Medical advice (for my book, not me 😂)

Just now, Grey_Skies said:

Oof, ya done it again.  I'm from Michigan. 🙄

I don't like it ... but I guess the locale could change??

are you urban? Make it urban. You start writing rustic, you'll mess it up if readers don't believe your story

• Like 1
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If I'm from Louisiana and a Michiganer started telling me what my state is like, I'd be mad as a wet hen (and put down the book, hehe)

I really like this idea! I love parrots! I had a cockatiel for almost 18 years and she was my animal companion of a lifetime. A larger parrot can live for 80 years or longer. People have to put these

of course, I might tell you that the MC's father should be an alcoholic reprobate instead of a gentleman 😆

7 minutes ago, Grey_Skies said:

Audience: mostly YA, but I'd like it to be something intelligent and thoughtful enough that adults would read it.

Genre: drama, slice-of-life; at one point I thought about making it a thriller.  I did have the entire plot worked out, with a knock-out twist finale, until I realized what I was thinking was way too complicated to write.  However, I'd still love for there to be an element of dark thriller in it.  Also, the underlying theme is the father-daughter relationship.

Setting: a fictional small town in Louisiana, called Blue Bayou.  Finn lives in the sprawling ancestral family mansion, which was built nearly two hundred years ago, and it's an ex-plantation called Catharsis.

MC: Joanna Blackwell.  16 years old, impulsive, and high-strung.  At the beginning of the story, she's your typical apathetic teenager, doesn't give a hoot for authority, is on bad terms with her mother, etc.  By the end, her character arc is that she grows up, matures, and becomes a very intelligent, caring young woman, who is also very well-read to boot.  Her father's good influence is responsible for her character change.  She is clever and sassy, and not afraid to go after what she wants.

what's your time span? You don't go from apathetic to intelligent and well-read that quickly. 

Just now, Wesley Southern said:

Her father's good influence is responsible for her character change.  She is clever and sassy, and not afraid to go after what she wants.

I don't believe that the father's good influence didn't start rubbing on her until AFTER she turned 16.

1 minute ago, Wesley Southern said:

are you urban? Make it urban. You start writing rustic, you'll mess it up if readers don't believe your story

I'm not urban, I'm more rural.  I live in a comparatively small town.  The wifi is trash, if that's any indication of my surroundings.

what's your time span? You don't go from apathetic to intelligent and well-read that quickly. 

I don't know, several months, I guess.

1 minute ago, Grey_Skies said:

I'm not urban, I'm more rural.  I live in a comparatively small town.  The wifi is trash, if that's any indication of my surroundings.

I don't know, several months, I guess.

gee whiz, how do you go a total 180 in a few months? that's not realistic 😢

I don't believe that the father's good influence didn't start rubbing on her until AFTER she turned 16.

But she has been living with her mother.  She hasn't seen Finn since she was like eight, and then her mother finally got sick of her acting out, and sent her back to her father just before her 16th birthday.

Just now, Grey_Skies said:

But she has been living with her mother.  She hasn't seen Finn since she was like eight, and then her mother finally got sick of her acting out, and sent her back to her father just before her 16th birthday.

aw, no. The father isn't a good father if he ignores his daughter for eight years. There's no way he's a good influence on her after she's 16. 16 year olds already think they have the world figured out and don't want any input from their parents

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Wesley Southern said:

aw, no. The father isn't a good father if he ignores his daughter for eight years. There's no way he's a good influence on her after she's 16. 16 year olds already think they have the world figured out and don't want any input from their parents

Yeah, good point.  Unfortunately, I've got to hop off, as it's getting pretty late here.  I'll spend some time rethinking all of this.  You've given me some good stuff to turn over in my head before going to sleep tonight.  When I come up with some new and hopefully better ideas, can I tag you on this post and share them?  Thanks for all your help and suggestions, Wesley.  G'night!

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Wesley Southern said:

If I'm from Louisiana and a Michiganer started telling me what my state is like, I'd be mad as a wet hen (and put down the book, hehe)

I understand what you're saying here, but as long as she researches and presents things as accurately as possible, it would be completely fine for her to set her book in Louisiana.

• Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, HK1 said:

I understand what you're saying here, but as long as she researches and presents things as accurately as possible, it would be completely fine for her to set her book in Louisiana.

Dude, she’s already been scrapping since October. You’re not making it easier.

• Haha 1
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Wesley Southern said:

Dude, she’s already been scrapping since October. You’re not making it easier.

I'm confused... 😄 I thought we were just helping her work out a few problems with her story.

Edited by HK1
  • Like 1

This is obviously not "Exit Stage Left",  the story that you and I are working on.  It looks like this one is taking up all your time.  Could you please let me know when you'll be getting around to our writing?  Then I'll wait patiently and won't bother you about it.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
On 5/4/2021 at 8:53 PM, Grey_Skies said:

I think I'll give him a pet parrot! 😁

I really like this idea! I love parrots! I had a cockatiel for almost 18 years and she was my animal companion of a lifetime. A larger parrot can live for 80 years or longer. People have to put these birds in their wills because the parrot might outlive them.  I'm sorry, I know you are looking for medical advice. I just had to comment on this 😊

Edited by Brittany Elizabeth
  • Like 2
On 5/6/2021 at 11:27 PM, Brittany Elizabeth said:

I really like this idea! I love parrots! I had a cockatiel for almost 18 years and she was my animal companion of a lifetime. A larger parrot can live for 80 years or longer. People have to put these birds in their wills because the parrot might outlive them.  I'm sorry, I know you are looking for medical advice. I just had to comment on this 😊

Haha, thanks!  Yeah, my dad had a cockatiel for forever, long before I was born.  I grew up with that bird.  He died a few years ago, at age 25! 

• Like 1