So, I got another rejection today...

On 5/4/2021 at 5:09 PM, Johne said:

I think the larger question is 'How do I break through?' and the answer is not comforting: hard work, being in the right place at the right time, and a heaping measure / act of God. Of those three elements, the only thing we control is the hard work part. 

Well put Johne

On 5/4/2021 at 6:17 PM, Jeff Potts said:

What I did not expect (and did not know) was what an absolute bust going the agent route really was.  But, until you exhaust that avenue, you don't really know whether or not it's worth trying.  I tried it.  I doubt I'll ever try it again.

I am hearing more and more stories of writer picked up by agents AFTER they have had at least one book published by a indi publisher.  Sign of the time??

15 hours ago, Carol Peterson said:

Jeff, you should be doing the happy dance. You have received some wonderful rejections. That means they see something in your writing. Take it all as encouragement.

I'm grateful for the feedback I got (and I would like to reiterate that I ONLY got that kind of feedback from indie publishers).  However, the criticisms aren't consistent.  In fact, the criticisms have been contradictory.  One says the premise is wrong, another says they love the premise.  One says that third-person is the wrong way to write the story, the other says that third-person is good for this kind of story.  So it doesn't give me anything to hang my hat on.

The positive things highlighted by the manuscript, however, are consistent.  That tells me I'm on the right track.

And don't take this wrong, but no matter how well a rejection is worded, or how informative it is, it's still, "no."  I only break out the dancing shoes for, "yes."  🙂

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Shamrock said:

I am hearing more and more stories of writer picked up by agents AFTER they have had at least one book published by a indi publisher.  Sign of the time??

James Breakwell, the author of Only Dead on the Inside: The Parent's Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse, got picked up by an agent for being a viral sensation on Twitter.

No submission.  No query process.  The agent (from Trident) called him.

I've said this before: agents aren't pushing books, they're pushing authors.  Maybe I should wear a funny hat and tell jokes on YouTube?