Word Perfect

Posted (edited)

I used Word Perfect years ago, but I cannot speak to the current version. It was a very powerful word processor, and I only gave it up because my job used MS Word. At that time, Word would not read a Word Perfect file, so when my job gave me Word for my personal computer, I (unwillingly) switched.

You might try (Apache) Open Office. It opens Word files, but its default saving is to its own file, so each time you save a document, you have to tell is to use .doc or .docx. It is similar to Word, so not a big learning curve.

Edited by carolinamtne
  • Like 2

I use LibreOffice, and formerly OpenOffice. Both are free open source software.

Over ten years ago, the billion-dollar computer company I worked for decided to stop paying insane license fees for Microsoft Office. So they made a bold decision to go with OpenOffice. I never looked back since.

I've written and published (eBook and print books) five novels on OpenOffice. No issues. Just as good as MS Office, and you can open and work with .doc files. You just can't use MS Word to access OpenOffice documents, because, well, how can I tactfully put this? Bill Gates can be a real jerk when it comes to competition.

• Haha 2

This could be a serious problem. If the files just won't load and the program gives you something like a media error, then the storage media you're using may be deteriorating, and you'll lose more stuff over time. Best to copy absolutely everything you can to some other place. If you can't read from the hard drive on your computer, it may be time to start backing up everything (Don't Wait!!!).

OTOH, if when you say you can't open old files, you mean Word is griping that the file is stored in an old format, there will be ways to get the format converted.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sarah Daffy said:

Have any of you used/use Word Perfect? Is it as good as/better than Word?

I did back in the day. It was far better than Word, but never had the market penetration needed to be worth anything outside of law or government offices. It's not worth devoting the time to learn now, I'm afraid. You're better off with something like Google Docs than WP. But I agree with Wes - it may be time to copy everything over to a fresh HD and see if that solves your issues.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sarah Daffy said:

Word Perfect

Is this still out there???

2 hours ago, Accord64 said:

OpenOffice

I've used this, unless it's changed a lot it works just like MSWord and opens/saves the same kind files and more. For what it's worth, If I needed a free option I'd go with open office. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jeff Potts said:

used to call it "Word Defect" when I used it.  🙂

WP 5.2 was the classic blue and white DOS GUI. WP 6 for Windows brought in the now-familiar Windows GUI, and it was spectacular. I loved revealing the underlying code so I could easily fix problems with nested formatting. I never had the problems with numbered lists that I've had with Word, but the software never had the adoption that Word enjoyed.

• Like 3