That's interesting. In the UK Mother's Day is on Mothering Sunday - usually celebrated on the 5th Sunday of Lent and is linked to the practice dating back to medieval times of people going home to their villages to worship in their 'mother church'. Then the Victorian hijacked (as they did with Valentine's Day) and made it an occasion for people to thank their mothers.

Thankfully, I realised the 'Mother Sunday' my friend reminded me about yesterday was not the same as the UK one - and so, did not have to rewrite my sermon for today.😂

• Like 1

Thank you mom for loving me. For the warm hugs making me feel safe.

The gentle kiss on my forehead or cheek when I was sick or hurt.

Your firm patience when I didn't want to do my chores. 

For teaching my right from wrong and making sure I followed basic morals.

Thank you for making sure I had everything I needed, even when you went without. 

For your counsel to help me understand what I  did wrong or why my relationship was in trouble.

Thank you for helping when my children, your grandchildren were ill.

Thank you for always being there for me no matter what I needed and always doing all you could.

It's been a long time, since 2006 that I've been able to say thank you. Since I've been able to say I love you. There's not a day that I don't miss you mom. 

Thank you God for providing me the best mother You could make for me. Tell her I love her and Happy Mother's Day.

• Like 1

For more than 50 years, before I moved to my present location, I was a member of the First Presbyterian Church of Greenlawn, New York, which is on Long Island.  On the day before Mothers Day, they always held a Mother-Daughter Breakfast, for women members of the Congregation.  I was among the male members who helped set things up, very early on those Saturday mornings.  I helped set up the tables and chairs, and set the tables.

The cooking is done by a professional chef, who is a member of the Congregation, and volunteers his services.  He's also an executive chef, who knows how to assign work; so we didn't have a lot of people standing around, not sure what to do.

At the first Breakfast that I helped set up, there was a large pile of roses.  The chef told me to hand one rose to each mother there.  The ladies were pleased, and so was I.

Before I started helping out at the Breakfasts, I always felt uncomfortable on Mothers Day, because my own mother was gone.  Once I began handing out the roses, I felt much better.

I knew that some of the ladies who attended the Breakfasts were widows, whose children were grown, married and moved away, with families of there own.  They were all truly appreciative when I handed the roses to them, and so was I.  What I think is that maybe, at that moment, what one or more of those ladies needed most of all, was for a gentleman to hand her a rose.

I felt very good being that gentleman.  

• Like 2
On 5/9/2021 at 10:36 AM, lynnmosher said:

Hope your weather is better than ours. It's a really yucky day

Because of the yucky weather, our son chose not to come home for Mother's Day. He's coming next weekend. I did get out and go to church. After I got home, I could not get warm. The rain was that cold.

I trust all of your women had a wonderful Mother's Day.