writing. 

I do love a good storytelling song. 😄 Although as of this moment I have never heard a song and thought it would make a good character. It's more of an after-the-fact kind of thing. 

8 minutes ago, ThePerilousPen said:

oooh go on with how? like you disapprove? 

That one is way off-topic and will likely cause some clashes. You might want to get @Amosathar approval since it is his thread and make sure it stays respectful, so the thread doesn't get closed. 🙂

Just now, Alley said:

That one is way off-topic and will likely cause some clashes. You might want to get @Amosathar approval since it is his thread and make sure it stays respectful, so the thread doesn't get closed.

Agreed...We've had a bunch of topics locked recently, and one of them involved yours truly! 😄😄

• Thanks 1
Posted (edited)

I realize that not everyone feels or relates to music the way that I do and my overall intention with this thread was to offer an idea about helping an author to get into the personality/mentality or consciousness of a character for those who either see the stories they write like a movie in their head like I do or music inspires their writing in some way.

I guess in some way it also gives people a partial glimpse into how my mind works.

Edited by Amosathar
  • Like 2
4 minutes ago, Amosathar said:

guess in some way it also gives people a partial glimpse into how my mind works.

😄 Mine too. 

Hey, do you do the same with pictures? 

yes that is a nice picture, I can see how that would inspire a nomadic story. My first impression is she is either waiting for a loved one to come over the horizon because someone said they were coming or there are unwanted people approaching and she is concerned for what that means for the tribe.

• Like 1

*Sorry. Hijacking for a moment. That picture reminds me of the one I used (that I mentioned in prompts and that we might start a new thread) when I started a prompt thread ages ago. I wrote a devotional from this one...

image.png.8b8fb850bedfe5c428236b0d6f4c75fe.png

Okay. Hijacking over*

• Thanks 2
39 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

Sorry. Hijacking for a moment. That picture reminds me of the one I used (that I mentioned in prompts and that we might start a new thread) when I started a prompt thread ages ago. I wrote a devotional from this one...

I like that one!!! 

@Amosathar hey! You're still alive!

I love setting up playlists for books/characters. It's great for getting in the mood of the book, and then I put on a playlist of acoustic guitar covers of video games to actually write.

I think I'll go work on finding some songs for a character now!

Interesting topic. I hadn't really given it a thought. We've discussed what music we listen to to get us into the spirit of writing, but that actually embodies a character?

This is the song that I came up with for my MC:

Talmidim by ForToday