Jump to content

Help your kids be good writers!


Recommended Posts

There are probably many reasons why I love writing and (ugh I hate to say this because it sounds like bragging) why I am slightly talented in it.  But one of the reason I think I am is because I've been homeschooled since second grade.  Ever since I've started homeschooling, I've adored writing, I've written alllllll the time, and it's become my thing.  I've noticed that a lot of homeschooling kids tend to enjoy writing.  Not only that, but they can actually write.  Like, kids these days DO NOT know grammar, how to create an interesting story, etc.  That's not to say all homeschoolers can write, because some can't.  But I think it definitely helps, and if you have a kid who you'd love to see excel in writing, I've got something for you!

 

My mother (who has fostered my love for writing and homeschooled me) has a really great homeschool blog.  She is running a course on how to homeschool, and I think it would be super helpful to all of y'all (who have kids, of course, and even those of you who are already homeschooling!).  It's free, and it's really awesome!  Even though I don't have kids (I'm only fifteen 😂), I'm taking it, and it's really interesting!  Take a look at it!

https://courses.maestramom.com/go

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ky_GirlatHeart said:

I can't count the times I've corrected my friends' spelling and grammar, even if they're homeschoolers. *facepalm*

Me too!  But I do think their grammar and their quality of writing is better than public schoolers'.  That's my humble opinion, however!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AJCat29 said:

Me too!  But I do think their grammar and their quality of writing is better than public schoolers'.  That's my humble opinion, however!

I will back you up on that; and if somebody wants to disagree, I'll chase them with my broom.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Grammar and homeschooling...  My spell checker isn't intuitive.  It always wants me to make homeschool and derivatives hyphenated or two words.  Ha!  What does IT know!?! (...and my daughter, accused by some as a grammar nazi, hates multiple punctuation marks)

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Paul but not THE said:

My spell checker isn't intuitive.  It always wants me to make homeschool and derivatives hyphenated or two words.  Ha!  What does IT know!?!

Ah, same!  It's so frustrating.

1 hour ago, Paul but not THE said:

(...and my daughter, accused by some as a grammar nazi, hates multiple punctuation marks)

That is hilarious!!!  (oops, I just did multiple punctuation marks. . . )

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, suspensewriter said:

That's an interesting concept.  I must say I'd never thought about that.

I hadn't much either, until my mom brought it up!

Link to post
Share on other sites

It actually depends upon the parents doing the homeschooling and the program they use. Some homeschooled students finish their schooling with a GED, which is recognized by most colleges and employers. Some of them have an excellent background and earned their GED in short order. Others ... well, not so.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/5/2021 at 4:12 PM, AJCat29 said:

ven though I don't have kids (I'm only fifteen 😂), I'm taking it, and it's really interesting! 

I like how you're the kind of person that plans things with kids even though you're far from marriage and having children. I was like that when I was a tween. Lol..

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Ky_GirlatHeart said:

I like how you're the kind of person that plans things with kids even though you're far from marriage and having children. I was like that when I was a tween. Lol..

Oh lol, I'm not planning anything.  I really don't want to have kids, and I'm not interested in marriage.  But it's an interesting course!  😂  Waaaait, I thought you were a teen!  How old are you, if you mind me asking?

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, carolinamtne said:

It actually depends upon the parents doing the homeschooling and the program they use. Some homeschooled students finish their schooling with a GED, which is recognized by most colleges and employers. Some of them have an excellent background and earned their GED in short order. Others ... well, not so.

That's true.  I hadn't thought of that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AJCat29 said:

Oh lol, I'm not planning anything.  I really don't want to have kids, and I'm not interested in marriage.  But it's an interesting course!  😂  Waaaait, I thought you were a teen!  How old are you, if you mind me asking?

I am a teen. Lol. I'm around the ages of 12-16, if you'd like to take a pick. 😉

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.