A few hours ago I received a recorded phone call.  I heard a woman speaking.  She told my that my "...Social Security Account has been compromised."  Then she gave me another number to call. 

That sounded too similar to the scam I had to deal with last October, and some of you members here on christianwriters.com, gave me some very good advice.  So I didn't call that number, and just hung up.  I then checked her phone number.  The area code is used for Raleigh, North Carolina.  I live on Long Island, New York; so it was obviously a scam which I didn't fall for this time.

I do wonder though.  Should I contact my local Social Security Office, just to confirm that there are no problems with my account?  Should I contact the local Police, or maybe send an e-mail to the Raleigh PD?  

1 minute ago, William D'Andrea said:

A few hours ago I received a recorded phone call.  I heard a woman speaking.  She told my that my "...Social Security Account has been compromised."  Then she gave me another number to call. 

That sounded too similar to the scam I had to deal with last October, and some of you members here on christianwriters.com, gave me some very good advice.  So I didn't call that number, and just hung up.  I then checked her phone number.  The area code is used for Raleigh, North Carolina.  I live on Long Island, New York; so it was obviously a scam which I didn't fall for this time.

I do wonder though.  Should I contact my local Social Security Office, just to confirm that there are no problems with my account?  Should I contact the local Police, or maybe send an e-mail to the Raleigh PD?  

No, u do nothing.

Right. Do nothing. First of all, the SS dept will never call you. And never say yes to anything, not even if they ask you if you're William D'Andrea.

And they will your own phone number. We've received calls from our own number. Do nothing.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, lynnmosher said:

Right. Do nothing. First of all, the SS dept will never call you. And never say yes to anything, not even if they ask you if you're William D'Andrea.

And they will your own phone number. We've received calls from our own number. Do nothing.

Correct: never ever answer yes. They record your affirmative and *presto* you're agreeing to whatever they want to use your voice for.

• Like 2

You can never trust the caller ID from a phone call especially if they are using a VoIP phone as they can do a thing called spoofing which is they can make their outgoing number look like anything want to. Fo instance they can be calling from India and make it look like a number from the USA. In Australia you can ask for your number to be a silent number so it never shows up in phone books or internet searches. 

• Like 1

I just received another recorded call from what sounds like the same woman.  She repeated that my social security account had been compromised, and told me to click on number 1.  I hung up again, and again checked her phone's area code.  This time the call came from Greensboro, South Carolina.  

1 minute ago, William D'Andrea said:

I just received another recorded call from what sounds like the same woman.  She repeated that my social security account had been compromised, and told me to click on number 1.  I hung up again, and again checked her phone's area code.  This time the call came from Greensboro, South Carolina.  

All lies. Do you have caller ID on your phone? Because for me, anyway, any time I see a city calling (e.g. Austen, TX 444-444-4444 or what ever), I don't answer it, unless I know it's a friend. Hope this helps, and sorry you're having so much trouble.

I get a lot of unsolicited phone calls, and just hang up.  I also get a lot of unsolicited cellphone messages, which I delete.  It's the same way here on the internet.  Most of what appears on my yahoo mail inbox is also unsolicited, which I delete without reading.  Almost 300 a day. 

Most of the e-mails I keep come from christianwriters.com; along with personal messages from individuals I actually know, including my sister, my doctor, the pastor of the church I attend, and other personal friends.

The difference is, that I don't have to pay for any messages I get over the internet; but over the phone I do.  With cellphones, "Time is money."   

Ask your phone provider about  blocking calls. When I get a scam call I add it to the list and it is automatically blocked.

The scam that always tickles me is when I am told I have  been in a car accident I ask if I was driving?. M9 ti.es out of 10 they say yes. That's when I tell them I don't drive 🤣

• Haha 1

We don't answer any of the following calls:

Unknown Name

Any Area Code we don't know

Wireless Caller unless we recognize the number

Invalid Number

Any call from some name we don't recognize

It cuts down on our frustration. And no one wants to get either of us frustrated. Trust me on this.

On 5/5/2021 at 11:09 AM, Shamrock said:

The scam that always tickles me is when I am told I have  been in a car accident I ask if I was driving?. M9 ti.es out of 10 they say yes. That's when I tell them I don't drive 

I got this particular app that gives unlimited text and minutes, and some random number told me thank you for getting a COVID test (the results would be in two to three days). I haven't even gotten a test lately... *raises eyebrow in confusion*

• Like 1