I Have Respect for You Mothers. Literally.

Fun story that just ended barely two minutes ago...

My mom and I took my babysitting charge (we'll call him Andrew) to the library and then to the playground, where we were there until around 1:45 P.M. My mom let us (yes, I played with him too...haha) go down this particular slide three times before we had to go. Andrew decided that he wanted to go down a fourth time. I told him no and that we needed to leave. He kept begging for one more time down the slide.

I counted to three, then finally walked off (old trick in the book). He started bawling his eyes out; so I picked him up and carried him part of the way. He complained that his leg hurt; so I put him down and we continued walking. When we got to a bridge, he declared that he wanted to throw something in the water so that he could let it float. I told him no because he hadn't listened.

He cried again.

For the ten minutes, I was walking alongside a three year old who was crying and begging me not to tell his parents about his behavior. I mean begging--clutching my hand and crying loud enough for someone close by to think we were kidnapping him. This went on until we finally reached our home, where his dad was waiting for us. After maybe a few minutes of crying some more, he finally calmed down.

I have major respect for all of you mothers, even though it's not Mother's Day. 😉

• Like 8
36 minutes ago, Wesley Southern said:

If you let him go down a fourth time, he’ll want a fifth, sixth, seventh, and eighth time too

Exactly! Kids think they're smart....and they are. 😜

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, Wesley Southern said:

Is that a little self-aggrandizing? 🙃

I actually had to look up the word since I didn't know what you meant...Haha. Who exactly are you referring to as being self-aggrandizing?

27 minutes ago, Wesley Southern said:

For compensation...

I would think some babysitters (maybe very few) babysit without expecting compensation. When I was first starting out, I babysat a six year old whose mother didn't have the money to pay me. Only babysat about three or possibly four times for the girl since they moved in the summer.

58 minutes ago, Wesley Southern said:

Is that a little self-aggrandizing? 

4 minutes ago, Wesley Southern said:

You, of course!

Wait, I'm so confused...How am I getting an increase of power/wealth??

17 minutes ago, Ky_GirlatHeart said:

Wait, I'm so confused...How am I getting an increase of power/wealth??

🙃 Means the remark is facetious

which means I think you’re including yourself in this:

18 hours ago, Ky_GirlatHeart said:

Thus boosting your intelligence

🙃

Wesley is making a really back-handed compliment. (As I said in another thread, 'comedy is hard.')

1 hour ago, Wesley Southern said:
20 hours ago, Johne said:

I have respect for babysitters too - they have to put up with other people's kids. Big props.

For compensation...

I haven't always worked for IBM. Way, way, WAY back in the day, I was a babysitter for a hot minute. It was a little money for non-stop attention. Some people have a real knack for this. I didn't. I kept the kids safe and the house for burning down, but I was overmatched by the kids and it was like herding flaming feral rabid cats while keeping spinning plates aloft and learning Mandarin Chinese. It was one of the very hardest jobs I've ever done, and the buck and a half an hour I got (back in the day) wasn't worth the effort I put in. I later took a job working on a farm from sun-up to sun-down for $2 / hour and meals because, while it was physically hard, it was mentally relaxing. Babysitting other people's kids is torment and I'd rather do literally anything else. 😉

So, yeah, big props. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
45 minutes ago, Johne said:

Wesley is making a really back-handed compliment. (As I said in another thread, 'comedy is hard.')

I haven't always worked for IBM. Way, way, WAY back in the day, I was a babysitter for a hot minute. It was a little money for non-stop attention. Some people have a real knack for this. I didn't. I kept the kids safe and the house for burning down, but I was overmatched by the kids and it was like herding flaming feral rabid cats while keeping spinning plates aloft and learning Mandarin Chinese. It was one of the very hardest jobs I've ever done, and the buck and a half an hour I got (back in the day) wasn't worth the effort I put in. I later took a job working on a farm from sun-up to sun-down for $2 / hour and meals because, while it was physically hard, it was mentally relaxing. Babysitting other people's kids is torment and I'd rather do literally anything else. 😉

So, yeah, big props. 

I once heard a joke about a young mother with twins. Her mom called and asked how she was doing. 

She replied, "I keep praying I'm the babysitter and the parents will be home soon." 

Bless her heart! Been there myself when my kids were small. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
13 minutes ago, Ky_GirlatHeart said:

I'm still confused...

2 hours ago, Wesley Southern said:
20 hours ago, Ky_GirlatHeart said:

Is that a little self-aggrandizing? 🙃

(It's ok - Wesley is drawing a comparison between the intelligence of the kids you sit for and the babysitter herself. The affection is in the emojii. As I said, it's a compliment. It's all good.)

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, Johne said:

(It's ok - Wesley is drawing a comparison between the intelligence of the kids you sit for and the babysitter herself. The affection is in the emojii. As I said, it's a compliment. It's all good.)

Ohhhh, okay. Thanks for clearing that up! 😄

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Cecilia Marie said:

I once heard a joke about a young mother with twins. Her mom called and asked how she was doing. 

She replied, "I keep praying I'm the babysitter and the parents will be home soon." 

Bless her heart! Been there myself when my kids were small. 

Been there, too!

• Like 2