Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Question... I'm rewriting a chapter to change the POV, so the second main character (duel POV) shows up quicker in the book. I've been struggling over it for a while now, and I think the reason is that it doesn't make sense to my brain to pick up at the exact point I stopped on the other POV. 

 

They are in the middle of a battle, and one person shoots a bad guy with an arrow and sees them fall. I would like to skirt back to the other POV where to him, the arrow comes out of nowhere, and he has no idea who shot it. It would take all of a few sentences, but I feel it helps clarify the next action of the second POV. 

 

So my question is, do we feel that's too much of an overlap? Thoughts? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Not necessarily.   You can have alternating scenes with different POVs. The key thing is to make  it clear whose in each one.

 

POV per chapter is easier though and less confusing for the reader. 

 

I can't see why you could  ot do what you purpose. 

Edited by Shamrock
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Shamrock said:

I can't see why you could  ot do what you purpose

Thanks! 

 

4 minutes ago, Shamrock said:

The key thing is to make  it clear whose in each one.

And just when you think you have done wonderfully, your beta reader says they don't know. 😒 That's what I get for thinking how wonderful I was doing. 😄 😋 

 

Yes, this is super important to make sure you are clear who's POV it is every time you change scenes, chapters, or POV. Also, I have seen one that changed mid-chapter but had a special symbol every POV change, and it was a great cue also. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you have the switch take place at a very obvious place, so the reader recognizes that you are replaying the scene from the other POV?

 

Something I have learned in this place is that rules are rules, but don't be bound by them if they don't work for you.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Shamrock said:

Thinking on this what about switching just as your character aims the arrow and then swtich to the other character who is shot and falls??

🤔 Maybe. 

 

38 minutes ago, carolinamtne said:

Can you have the switch take place at a very obvious place, so the reader recognizes that you are replaying the scene from the other POV?

Yes, it is done right at the chapter break. 

 

2 hours ago, suspensewriter said:

Yep.  You can have alternating POV's per scene.  It's done all the time.

Yes, to the dual POV, I'm concerned about an overlapping couple of sentences. Not even sure I need a full paragraph but will it distract the reader and throw them out of the story? 🤔

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shamrock said:

Thinking on this what about switching just as your character aims the arrow and then swtich to the other character who is shot and falls??

 

I was thinking about that myself.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Alley said:

Yes, to the dual POV, I'm concerned about an overlapping couple of sentences. Not even sure I need a full paragraph but will it distract the reader and throw them out of the story? 🤔

I don't think the overlap is a problem. If you want to distinguish the two moments a little more, perhaps have them each phrased in a way that the other character would not phrase it. Or, have each character notice/care about something in the moment that is in their personality to notice/care about, and not the other's.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, PenName said:

I don't think the overlap is a problem. If you want to distinguish the two moments a little more, perhaps have them each phrased in a way that the other character would not phrase it. Or, have each character notice/care about something in the moment that is in their personality to notice/care about, and not the other's.

Yeah, it's the one you beta read for. 😬 Yes, still working on it. 

 

Thanks! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Alley said:

Yeah, it's the one you beta read for.

I figured based on your description! I think the overlap works well for those two especially, given the story. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.