Moral dilemma in Of Mice and Men

Did George do the right thing at the end of Of Mice and Men?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. “Lennie said, ‘I thought you was mad at me, George.’ ” ‘No,’ said George. ‘No, Lennie, I ain’t mad. I never been mad, and I ain’ now. That’s a thing I want ya to know.′ ” ― John Steinbeck, Of Mice and Men

• Yes, there was no other way
    • No, and you’re sick for suggesting George had to do that to Lennie
    • I like turtles

I remember reading this in middle school, and I loved how it forced people to really get inside someone else head to see what they were thinking. Whether you agree with the choice he made or not, it made people realize that other people looked at the world differently than they did, which was a big eye-opener for a bunch of kids! 

Did George do the right thing at the end of Of Mice and Men?  

That's the brilliant thing about novels, isn't it? It provokes us to thought and makes us grapple with thorny issues. 

34 minutes ago, Johne said:

That's the brilliant thing about novels, isn't it? It provokes us to thought and makes us grapple with thorny issues. 

I 100% agree! 

• Like 1

I remember a bugs bunny episode that went something like this, "I will love him and hold him and hug him and squeeze him George. And I'll rub his fur the wrong way when he does a bad thing."

The simplicity of some minds are worth remembering. 

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Ky_GirlatHeart said:

never even heard of this book! Maybe I should see if my library has it?

Only if you like tearjerkers. 

12 minutes ago, zx1ninja said:

Very good acting in the movie. Been a while since I've seen it though. 

They had a movie? Where was that when I was trying to get out of reading it? 😆

Yes, I love reading (now), but I didn't back then, I was struggling to read at the same rate as the other kids, and it made me hate reading at the time. Dyslexia at its fullest! It took finding a genre I loved to kick start my desire to read. 

1 minute ago, Ky_GirlatHeart said:

Put a pro-life film in front of me, and I'll be crying 20 seconds into the video.

Not to give away anything, but when he said moral dilemma, it really is!! 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Wesley Southern said:

I don't know if Ice Bear would like it, but @ThePerilousPen would have no problem with the heavy themes and swearing 

Oh, well then, I might have to rethink that...

48 minutes ago, ThePerilousPen said:

t took me at least a minute to realize that Ice Bear is a name for @Ky_GirlatHeart(it is, right?) XD 

Yep! He gave me that name after I called him Mr. Wesley Southern. XD I have to blink sometimes to make sure he's referring to me and not the actual cartoon character.

26 minutes ago, Wesley Southern said:

anyway, I got mad vibes of Ice Bear's insane level of goodness after those pictures of my favourite desserts

😆 You guys had screen-licking desserts without me? What celebration did I miss? 

• Haha 2
30 minutes ago, Wesley Southern said:

eh? 🤨

anyway, I got mad vibes of Ice Bear's insane level of goodness after those pictures of my favourite desserts

It's part of a Bible verse; don't recall which one though.

2 minutes ago, Alley said:

You guys had screen-licking desserts without me? What celebration did I miss? 

That sounds weird when you put it that way...but yes, I guess. You should've seen how much sugar Stormfast had to suffer. 😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
4 minutes ago, Ky_GirlatHeart said:

Romans 3:23 

For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,

Or 

Ecclesiastes 7:20 

Surely there is not a righteous man on earth who does good and never sins.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
23 minutes ago, Ky_GirlatHeart said:

That sounds weird when you put it that way...but yes, I guess. You should've seen how much sugar Stormfast had to suffer. 😜

Do you read the Bible a lot?

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Alley said:

They had a movie? Where was that when I was trying to get out of reading it? 😆

They had several movies.  The two most notable are the original from 1939, starring Burgess Meredith and Lon Chaney, Jr, and the 1992 remake with Gary Sinise and John Malkovich.  @Wesley Southernis, of course, referring to the latter.  I've seen both, and they are both well-made films.  But you probably could have guessed I'm partial to the 1939 version.  There was no swearing, under the Production Code. Plus I like Burgess Meredith.  Although I will say I preferred the ending of the remake, in which George hopped a train and got out of town.  

As for my thoughts on the story itself, (SPOILERS AHEAD!!) of course George did the right thing.  Lenny was a mentally irresponsible person with murderous tendencies, and the only other option would have been to have him locked up.  Death was the kinder way to go.  He could do no more harm to others, nor to himself.  Besides, he murdered a puppy.  That set me against him from the get-go.

Edited by Grey_Skies
2 minutes ago, Grey_Skies said:

Lenny was a mentally irresponsible person with murderous tendencies, and the only other option would have been to have him locked up.  Death was the kinder way to go.  He could do no more harm to others, nor to himself.  Besides, he murdered a puppy.  That set me against him from the get-go.

He “murdered” a puppy.

image.png.2fc9ea22c0b30adbec1c97b2e48f9ed9.png

• Confused 1