What is the purpose of literature?

The purpose of literature  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Why are you writing your current writing project?

• To record a memory
    • To create sympathetic characters and interesting plots
    • To capture abstract thoughts with language
    • For pleasure
    • To share pain
    • To reflect on the human condition

7 hours ago, Wesley Southern said:

Do you consider what you write literary? 😁

There is a long and bitter enmity between Literary fiction and Genre fiction. 

(Which is to say, 'heh, no.') 😉

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Johne said:

There is a long and bitter enmity between Literary fiction and Genre fiction. 

Hehe. I certainly have qualms about the distinction as currently defined. What really makes something literary fiction other than, well, it's serious and character-based and not in space or a fantastical world? And why does this give the story an automatic stamp of "refinement"? At least that's my take. 🙃

• Like 1

I think it's primarily a preference thing. I see Literary as just another genre. I prefer more speculative elements, but don't look down on Literary fiction (as much as Literary fiction fans seem to look down on genre fiction, heh).

• Like 1

I thought the word "Literature" meant top quality writing, regardless of genre.

When I was going to school, the term was used to describe what was recommended reading for Students.  I went to high school during the early1960's.  Among the recommended books were "To Kill a Mockingbird", "The Diary of Ann Frank", "1984".  Also, since it was the Centennial of the Civil War, in my 11th Grade English Class, we spent an entire half semester, studying the historic non-fiction book "A Stillness at Appomattox".

There were also the Classics, like many works by Dickens.  I remember reading "A Tale of Two Cities", and handing in a book report.  I don't remember the grade I received.

Also in my 12th Grade English Class, we studied Shakespeare.  While seated at our desks, we students read the texts, while our teacher played recordings.  I remember we read "MacBeth", while listening the the soundtrack of the movie with Orson Wells.  Then we read "Hamlet", while the soundtrack for the movie with John Barrymore was played. 

Back then I was hoping to become a writer.  I thought these works I've just mentioned were examples of the quality I should aim for in my own writings.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Ky_GirlatHeart said:

So, you're asking if my writing has characteristics of humane learning/literature? (Borrowed that definition from Merriam Webster.)

Hm, I suppose I’m asking if your writing is about everyday people doing everyday things, dealing with everyday problems and eventually coming to realizations or personal transformations, e.g. a family struggles with cancer, a man struggles with his own mortality, a couple struggles with alcoholism. 😁

On 5/13/2021 at 8:03 PM, William D'Andrea said:

I thought the word "Literature" meant top quality writing, regardless of genre.

Literature is a type of entertainment, reading for pleasure. But 'Literary' is a genre which eschews the tropes common to more escapist genres like Science Fiction and Fantasy. 'Literary' books fancy themselves as higher-minded, more serious works, but it really comes down to preference.

6 minutes ago, Johne said:

Literature is a type of entertainment, reading for pleasure. But 'Literary' is a genre which eschews the tropes common to more escapist genres like Science Fiction and Fantasy. 'Literary' books fancy themselves as higher-minded, more serious works, but it really comes down to preference.

😄 When did you become a dictionary and know what my question was going to be before I even asked it?

Thanks for the overview. Still, a bit of a struggle to make them different in my mind, but that's my dyslexia talking there. They are so similar with similar meanings it is hard to remember which is which. 

• Haha 1
On 5/13/2021 at 7:14 PM, PenName said:

refinement

😆 I now picture it in a robe and sipping wine in one of those high-backed chairs. 

I was going to find a GIF of that but was distracted and found a cuter one. Not that it even remotely applies to my last comment. 😁 

kEEeUAy4mxH2SnClEk.gif.381d4e20079589f6884fd724fa0991fa.gif

• Haha 2
Posted (edited)
On 5/13/2021 at 3:00 AM, Wesley Southern said:

Do you consider what you write literary? 😁

🤔 I haven't given it a ton of thought before now. If it is just for the pure pleasure to read my story and not have a hidden lesson inside the story, then no. I write about hard topics like battered women's syndrome and human trafficking. I hope that writing it in a fiction story will make it easier for people to read while they learn more about the topic, the victims thought process, how to spot the signs, how to help, etc. It's my hope that the people going through or who have been through these things will find hope, comfort, and an understanding that there is life, love, and peace to be found after such horrible events. I want to help people through my stories. Yes, I do want to have amazing stories, but I want to help people far more. Yes, I agree honing my craft to write better stories will help get these messages across. I only mean that my drive behind why I write these stories is what is most important to me, and not the desire to have everyone love my stories. (I hope that made sense. I need sleep... Or caffeine.) 

Edited by Alley
  • Like 2
12 hours ago, Wesley Southern said:

Hm, I suppose I’m asking if your writing is about everyday people doing everyday things, dealing with everyday problems and eventually coming to realizations or personal transformations, e.g. a family struggles with cancer, a man struggles with his own mortality, a couple struggles with alcoholism. 

Oh, okay. It depends then for me.