What was the last book you read that broke your heart?

Guest Wesley Southern

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This one.  It's set in rural Pennsylvania, in autumn of 1943, and it's one of my favorites.  It  had literally the furthest thing from a happy ending, and yet the ending was absolutely fitting and sat

Does a slight argument with a friend count? 😛

I for one would be very surprised, yes. But also given the old movies you watch with cynical charcacters, I can see how you would have examples of it XD 

Posted Images

I can't say a book has ever broken my heart. That's not to say I don't feel emotion when I read. I've gotten frustrated, sad, or happy plenty of times thanks to stories.

Guest Wesley Southern
1 hour ago, HK1 said:

I can't say a book has ever broken my heart. That's not to say I don't feel emotion when I read. I've gotten frustrated, sad, or happy plenty of times thanks to stories.

how about the last one that made you cry?

Guest Wesley Southern
1 hour ago, Ky_GirlatHeart said:

Does a slight argument with a friend count? 😛

only if it wrecked your friendship afterward

Posted (edited)

A book that made me cry was actually one I wrote.   Please don't get the wrong idea. 

The book titled "A Gatored Community" was written by myself and a co-author, a woman named Andalib Marx.  The reason I cried is that about ten months after we'd completed the novel, she was killed in a traffic accident.

xxxxxxxx

About a month earlier, she'd posted an article in her own blog, which she titled "I Would Do Anything for Love".
   Here is a copy of my reply, which is my tribute to Andalib:
======================
   You'd do anything for love? Well how about this?
======================
   The orchestra begins and he sings to Andalib.

"You'd be so easy to love
                                            So easy to idolize all others above
                                                   So worth the yearning for
                                    So swell to keep all the home fires burning for.
                                              "We'd be so grand at the game
                                   So carefree together that it does seem a shame
                                         That you can't see your future with me
                                           'Cause you'd be oh so easy to love."
                                                (Written by Cole Porter, 1936)
     Now the orchestra plays the rich elegant arrangement; while he and Andalib dance across the floor, with graceful elegance.
     Applause! Applause! Applause!
           =================== 
     Andalib's Reply:
     "That's so sweet MrB!!!"
     ==================
      You've just read my tribute to her; our wonderful friend who we have lost.
     ================

Here's looking at you Andalib Marx. We'll always have Shellfish Shoals.
      William D'Andrea

Edited by William D'Andrea
39 minutes ago, Wesley Southern said:

how about the last one that made you cry?

Hmm... The Edge of Belonging by Amanda Cox might've made me get a little choked up.

Guest Wesley Southern
2 minutes ago, HK1 said:

Hmm... The Edge of Belonging by Amanda Cox might've made me get a little choked up.

might've? 😑

This one.  It's set in rural Pennsylvania, in autumn of 1943, and it's one of my favorites.  It  had literally the furthest thing from a happy ending, and yet the ending was absolutely fitting and satisfying.  But it tore me up.

61vkXDZmbJL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
Guest Wesley Southern
32 minutes ago, Grey_Skies said:

This one.  It's set in rural Pennsylvania, in autumn of 1943, and it's one of my favorites.  It  had literally the furthest thing from a happy ending, and yet the ending was absolutely fitting and satisfying.  But it tore me up.

61vkXDZmbJL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

isn't this a children's book? 😛

2 hours ago, Wesley Southern said:

only if it wrecked your friendship afterward

I really don't know...I sent an apology message (if you will) to this person, but no response. My dad said to give it time for them to respond.

Patience is a wonderful virtue...

Guest Wesley Southern
1 minute ago, Ky_GirlatHeart said:

I really don't know...I sent an apology message (if you will) to this person, but no response. My dad said to give it time for them to respond.

Patience is a wonderful virtue...

what was this book?!

Just now, Wesley Southern said:

what was this book?!

It's not a book. XD I meant that what I was told broke my heart, not really a book. That's why I asked if that counts. I guess everyone's life is a book haha.

Guest Wesley Southern
Just now, Ky_GirlatHeart said:

It's not a book. XD I meant that what I was told broke my heart, not really a book. That's why I asked if that counts. I guess everyone's life is a book haha.

oh, I thought you meant you had an argument about a book

1 minute ago, Wesley Southern said:

oh, I thought you meant you had an argument about a book

No, it was about another issue. 🙃 I don't know if I'd call it an argument though...Thankfully, the fuse for that argument was blown out, but I don't know the aftermath of this situation.

Guest Wesley Southern
1 minute ago, Ky_GirlatHeart said:

No, it was about another issue. 🙃 I don't know if I'd call it an argument though...Thankfully, the fuse for that argument was blown out, but I don't know the aftermath of this situation.

friendships can be fragile. It takes a big heart to offer an apology

Guest Wesley Southern
28 minutes ago, ThePerilousPen said:

OH BUT I JUST READ THE GIVER AND CAN I JUST SAY HOW AMAZING IT IS

AND HOW SAD

AND CREEPY 

man that book is old school. I even read the sequel Gathering Blue, that was trash.

Jonah: do you love me?

mom and dad: precision of language, jonah

4 hours ago, William D'Andrea said:

A book that made me cry was actually one I wrote. 

Same with me. My first novel, High on a Mountain, made me cry. I cried as I did the research, I cried as I wrote it, and I cried when I read it. Between Parts One and Two, I included the last three stanzas from the poem about the battle of Culloden, by Tobias Smollet, "The Tears of Scotland," because its message fit the story so well. And that poem always makes me cry, too.😢
https://www.bartleby.com/270/3/8.html

9 hours ago, Wesley Southern said:

wazzat abt?

Savannah loses her twin sister and finds herself struggling to find her worth again. But what if she didn’t have any worth in the first place? What if there’s nothing to find? 

So basically she tries to find it and ends up getting hurt in a lot of ways 😢😩

I recently beta-read a book for one of our members here. Definitely brought tears to my eyes...

And reading "The Poisonwood Bible" was tragic and heart-wrenching on many levels.