Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Ky_GirlatHeart said:

@Sophie Do you hopefully have it saved anywhere else?? Flash drive, email??

Yes, have an older copy from over a year ago on my email THANKFULLY but still may be missing something if I made changes to it since then.

Edited by Sophie
  • Like 2
1 minute ago, lynnmosher said:

I'm so sorry, Sophie. Hoping the one saved in your emails works okay. 🥴

Yes thanks so much for your help. 😊

• Like 2

Sophie... I'm really glad to hear you had at least some form of the old document & didn't lose absolutely everything. There's something you might consider for the future. Neither I, nor anyone I know ever did this 'til we lost something important, then it suddenly made a lot of sense.

It can be useful to get into the habit of making regular backups of all your work. There are simple ways that don't eat up much time. While some use a cloud backup service, many (myself included) manage it manually, just to keep all our work "in house," so to speak.

It's easy to get a USB backup drive, or even just a thumb drive, and make regular copies of your work folders. Over time, I've just put all of my work under one top-level folder, and my work for different programs or projects go in folders inside it. That way, if I want to copy everything, I just start a copy of the one main folder, and forget it 'till it's done. (I'll go browse Christian Writers or something, so's I don't go making changes to files being copied...)

I then append the date to the name of the copied folder, and I know which copy is the latest. Sometimes, I just make partial copies including just the stuff I've worked on recently, but regularly, a full copy gets made. Lots of old copies get erased, eventually.

Those of us who've lost something really important get especially paranoid about backups. This includes me. I make two backup copies. Ironically, since I've started backing up, I've never needed them, but I just know that the minute I stop...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Posted (edited)

@Wes B, thanks!  It was an old file I was attempting to save the most recent version of and that's when I found it was corrupted. I had thought it transferred over with the others a few weeks ago when I was saving stuff but bec it was corrupted it wasn't saved. Thankfully I have the older version and the others are ok. 😌

Edited by Sophie
  • Like 1

And I am really really really glad that you had that option. Hope you didn't lose too much between the two versions. One reason I make two backup copies is that I don't even trust the copying process to be completely reliable.

I got my paranoia many decades ago, when I worked for this International Computer Giant who shall remain nameless. They'd just recently introduced the first of their line of personal computers. We had them in abundance, and kept all our work on these 5 1/4 inch floppy disks.  If that doesn't ring a bell, it's just a step above what you might see on an episode of The Flintstones...

They were very fragile; even being brought close to a magnet could wipe them out. I once lost days of work that I had to redo. This was pretty much all guys working with other guys; we rib one another loudly, mirthfully, and mercilessly (and without remorse.) We were a bunch of young guys. I mean, a bunch of nerdy young guys. I mean a bunch of immature, nerdy, young guys. Everyone, one by one, got greeted, joyously, into the "club" of people who would now forever back up everything they would ever do.

We joked about that, but it's exactly the lesson we all learned the hard way...

• Like 3

Actually, I think I still have a few hanging around, but they probably wouldn't read now, even if I dug out the moth-balled computer that used them. (No, I don't hoard everything, but there are a few things ...)

• Like 1
13 hours ago, suspensewriter said:

Wow!  That surely was a long time ago, @Wes B!  5 1/4 floppies???!!!!

2 hours ago, carolinamtne said:

Actually, I think I still have a few hanging around, but they probably wouldn't read now, even if I dug out the moth-balled computer that used them. (No, I don't hoard everything, but there are a few things ...)

I've recently come across a bunch of them, myself. Been doing a lot of sorting and cleaning out (I think I have one of the most "interesting" attics, ever...) Recently, I came across the old slide rule I used in doing math problems in high school and college. Also, an old 12 or 15 row Chinese abacus, that I used, 'cuz the slide rules couldn't do addition & subtraction. (I told you I had an interesting attic...)

• Haha 4